Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

First Heli

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
jyossarian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Heli

I just wrecked my first micro heli, a $22 toy version. I had so much fun that I want to get a real r/c heli. After much reading, I've narrowed it down to the esky lama v4 or the esky e500. I want to fly indoors as well as outdoors. My 11 & 12 yrs olds will be learning as well. Any help deciding would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM
erdnuckel2

Default RE: First Heli

Hi,

if you are talking E500 and mean this one:

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-esky-e...th=165_121_123

this is not a heli for indoors (in particular if you are new to helis) ... except you live in a gym . After many months of practice you may actually fly it in a reasonably large room (maybe 15x20ft) in a way that you can call it "flying" and not just hovering ...

The LamaV4 however, though being still on the large side for indoors, is decent for in AND outside (if you have only very light wind ... I crashed the V3 of my friend because I tried to fly outside and it got caught by a REALLy light breeze after barely being able to fly forward because of almost nonexisting wind)

If you want to do in and out, you would probably be better off with the V4, but more likely than not the "ideal" solution would be two helis (one for inside, one for outside)

Here is an example of a good indoor heli (bought this for another friend of mine) from a shop that I already ordered more than once myself, that is close and has a really good reputation in the forums (at least I have yet to read a single bad comment about it)

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...IT_p_2536.html

But of course, all this is only my (proverbial) 2 Cents ...

have a good night ...
Sven
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: jyossarian
I just wrecked my first micro heli, a $22 toy version. I had so much fun that I want to get a real r/c heli. After much reading, I've narrowed it down to the esky lama v4 or the esky e500. I want to fly indoors as well as outdoors. My 11 & 12 yrs olds will be learning as well. Any help deciding would be greatly appreciated.
Hey jyossarian,

I agree with all that Sven just typed[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Two birds would be a better option - a smaller one (the Esky L4) for indoors 'cause the physical size of the bird is easier to fly without knocking into walls and doorways etc, and a larger one (the Esky Big Lama is a nice option) for outdoors ONLY IN LIGHT BREEZE when a smaller bird would be "lost" against the sky or background very easily!!
If you get the L4 first then you can see if it is what you (and your kids) are expecting and can handle.......

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. There is forums for all of those helicopter models with experienced fliers willing to help you fly or modify - whichever model you decide to buy[sm=49_49.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71869.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1492511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87552.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1492512  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
jyossarian

Sounds reasonable to me.

Is the Esky E 500 www.esky-heli.com/esky-e500-blue-4ch-fp-rc-helicopter-rtf-24ghz-002759-p-11158.html a Big Lama and compatable with all big lama mods?

For my first heli, I'm leaning towards getting an outdoor heli. I like the looks/price point/parts availablility of the big lama. I've had fun with an indoors micro but would like to expand the areas in which I'm able to fly. I feel like the family room with a plasma tv on the wall limits how aggressive I can be.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
pgroom_68

Sounds reasonable to me.
Is the Esky E 500 http://www.esky-heli.com/esky-e500-b...9-p-11158.html a Big Lama and compatable with all big lama mods?
For my first heli, I'm leaning towards getting an outdoor heli. I like the looks/price point/parts availablility of the big lama. I've had fun with an indoors micro but would like to expand the areas in which I'm able to fly. I feel like the family room with a plasma tv on the wall limits how aggressive I can be.
Hey again mate,

The Big Lama is THIS (also available is [link=http://www.esky-heli.com/esky-big-lama-red-4ch-coaxial-rc-helicopter-rtf-24ghz-000055-p-9965.html]RED[/link] )
A word of caution: You will find the Big Lama (or BOL as we call it here) a very easy to hover bird - but it can only be flown in light winds - 5mph max!!

Sorry, I haven't had much to do with the e500, so Maybe Sven will answer regarding e500 compatability........

P.S. The parts for the BOL are readily available and cheap....![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
P.P.S. On this side of the world I get my birds and parts from [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_79&products_id=4219]HERE[/link] - but you would be better to get them from either [link=http://www.xheli.com/biglama.html]xheli.com[/link] or [link=http://www.helidirect.com/esky-outdoor-big-lama-c-1_38_235_622.hdx]HeliDirect.com[/link] [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
erdnuckel2

Hi j.,

I have not yet tried to "convert" one of my BOLs into an E500, but according to the spare parts listings at the (reputable) dealers, the only parts NOTidentical between the two are:

* Fuselage ( http://www.helidirect.com/esky-fusel...00-p-19732.hdx ),

* Battery Holder ( http://www.helidirect.com/esky-batte...00-p-19766.hdx ) and

* landing skid ( http://www.helidirect.com/esky-landi...00-p-19770.hdx ) ...

Everything else looks to be 100% identical (but I can only say that for sure once I get those 3 parts and do a conversion .... and this might be a little while ...

Sven
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
jyossarian

I'm going to go for the e500.

