Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Castle AFB/Chowchilla/???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle AFB/Chowchilla/???

The giant scale fly in, where will it be in 2009?
I heard Fresno was taking this over.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Castle AFB/Chowchilla/???

KW, here is the event info from the AMA web site.

Fresno Memorial Day Giant Scale Fly In

5/21/09-5/24/09 - Madera, CA (C) Fresno Memorial Day Giant Scale Fly In. Site: Club Field. John Lockwood CD, 2502 Escalon Ave Clovis CA 93611 PH:559-298-1606 email: [email protected]. Visit www.frcm.org. 3 miles west of Hiway 41 on north side of Ave 12. 11 miles east of Hiway 99, 650' x 75' paved runway. 10,000 sq ft paved, shaded pits, handicapted sanitary facilities, food at field, night flying ok, 80" mono, 60" biplane. Sponsor: FRESNO RADIO MODELERS

John is the active IMAA and Fresno club member.

Dan
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 PM
modelflyer5

The CD of the IMAA giant scale event was unable to secure the Chowchilla airport this year due to a new President of the FAA not wanting RC events to be held at airports anymore. He would have pulled the much needed funding from the airport if they let the event happen. The same thing would have happened at castle.

John Lockwood is not "taking over the event". When the Chowchilla event was not going to be put on, our club decided to try to put on our own event on the same weekend so that the pilots would still have an event to participate in. We are not even requiring an IMAA membership to participate.

We hope that the Chowchilla event finds a new home next year. We so much love participating in it. We wish the Chowchilla CD (whose name escapes me right now, sorry!!!) the best of luck next year and that the Fresno Radio Modelers would love to help to put this event back on for next year under it's original management. We will truely miss it this year.

John has expressed to me his wishes to not step on anyone's toes in putting on this event. We wish that the event could have went on as usual this year and hope for it next year.

I hope this helps. I have posted our flier below.

Matt R

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42153.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1175501  
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM
KW_Counter

Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.
A really big THANKS for helping to preserve this great event!
I wish you all the best of luck.
KW_Counter
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
j_keiter
My Feedback: (21)

Videos from the 2011 IMAA Mini-Fest at Castle Air Base in Atwater, CA are on youtube.com. Search for IMAA Mini-Fest Castle 2011.

Jason Keiter
Vacaville, CA