Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

Thread specs for Irvine .40 Diesel prop nut?

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Thread specs for Irvine .40 Diesel prop nut?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 12:49 PM
franchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thread specs for Irvine .40 Diesel prop nut?

Hello:

What are the threads on the Irvine .40 Diesel prop nut?

Tia,

Franchi
Old 11-04-2023, 12:46 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by franchi
Hello:

What are the threads on the Irvine .40 Diesel prop nut?

Tia,

Franchi
The internet says that it should be a standard 1/4" x 28 tpi UNF. To confirm, try a nut off another of your engines with a 1/4" dia shaft thread.

Last edited by qazimoto; 11-04-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:38 PM
franchi

Yes and no. The 1/4 28 nut will fit loosely on the Irvine shaft. The Irvine of nut will not start on the 1/4 28 shaft.

I can only hope that it is not a BA thread! Lol

Franchi
Old 11-04-2023, 06:55 PM
qazimoto

Rest assured that it's not a BA thread. No one has used one of those on a production engine for at least half a century, particularly Irvine. Anyway if it was they're still available. I have an assortment of BA taps and dies with which to make one.

From what brand and size of engine did said nut originate? Do you have an accurate measuring device with which you can measure the diameter of the Irvine shaft? Which Irvine .40 diesel are we discussing? A pic would be good. There are many different Irvine .40 engines both diesel and glow. Going through the Irvine 40 and 53 engine tests on Sceptre-Flight they all had a 1/4" x 28tpi front shaft thread. Many had a removable front shaft thread.

See: http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...sts/Index.html

Last edited by qazimoto; 11-04-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:24 PM
franchi

Hello Gaz:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will make a few checks when I get some time. I did check Sceptre engine reports and saw that they were indeed 1/4-28. My engine is one of the last Irvine .40 Diesels manufactured. I have broken it in and am ready to fly it in a large sport-stunt airplane. It looks like a quality piece of kit!

What would you suggest for a C/L venturi and nva? I would like to replace the RC. carb. Is there anywhere I may purchase a CL setup?

Stay well,

Franchi

Old 11-06-2023, 12:52 AM
qazimoto

Originally Posted by franchi
Hello Gaz:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will make a few checks when I get some time. I did check Sceptre engine reports and saw that they were indeed 1/4-28. My engine is one of the last Irvine .40 Diesels manufactured. I have broken it in and am ready to fly it in a large sport-stunt airplane. It looks like a quality piece of kit!

What would you suggest for a C/L venturi and nva? I would like to replace the RC. carb. Is there anywhere I may purchase a CL setup?

Stay well,

Franchi

Just Engines in the UK used to offer C/L conversions for the engines they used to sell. There was one for a glow Irvine .40. Possibly a piece of the past now.

https://www.justengines.co.uk/produc...v=6cc98ba2045f

https://www.justengines.co.uk/produc...v=6cc98ba2045f

Otherwise about the only real NVA suitable is probably a large ENYA product. Available on ebay. You're probably on your own with the c/l venturi. That would have to be a custom item. Not many Irvine .40's diesels made it into control line models
The simplest solution is probably one of the no lathe suggestions offered in this thread on a UK c/l forum.

https://www.controlline.org.uk/phpBB...=210081#210081

:-)

Last edited by qazimoto; 11-06-2023 at 01:58 PM.