Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

4 stroke diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:45 PM
bristol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke diesel

Hi:

With the risk of showing my stupidity, if 4 strokers are more efficient than 2 strokers and diesels are more efficient than glow, how come there aren't any 4 stoke diesels? I have a diesel M-Benz and i'm sure it's a 4 stroker. I'll guess it's because it would be difficult to regulate the compression without changing the head.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: 4 stroke diesel

A couple of months ago I ran my Saito .80 on Diesel fuel, it ran well up to about 50% of the throttle arm travel. Any more throttle than that and it began to make self destruct noises. It was obvious it had lots of power because at that point it turned a 13x6 scimitar at 7,700 rpm. This particular .80 has a 14.4 to 1 compression ratio, the newer ones are lower, I may try it in my .91.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:29 PM
DerFly

Neil Tidey of Laser engines used to or still does make an .80 four stroke diesel.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:34 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobbsy the saito thing I have a new 91 never run3 -4 years old gobs of compression
Bob davis mentioned this to me a couple of years ago that he ran one too. I do not
know if good idea or not. at least not past half throttle but will try it
Old 12-31-2003, 06:02 AM
bristol

Thanks. I'll try Laser. The reason or looking at a 4 stroke diesel is for eficiency. I'm trying o build a Senior Telemater for endurance. Seems like gas ignition, diesel 2 stroke or diesel 4 stroke could be good alternatives. I flew a Senior Telemaster with an ASP 60 glow. It had plenty of power at that wing loading. I believe it would still have enough power even with 1 galon of fuel on board.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Jester2005

Interesting thread here

Everyone assumes diesel conversions have to be 2 strokes ????
Think may be more complex with contra piston and valve relationship
But 4 stroke should be more efficent on fuel

Will follow closely seeing if anything comes back from Neil Tidey / Davis Diesel
....Holy Grail maybe...
Old 12-31-2003, 03:34 PM
bristol

I'll keep you posted. Bob Davis very graciously answered my email in about a minute flat. Unluckily, his company is not interested in these engines. With such a high development cost and small market, I suppose it's not profitable for them. I also e-mailed Laser but am still waiting for an answer, after all, it is Xmas season. I'm inclined to try a 60 or 90 4 stroke on elecronic ignition and a 60 2 stroke diesel but will keep trying to get the 4 stroke diesel.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:56 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a fellow that bought a few Laser diesels (thought they were .70's?) and I was pretty sure he said they are no longer available.

AJC
Old 01-01-2004, 09:14 AM
bristol

Would your friend be willing to sell one or could you please ask him how they worked?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2004, 11:17 PM
suman
My Feedback: (16)

I have two Laser 80 diesels a friend bough for me in Germany. They are very rare, and no longer in production. They seriously lack power. No more than 1 bhp. I have plans for a four stroke diesel, but have never gotten around to doing anything about it.

Suman
Old 01-02-2004, 09:51 AM
bristol

Would you be willing to sell one? I'm not really looking for power, more for fuel economy. I'm not sure if I can offer you to purchase one in the forum and not in Marketplace. Does someone know?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:03 PM
bristol

To keep everyone up to date, it seems PAW does not produce the 4 stroke diesel, as per Dr. Diesel. Laser did a short run on a 4 stroke diesel in 2000 but they are not planning on building any more. It seems they were underpowered and not to marketable. Anyone willing to sell one, I'm willing to buy, if only for testing. Lou Furco sells an insert to convert a 4 stroke glow to diesel but will work best on engines with compression ratios of 9:1 and over and with a special fuel that does not contain kerosene. May not be an alternative for my purpose although I will try it sometime later just for fun.

I do have to thank Mr. Davis of Davis Diesel, Mr. Furco of Gadjet, Mr. Eric Clutton aka Dr. Diesel, Neil from Laser and all of you for your help.