Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

handling of event monies

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default handling of event monies

I am just curious as to how other clubs handle money from events, and does your club complain as much as mine about what i spent to put on the event even though i made the club lots of money and asked for none up front, should i have to ask the club for approval on event exspences if i dont ask for any money from the club because i pay the exspences out of pilot fees. when does the money belong to the club..I know its all goes to the club, but i should be able to put on the event, pay my exspences out of the monies made and then at the end of the event give all the money and reciets to the club, and as long as i have made money i shouldnt get a rash of @#$% from the club after... what do you guys think..
Old 01-14-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: handling of event monies

Speed, I have one piece of advice from many years of free help and officering, event running, field maintenance, etc. The first time anyone complains about your FREE help, be real quick to tell them where to pick up the event papers and documents so THEY can run it to their own satisfaction.

Dr.1
Old 01-14-2006, 01:15 PM
My Feedback: (16)

With our club, any member can host an event. The member doesn't owe the club anything. Usually other members will help with the event and many times the club will spend money to help with the advertisment and other small expenses.

If the member wants to donate part of the pilot fees or something to the club then great. To my knowledge, the Henry County RC Club has never made members who hosted an event at our club pay a single dime. What we ask is to donate to the club and historically it has been $5 per pilot.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:48 PM

i wish our club thought like that, seems like lately all our club cares about is the money, I didnt join to put my money into savings i joined to fly and use that money for field inprovements, used to be that you could have an event and be ok as long as you broke even or made a little money, now if you dont make 1000.00 dollars or more you didnt do very well. were supposed to be non profite but all they care about is profite. anyways just makes me mad.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 PM

Are you really non-profit? Is your club listed that way in the charter and incorporation?

It's good to have money in a checking or savings account for those little surprises that come along, like the windstorm that blows your shelter over. However, making money shouldn't be the main focus of the club. Furthering the sport of R/C and assuring the members have a place to fly should be.

Dr.1
Old 01-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedaholic

I am just curious as to how other clubs handle money from events, and does your club complain as much as mine about what i spent to put on the event even though i made the club lots of money and asked for none up front, should i have to ask the club for approval on event exspences if i dont ask for any money from the club because i pay the exspences out of pilot fees. when does the money belong to the club..I know its all goes to the club, but i should be able to put on the event, pay my exspences out of the monies made and then at the end of the event give all the money and reciets to the club, and as long as i have made money i shouldnt get a rash of @#$% from the club after... what do you guys think..
In over 40 years as an AMA Contest Director, I have run into many different thoughts on this question and have handled it in many ways. Trying to address most of your questions with just experience -- in no way saying or implying that my way/s are anywhere near correct or the real answer -- I have become somewhat addicted to this general thought-line and course of action.

The event is on the club's facility therefore it should be voted OK by the club. Any money taken in should go to the club and the club is responsible to reimburse reasonable expenses.
When the event is discussed in the club meeting, I ask for a budget figure that the club could tolerate as a LOSS-FIGURE.
If I do not think I can do better than that amount, then I do not perform the event.
In large events I ask for seed money up front. Anything under $1000.00, I generally just give the Treasurer a bill with a detailed receipt for costs.
Generally I get the Club Treasurer to either be the Registrar and take in entry fees, or have him appoint someone to do that. I don't like to handle the money. Even so for the raffles.
For the past 10 years, I have only been CD for Club Events. We have a kitchen for lunches, etc. The kitchen crew is responsible to the Treas. for their costs, any seed money, and the return. I run Operations, not Support.

After all is added up, if there is a loss, and it exceeded budget, I would feel responsible. However that hasn't yet happened, although the profits are sometimes small, but if anyone wants better, then the CD spot can be theirs with no tears from me. I don't pay a lot of attention to the whining do-nothings.

I used to want an event to make a large profit, however that is no longer my concern. I only wish to at least break even, and for all involved to have a good time, some fun, camaraderie, and look forward to the next one, plus hearing a few say it was a well managed event. That's good enough for me.

So if there is any help here, that's fine. If not, well, so be it. Best of luck with your events.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 AM

i agree that the money goes to the club from the event, but here is the deal, I have been doing warbird event for a few years, not to big but always made a little so some other members wanted to help, we got ideas together and started planning, the club said since its a new event the budget was only 250.00. now i can barely do advertising for that much, the trophys were alot more than that, so when they say 250.00 is that supposed to be total expences for the event or just what i can get from the club in advance. I set the pilots fees to cover the exspences that i knew i was going to have: trophys, dinner, raffle..ect. We spent probably 1500-2000 all said and done, and the pilots fees covered theose exspences and the club snack bar made profit, and donations at the gate, so the club still profited about 1500-2000 dollars. I just feel that since i make the cost for the event and set the fee, i shouldnt be questioned on how i spent the pilots fees for the pilots...they said really i didnt make any money only the snackbar and donations made money, I say without my pilots and advertising there wouldnt be people there for them to make that money, so i did make them that money, not to mention all the new members they got off that event who are now paying yearly dues...AM I WRONG???
Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
My Feedback: (1)

At my club, the Aero Modelers of Perrine (AMPS) in Miami, FL, the club runs the event, not an individual. What I mean is that the club assigns a budget, which is a guideline not a hard press figure. The Contest Director is responsible for the flight line and the club runs the kitchen and public raffles. Expenses are paid by the club and profits are earned by the club. We have had events with a profit of $100 to events where we made over $2000.

Even though there is always someone that complains, the majority of the members (I must say, present to vote on the issue) are in agreement with this general rules. I think that even if we were to loose money on an event, it will be looked at as where did we go wrong and what do we need to do to prevent it from happening again.

If your club is not willing to support your efforts, don't do it. You are not benefiting from all the hard work you put into the event, only the club is...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Speedoholic, Sounds to me like the club is more upset that they did not know of your intentions before hand. I can not see how they could be mad if you told them of your intentions prior to the event. IE: I am planning on putting up 1-2k of my own money at my own risk to sponsor the event. after I am riembursed all profits go to the club. If the event is a losing proposition I am out the money not the club. It just seems to me like you did not comunicate your intentions with the club (i could be wrong) I just can't see why they would be mad if they had all of the facts and voted on your actions before hand. Also remember the larger the event the more liability is involved with the club. I once belonged to a club that rented the field from the town and we could not have any large events due to that fact.