Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

ENYA 41 4 STRK DIESEL NOW LISTED

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ENYA 41 4 STRK DIESEL NOW LISTED

You don't need to put a copyright notice on anything to claim copyright. In most parts of the world it is implied. It is a misconception that you need to apply the copyright symbol or statement to your work to get copyright protection.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
markisenberger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, there was an example of this engine, the Enya 41-4CD Four Stroke Diesel on Ebay last week. The sale just closed. The .40 engine sold for $405!!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The thread starter is the guy who sold the engine. I feel the reason he didn't post the info I requested was due to the possible fact you could make your own 41-CD with an old engine and two or three parts.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 PM
markisenberger

Skypilot, I feel like a moron. I obviously didn't read this post in detail prior to posting my "breaking news." That said, I have read this thread beginning to end, and I smell a rat. Something doesn’t add up. Greg spends months hyping this engine, talking about how he can’t wait to get it, and how rare it is, then when he gets it, he decides to sell it? Because he was able to get “a couple†of them? Regarding the manual, he’s worried about copyright infringement? Manuals are posted with great frequency on the Internet for all manner of things. A company will only pursue a copyright infringement case in the event of economic harm. Unless there is a big market for RC engine user manuals that would be compromised or undermined by Internet posting, claiming a fear of copyright infringement is absurd.

Regarding the item itself: It’s fixed compression? Yet it accepts a range of propellers? A true fixed compression would have only one “correct†prop size. I’ve never heard of adjusting compression with head gaskets, and it sounds like a stretch. Everybody who saw the picture inquired about the apparent glow plug, yet a definitive answer was never given.

I suspect that you are on to something, and that the instructions either do not exist, or would reveal that it is a simple matter to duplicate this potentially dubious 4 stroke conversion.

A very good job was done of hyping this product on the big auction site. All I can say is, I’m glad I dropped out of the bidding when it was about to hit $200.

MI
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
gkamysz

I did answer the question about the glowplug. It has a brass insert instead of an elements. What else is there to say?

Wow, I'm being attacked for ordering an extra engine and selling it on Ebay? I did the legwork and spent my money to get a couple. I can do with them as I please.

I think you are right about the manual. Enya can't make money on just the manual.

[link=http://www.edfinfo.com/x/temp/Enya_41-4CD.pdf]41-4CD Manual[/link]

Order the conversion parts and good luck. You can read for yourself about the compression. You don't have to believe what I tell you, just because I read it off the manual.

I did not mention the listing here. Or anywhere. Ebay pricing depends on who is buying nothing else. $200 won't buy this engine anywhere in the world so it doesn't matter if you stopped bidding there.

Converting any fourstroke is simple. Go right ahead and do your own. The basic information is in the fourstoke threads here.

The guy who won the engine got a deal. They are 299 pounds at Just Engines, if they even have stock.

Its easy to flame someone from the comfort of your armchair thousands of miles away.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Many engines come with extra head gaskets, called shims, to adjust compression for different nitro percentages or props in the case of a Diesel. On Saitos you can adjust the compression by putting a gasket, "shim" under the cylinder.
You can also compensate for differing prop loads on the model Diesel by adjusting the ether content.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Hobbsy the 2 strk shim is no big deal as you know I hae run none to three to get the compression screw somewhere in the middle not all the way up or or down all the way bottomed out to the head. the 4 strk would need a valve adjustment after changing
shims, really wonder why they did not take the lavona cell approach martin
Old 08-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Hobbsy

I ran my Enya .53 on Davis Plane Fuel, the prop was a Master Airscrew 12x6-10. At first I thought it was going to be a wash then after about three tries with the starter it simply started to idle, just barely though and it quit. after three more starts at idle it idled long enough to get warm and began to idle very well. By playing with the mixture I got it to run above idle but it won't run above half throttle no matter what I did. I managed to coax 5,333 out of it at one point. I belive it has one head shim in it, I'll try it Tuesday on Davis ABC Mix and without the shim. I had a gadget in it mostly to just fill the glow plug hole. The tach. reads 5,163 in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75564.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	513588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54805.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	513589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48745.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	513590  
Old 08-26-2006, 04:58 PM
gkamysz

My OS 48 turns a 12x6 or 11x7 at 10500 or so. Half the RPM is only 25% of the power.

