Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

mekp

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mekp

hi hear on the rock amyl nitrate and isopropyl nitrate are illegal and i was trying mekp has any one used it?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ldalmas
hi hear on the rock amyl nitrate and isopropyl nitrate are illegal and i was trying mekp has any one used it?
Isn't methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEKP) a hardener catalist for polyester resin? It is extremely hazardous and will permanently blind you if gotten in your eyes. But, I don't know about it's use in Diesel fuel
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 PM

It is listed in Dr. Diesel's pamphlet. I have never used it but would search out its corrosion properties. I'm a scientist by trade and the structure worries me. It is certainly not health friendly but I'm sure you are smart enough to avoid contact.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:22 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget THAT STUFF A use amsoil cetane booster ethyl hexanitrate 2-3% should do it replace amyl nitrate which is almost impossible to get due to the druggies use martin

Last edited by AMB; 12-16-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: USE
Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tiny drop of MEKP in an eye and you'll be blind in a matter of seconds. Not sure if MEK works as a substitute for amyl nitrate but iso propyl nitrate (IPN) certainly can be used.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide is nasty stuff.

A safer option is to buy a quart bottle of Amsoil Cetane Boost (MSDS 2-Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate).

If not available in Malta Bardahl market a similar product cetane boost product in Europe for road diesel engines. You can see the canister for it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKMVpklGt2c

Last edited by fiery; 12-16-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:20 PM

well none of these substances are something which you can put in your coffee, i tried bardhal cetane booster but did not give me much 'boost' mekp worked much better
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Unfortunately like of lot of automotive products Bardahl cetane boost only contains 15% 2-Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate (2-EHN), the balance is a soup of paraffinic hydrocarbons. You would need to use it a 8 ~10% B/V in your fuel to obtain the benefit of the cetane improver.

I did that with a similar Wynn's product (Wynn's Diesel Boost). It worked well at 10% of the mix, but gave my fuel a very disagreeable odour.

Most use Amsoil as it is at least 60% 2-EHN.