RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   Honeybee King v2 tuner shop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/6043372-honeybee-king-v2-tuner-shop.html)

crashcrash 07-07-2008 01:49 PM

RE: Honeybee King v2 tuner shop

" i noticed that i gained more tail control and head stability. "......exactly.:D

betapilot 07-07-2008 02:32 PM

Hey Mark, the thing about the tail upgrade is even though you do go up in O/D, the amount of throw to the positive and the negative are greater each way so you do not run out of travel when trying to fight a heavy load from the mains, plus the bearings do not create as much drag as the sloppy stock bearings which also results in more efficiency. Here is the thing about the high vs low gearing you also have to consider, the tail with a lower gear will ultimately spin faster but will take longer to achieve those rpms than a tail with a larger rear gear (or more teeth). Where do you fly most often, full throttle all the time or around 50-70% throttle? I understand 3d flight is different but they do not fly full throttle all the time either, so considering more of your time is spent in the 25-75% throttle range that is where you need to attain your optimal rpms, not at full throttle range? You want response in the range you fly in cause control in areas you don't fly in doesn't matter and having a quicker tail would be a result of a larger gear (or more teeth). When I set up a hot rod for 1/4 mile times, I do not go and put a rear end in it that will get 150 but take forever to get there, I run 4.56 so I have power where I need it in the short run where it benefits me the most and really the time you need it the most is when large amounts of throttle are introduced and if you are already at full throttle then you will most likely not be introducing large amounts of throttle over and above that. Like anything else, a pilot has to calculate, adjust, and experiment to attain the best results

Rosebud6 07-07-2008 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to do the frame mod but then decided to try something different. I took a piece of plastic from an cheap-o toolbox, cut it to shape in the motor mount and used it as a shim. Have never had to mod a frame since. You have to use longer screws but is worth it not to have to weaken an already fragile frame. Only thing i had to mod was the hole where the pinion goes through.

Edit: Added some pics.
I also use one of the mounts that Beta speaks of and works great as well.

betapilot 07-07-2008 02:42 PM

Hamid - send me your address and I will send you a billet motor mount that will eliminate any modification to frame no charge, or if you have any machining capabilities I will send you instructions and specs to make your own. I was trying to post a pic but it is iffy every time, I will try to take another pic and post it. I definitely agree that the new motor will make a ton of difference in stability, more power is always better.

reel109 07-07-2008 02:44 PM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here run their esc in governor mode to keep the head speed constant? I am using it now and it does seem to make the setup much easier. All you have to do is adjust the pitch curve. Or am I missing something?

Jim

joizeex 07-07-2008 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

" i noticed that i gained more tail control and head stability. "......exactly.:D

crash, you rascal, you better not be taking me out of context!!! :)

crashcrash 07-07-2008 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: joizeex

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

crash, you rascal, you better not be taking me out of context!!! :)

Naughhhhhh....I just agree with you whole heartedly. I know tail control has been an issue since day one, and there's a LOT of corrections/fixes. Simply, a good motor, good belt tracking, and 450 tail blades do A LOT for good tail control.

joizeex 07-07-2008 04:32 PM

yea, i actually had to move the tail servo back because now at neutral rudder it was compensating too much because of higher rpms.

in other concerns, i gotta get me a stronger feathering shaft, the damn thing bends every time there's even a light contact of blade tips with ground (farm). i have regular shaft spares, but i end up just hammering it back to almost perfect and reusing the same one. i know ushobbysupply sells that "tough as nails" spindle, so i'm gonna grab one. is it really as tough as advertised?

Zimatosa 07-07-2008 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

anyone know where the cheapest place online I can get a hbk2 besides ebay?

Find the cheapest and Hobby-Lobby will beat that price by 10%...I got free shipping as well. Just tell them that the website you found is going to ship it for free....I do not like to buy parts from Hobby-Lobby though. Their customer support for parts and the service they give(or don't give) is a suck-fest!

Z

HeliStyle 07-07-2008 06:37 PM

I got a questions about the honeybee king 2, i want to get one but what are the flaws in this heli, I heard the stock brushed motor wil last like 5 flights, I was going to read the whole thread but its like 200 pages long lol

HeliStyle 07-07-2008 06:39 PM

I have a blade cx2 and can fly that with no problem and had a cp pro but got rid of it because the tail motors sucked, so do you think this honeybee king 2 will be alot better?

betapilot 07-07-2008 06:56 PM

Dude, they all have issues, none are perfect but for the money they are a good buy and a good heli, you will like it much more than the cp or the cp pro

HeliStyle 07-07-2008 06:59 PM

yeah I know all have there problems, but after all the tail motor problems with the cp pro, I wanna get a belt driven and the esky honeybee 2 sounds like a good deal for its price

crashcrash 07-07-2008 07:16 PM

yeah I know all have there problems, but after all the tail motor problems with the cp pro, I wanna get a belt driven and the esky honeybee 2 sounds like a good deal for its price
In the 300 class, the HBKII is top dog in my opinion. It has the size of the 300 yet some parts are interchangable with 400 class, you can improve this heli tremendously but even as stock with just a brushless motor/ESC, it's great. I think the HBKII has more options,upgrades, and scale fuse options than any other heli on the market. It's popularity is close to that of T-Rex I believe.