I believe that I've read to make the following mods immediately:

sturdier blades
heat sinks
long inner shaft

Anything else I should get on the first purchase?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
erdnuckel2

I would say gear/shaft combo(s) and landing skid(s) . The skid is the only thing (and Iwas extremely lucky) that broke on my pod-and-boom BOL (so essentially E500) when I crahed two days ago.
And when Ihad to change the skids, I decided to change the overall appearance of the bird as well ...
so it went from BLUEto RED!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48341.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1492625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68529.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1492626  
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
aircrash

The Nine Eagles Free Spirit Micro (or Solo V1) is indeed a very good indoors (only) helicopter.
I`ve seen it in action, I wanted one.
But it is too small and looks like a toy (although it is not).
Add to this that it is a expensive and so Iended up on a cheap indoors toy, a Syma S107.

On the other hand if you really like to go outdoors then buy a Big Lama.
I have some, I like them. Notice that it does not like wind though.

The E-500...
Hmm, I`ve seen it on the shops.
It is smaller than the Big Outdoor Lama.
So immediately lost any interest on it.

Modding a Big Lama.
I think only your imagination can limit you.
But the "needed" upgrades are: heatsinks, extended inner shaft, lots of batteries, a second charger (to speed up charging proccess).

PS. Sven this red one looks even better!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM
jyossarian

After seeing Sven's modded BOL, Idon't want the E500 anymore. What I really want is a BOL that I can mod as I break it.

That pod and boom BOL started out as the orange and purple stock BOL; or did you build it from scratch? Either way I'm very impressed and both your skill and the versatility of the BOL.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM
erdnuckel2

Thanks for the compliment, Spiros and j.

To answer the question j., it would be kind of "yes" to both "assumptions" ... It kind of started as a stock BOL, but considering that most of it is NOT stock anymore, it is kind of like a scratch build. And there are a few things that need to be done in preparation for the conversion ...

... but to sum it up Spiros said it in a way you cannot say it much better: "In modding a BOL, your only limitation is your imagination"

(another example for this: a friend of mine actually flies a BOLthat has been fitted with a special gadget to enable him to fly 4s batteries ... and he does this with Xtreme380XS motors ... this is the most powerful BOL - as far as brushed motors are concerned - that I have seen up to date ...

And j., I documented the making of the Blue BOL in a seperate BOL thread on my blog on RCGroups.com (go there, search for erdnuckel2 and click my name ... or use simons link [thanks simon!])

Anyway, to get from the blue one to the red one was actually a question of less than 10 minutes ... If all parts are already prepared it can actually be done in less than 2min ...

The only problem is, you will not be able to find all the parts at one place ... it took me a while to gather them (from China, Germany and the US) but I also feel like it was worth while. I will however also admit, this comes with a price ... literally. (I doubt there are many people who would buy a heli like this as a complete item ... at least a CoAx anyway ...)

I may put the build process on my blog once more detailed to the t, mainly from a cost perspective and with alternatives that I consider a decent option to the expensive "original" ... but that may take a few days or so ... depending on what work will tell me the remainder of the week ...

And j, one more thing in which most guys on here would surely agree: it is - even more so if you are relatively new to helis/coaxes - always a good idea to change/mod only one thing at a time ... this way it is a lot easier to zoom in on what is most likely the cause for a problem if the heli "behaves" worse after a mod than before ...

Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
aircrash

I believe that I've read to make the following mods immediately:

sturdier blades
heat sinks
long inner shaft

Anything else I should get on the first purchase?
At least a second battery.
A li-po voltage indicator is good to have also.
Some crash repair parts, as a flybar, an outer shaft, a set of blades, two upper blades more.
And some canopy shoring tube. See another thread here. I myself use some ink tube out of bic pens.

As tools you need a 1.5mm hex, a philips PH0 & PH1 screwdriver, and a long nose pliers.

After getting into the Big Lama flights then you can start modding it and/or upgrading it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
pgroom_68

After seeing Sven's modded BOL, I don't want the E500 anymore. What I really want is a BOL that I can mod as I break it.
That pod and boom BOL started out as the orange and purple stock BOL; or did you build it from scratch? Either way I'm very impressed and both your skill and the versatility of the BOL.
Hey again J,

Order yourself a Big Outdoor Lama (BOL) and, as you say, fly/break and modify away!! Read you on the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8216608/mpage_249/key_/tm.htm]Big Lama[/link] thread mate

P.S. The collective group of BOL fliers on that thread know most things - and can help you with most probs that you may encounter.......[sm=regular_smile.gif]
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
erdnuckel2

I would second Peters suggestion from the last post j.,

buy yourself a BOLand fly/break it ( ... always fun ? ...) and then let your imagination run wild ...

Here are two suggestions to start out:

1. http://www.xheli.com/2esbigoulaco.html
(up to now Ionly had good experiences with these guys ... contrary to quite a few posts I read over time ...)

2. http://www.helidirect.com/esky-outdo...ue-p-13081.hdx
(also one of my favorite shops in the US ... initial expense will be a little higher (10$), but overall supply of parts - and less distance to your location - may make up for that ...

Sven