Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL 2009 - WW I SCALE FLY IN

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL 2009 - WW I SCALE FLY IN

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL 2009 - WW I SCALE FLY IN

The Chipola R/C Aviators are again sponsoring:

SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL WW I SCALE FLY IN

The event will again be held at [link=http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/]Hodges Hobbies[/link] in Andersonville, Georgia, December 4-5, 2009. It is open to all WW I era scale (1909-1918) R/C aircraft (Please no Sticks, Antics, etc)

The format is generally open Fly in, however, we have one optional fun event scheduled each day.

Major Sponsors as of October 1, 2009 are:

Balsa USA, Glenn Torrance Models, Bob's Hobby Center (Orlando, FL), Xoar Propellers, Artist Steve Anderson, Dynamic Balsa, and RC Report On line.

Again we have great prizes and awards for various catagories. A apecial award will be given for a plane flying with a Xoar WW I style propeller.

Links to all these sponsors are on our website: [link=http://home.earthlink.net/~chipolarcaviators/]SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL[/link]

For additional info, please contact me at [email protected]

When you contact one of our Sponsors, please thank them for sponsoring Southern Dawn Patrol

Dale Cavin, CD
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
bookmaker

Default RE: SOUTHERN DAWN PATROL 2009 - WW I SCALE FLY IN

I was just asked a question about aircraft qualified for Southern Dawn Patrol.

The basis for this event is to promote aircraft of the WW I era and aircraft leading up to the Great War.

The general guideline is this:

The model should be a scale (or reasonably scale) representation of aircraft originally designed, and examples flown prior to the end of 1918. This general rule includes aircraft later used in other capacities such as DH4's used as mail planes, Jennies used as barnstormers, Fokkers and SPADS painted in bright post war colors, Etc. Also, if the particular plane was built in 1919, but meets the design and first flown criteria, it qualifies also. An example is a DH 4 built in 1919 and used as a mail plane. Since the design was prior to 1919 and examples of the DH 4 was flown prior to 1919, it will qualify.

The intent is not to get into a hair splitting bright line of what qualifies and what doesn't, but rather to keep to the spirit of the WW I era. Antics, Elders, etc, generally do not qualify.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Dale
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 AM
bookmaker

We are going to print nice name tags, with a Steve Anderson print for the background, for those attending Southern Dawn Patrol.

If you are planning to attend, send me your name, state you live in, and what you plan to bring to fly.

In addition to printing a name tag, we are going to start a list of planned attendees on the website.

Dale [email protected]
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
bookmaker

We have added a list of those planning to participate in this year's Southern Dawn Patrol.

If you are planning to attend, please send me your name, home state, plane(s) you plan to bring with type, scale and manufacturer. Such as: John Doe, KY, Fokker D VII, 1/4, Proctor

Please send the info to me at [email protected].

Dale
Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
bookmaker

We've started a list on the website of proposed participants for 2009. If you are planning to attend SDP and want on the list (It helps us for planning also), contact me and we'll get you in the list.

We are also working on arrangements to reserve a room at a local restaurant for participants to order dinner (etc) and we'll show a WW I related movie.

Dale
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
bookmaker

It was mentioned earlier that there will be a special prize drawing for pilots whose model is flying with a Xoar WW I style propeller.

While there are several sizes and styles of the WW I props, there are an awful lot of models that cannot use them due to size or style issues. Therefore, the pool for the Xoar prize has been expanded to include models using ANY Xoar propeller.

If you haven't tried a Xoar prop, you should do so, they are top notch.

Dale

Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
bookmaker

Two weeks to go until Southern Dawn Patrol. Preliminary response looks like we are going to have a nice turnout with some great aircraft.

For those who have never been to Hodges Hobbies and are planning to use GPS or MapQuest/Google Maps navigation, review the route for reasonableness. Last year some attendees were run through the backwoods of much of Georgia by the computed route.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contace me. [email protected]

Dale
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish all of your flyers a great time. I am sad to say I cant get there. But I agree that Xoar makes a great prop. Hope your wind is light and down the runway. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29326.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1319348  
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
bookmaker

Thanks Jeff, it's a pretty long haul for you, but sorry you can't make it.

Yes, we are hoping for gentle winds, no rain and comfortable temps. (averages are low 60's high. 39-40 low)

Dale
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
bookmaker

We are adding additional sponsors for this event.

Today we added [link=http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/]Williams Brothers Model Products[/link] and [link=http://www.warbirdcolors.com/]Warbird Colors[/link].

Check the website for additional sponsors, and please support them. They support us.

Dale
Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
bookmaker

Mac Hodges has arranged for a private room at one of the local restaurants for Friday evening Dec 4.

We are inviting all attendees to an off the menu, dutch treat dinner starting at 7pm. During dinner we will play a classic WW I era flying movie.

If you would like to join in, please e-mail me the number in your group who plan to attend so that we can get a general head count. [email protected]

Also, thanks to Horizom Hobby who has joiuned the list of sponsors.

Dale
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
bookmaker

Looking at the weather for this weekend's event, we could not ask for much better. After a storm blows through Wednesday, skies are forecasted to clear, and winds for Fri and Sat are forecast at less than 10. It will be cooler than average, but you can't have everything.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Rose and I are leaving for Andersonville, Wednesday afternoon and will be away from computers from about 11:30am on. If you need to contact me about SDP, please call my cell 850-209-7058.

Drive careful.

Dale
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
bookmaker

The January issue of [link=http://www.rcreport.net/index.php]RC Report OnLine[/link] magazine has an article and photos on the 2009 Southern Dawn Patrol.

Check it out.

Thanks again to all who participated.

Dale