HeliStyle 07-07-2008 07:19 PM

yeah thats one of the main reasons why I was looking to buy one, do you reccomend to go brushless right away, im just going to be doing basic forward flight

betapilot 07-07-2008 07:40 PM

definitely!

lohchief 07-07-2008 07:46 PM

yeah thats one of the main reasons why I was looking to buy one, do you reccomend to go brushless right away, im just going to be doing basic forward flight
The stock brushed pos motor might not let you do much anything.Get yourself a brushless,and an esc to go along with it,and enjoy.
-lohchief

crashcrash 07-07-2008 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: lohchief

The stock brushed pos motor might not let you do much anything.Get yourself a brushless,and an esc to go along with it,and enjoy.
-lohchief

I agree with everyone....don't even use the brushed motor...go right to brushless. I've got a handfull of those junk stock motors not even used....I pull 'em, and throw them in a pile right off a new heli. The disappointment you'll have if you try the brushed motor is high.

theradioflyer 07-07-2008 09:10 PM

Hey Crash/Vic, I made it over to the tuner shop:D

I bought a HBKII on Vic's and many others advise. It didn't stay stock for more than a few days. I'm running the Extreme Production 4000kv motor and 10T Align pinion. It's a drop in with no frame mod and delivers very consistent power through +10 degrees pitch, bogs a hair after that. Bad thing, and this could have just been from a bad batch, was that 2 of the wires came off right out of the package:eek: I can solder well so I just fixed it. So far good power for the price[8D] that is if you can solder;)

God Bless Y'all,

Jay

funflier 07-07-2008 11:45 PM

Thank you for showing us a picture of it.![8D]
I brought this up on a thread back at the beginning of the year and got a lot of flack from people saying it cannot be done like that and I didnt know what I was talking about and I had to cut the frame... Don't you just hate it when someone tells you it can't be done AFTER you already did it..
Not having a camera availabe at that time I couldnt take a picture of it. I used a larger thick chunk of scrap alumn when I made mine and I had no interference with the back of the frame as the motor was up high enough like yours to miss the frame. I like the plastic idea better then the alum as its much faster and easier to work.
I have a frame stiffener coming this week from Heli Direct and I believe they also have did much the same thing on it, moving the motor UP instead cutting the frame.

funflier 07-08-2008 12:06 AM

On that tail, how many teeth are on that rear sprocket? Something I have noticed is that on the stock sprocket the teeth do not follow the sprocket due to its small size. On that CNC tail I see it has that idler that 'Wraps" the belt around the sprocket. That ads weight and bulk but does it make the stock belt follow the gear cogs?
Does this use a stock belt? I run a 43 tooth sprocket can I use my 43 tooth belt and a cnc tail on a custom fiberglass boom (8.25mm OD)so I could just make another boom diff lenght I guess. Actually on a CNC tail the fiberglass boom does not fit all the way into the cnc tail so it ment cutting the boom shorter to use the 43 tooth belt however the length of the cnc tail piece makes up for what was cut off.
I could switch to a Trex or a Pigeon belt however for a fact I found that the Trex belt is wider then our stock Esky King belt (CP belt is same Trex belt too)

betapilot 07-08-2008 12:25 AM

Well with the 8.25 dia. you cannot run the cnc tail as it is only 8mm, and you are way too small to go to the 450 tail assy., if you wish to stay same length boom and run the 43t with it belt then I suggest a falcon3d boom and a dragonus belt. The problem you are running into with the belt is you need a direct drive system to run the skinny belts. I modified one for a customer and have done one for myself using the falcons boom and the hdx cnc tail with the dragons belt and it works very well. There are more than one reason I like this upgrade, things like the guide bearing on top making sure the belt enters the boom proper, and the fact that the entrance canal in the collar is oval shape instead of just round making sure again the belt maintains more of a true 90 coming into the tail assembly. It is heavier than the stock plastic tail set-up and as always will require a re-tune of your set-up but in my opinion other than a b/l system it is the best money spent on a king, especially if you are not quite to the level of having a programmable radio. Having said all of this, I do not think you will like the gearing set-up you will have (w/ the 43t, I have never tested it that way) since you will be going up a tooth in the rear, but keep in mind that the tail shaft itself can be changed out with a number of different geared trex and hdx tail shafts. I actually swapped mine out for the hdx tail shaft kit with the set screw gear on the shaft so I can make changes in gearing without replacing the shaft and it takes 5 minutes to do it.

hamid_fireage 07-08-2008 02:44 AM

Thanks guys,
Your posts was very helpful. It seems installation of this motor is not a very hard job. Im going to do it and will post the results.

hamid_fireage 07-08-2008 03:39 AM

Thank you Rusty - I realy appreciate your attention. But i dont wanna put you in effort to send me anything with no charge. I know a bit of machining, my father was a violin maker some years ago, and we have many tools needed to do this job. I just want to know if I put the plate under the motor then would the shaft long enough for installing the pinion and touch the main gear properly?
It would be grateful if you send me any instruction here or e-mail me. I will PM you my e-mail.
Thanks again.

hamid_fireage 07-08-2008 04:22 AM

One other thing, I have a 10T pinion and dont know if its good for the 3800 motor or not? Im trying to post a picture of it.
Thanks again.