Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Mk 17 prop driver bush removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:53 AM
sw74gls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk 17 prop driver bush removal

Hi guys could anyone please advise on how to remove the front prop bushing please?
it has a small collet on the inside between the crank and the bushing, I'm presuming it is a tapered fitting but how would I remove it please ?many thanks Simon.
​​
Old 07-08-2018, 05:31 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sw74gls
Hi guys could anyone please advise on how to remove the front prop bushing please?
it has a small collet on the inside between the crank and the bushing, I'm presuming it is a tapered fitting but how would I remove it please ?many thanks Simon.
​​
If you have a heat gun, try heating the bushing and than gently pry it with a screw driver. Most collets are made either from brass or aluminum and will therefore expand more than the steel crankshaft.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I save up broken APC props. They have sharp edges. I wedge them behind the prop driver from each side and mount the two prop blades in a vice. Carefully squeeze the vice so that the old prop blades wedge even further into the gap, and gently heat the driver. It should pop off. I usually leave the prop nut (or spinner) on so that the tapered collet doesn't fly off. Prying with a screwdriver could mark the driver and/or the crankcase.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 PM
sw74gls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks for your help I'll give it a go , cheers Simon