Oops, I see you only ran at part throttle. It won't run right because there isn't enough compression.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Hobbsy

You're right, it's pretty soft on compression, I'm surprised it started at all. It runs really smooth at about 4,000 and is so quiet. It looks like your .48 needs a 12x8 or a 12x6 three blade. I run all my Diesels at around 9,000 to 9,500.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Hobbsy

OK Gents, here is my Saito .72 successfully running on Davis ABC mix, it took a little coaxing, it's very sensitive to needle changes. It is set about 1/2 turn leaner than glow on HS mixture and a 1/2 turn richer on the LS needle. The idle is still pretty shaky at 2,500 but I think it is do-able. The 1st prop I tried was a 12x8 3 blade Master Airscrew, now read this carefully, 5,500 was all it would do with the 12x8. I switched to an 11x8 3 blade, worse, only 5,000. I changed to a Graupner 12.5x7 3 blade which runs 1,500 rpm less on my Fox .74 conversion than the 12x8 MA 3b. You can see the results. The engine is very quiet, little to no Diesel rattle. The picture is at full throttle, very little smoke at full throttle, slightly more at mid throttle settings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33610.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	514088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87273.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	514089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23491.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	514090  
Old 08-27-2006, 07:15 PM
AMB

Hobbsy my guess besides the 72 having good compression the gadget being a plugged (the hole) in the plug also gave you a little more compression since the volume of the cylinder reduced ,artim
Old 08-27-2006, 09:58 PM
PlaneKrazee

Hobbsy,

I think those are pretty good results for the 72. Did you find the Enya didn't have a head shim installed?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM
gkamysz

Now try flying it.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Hobbsy

Brian, you're correct, no head gasket, what appears to be one is very finely machined boss.

Greg, I'm going to work on the reliability factor, it does not offer to quit unless too lean so I think reliability will be OK. I'm still amazed at how quiet and smooth it is.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 AM
gkamysz

Yes, they are very quiet. I flew my FS-48 with a straight pipe the other day and another flier was amazed at how quite it was. Reliability isn't the concern just like any other diesel, making power in the air is. You'll see what I mean when you try. I've never had one quit with fuel in the tank.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Hobbsy

I won't get to play with it today, I'm taking my wife 80 miles north to Alexandria for an Endoscopy, she has a bleeding ulcer that the Dr. is going to repair today if possible. I'll get back to it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
PlaneKrazee

Dave,

I wish your wife good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 AM
gkamysz

Has anyone ordered the parts for the diesel conversion of the 41-4C? Are there no comments about the manual on the 41-4CD? I'm a bit surprised.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
markisenberger

Greg,

Thank you for the manual; you were correct in that it didn't shed much light on Enya's intent.

I was going to inquire about ordering the "plug", but there is no part number listed for that part. Looking at the manual, and recalling the conversations on this engine, what is the difference between this Enya, and the standard Enya 4 stroke? Is it just the cylinder shims and the brass plug? Have you tried to run this thing yet? I'm dying to know what kind of performance you get from it, in particular, how well it transitions from low idle to high idle, and what the RPM range is. In my experience with diesels, strictly limited to 2 strokes, it's easy to get a diesel started. Getting it to perform is much trickier. I'm curious to see how this Enya performs, especially at the price they are fetching.

On a related note, does anybody have a resource for obtaining a glow plug equivalent size plug, which is 1/4 inch, threaded at 32 TPI, and IMPOSSIBLE to find... I've looked everywhere.

MI
Old 08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
gkamysz

The plug for the glow plug hole is the least concern in the conversion process. I've stated all the differences I observed, and the unique parts are listed in the manual. I guess I'm not sure what you are looking for. There are quite a few unique parts and obviously from Hobbsy's tests we know it's not just the shims. This is a unique engine designed for diesel operation. The biggest difference is going to be the compression ratio, just as it is for a two stroke. It's hard to tell as the engine is very tight. I have not run it yet. I'll need another airplane to fly it because the throtle lever is on the wrong side in the Aurum which has the FS48 mounted now.

I have had very good running with my OS conversions. No issues with throttle response on the bench. Tuning it in the air is a bit more complicated but the same results are obtained.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM
SGC

Scanning the parts list of the 41-4CD the only parts in common with the glow version seem to be the crankcase, crankshaft houseing, bearings and the tappit cover. The rest is special production for the diesel, if you notice it lists the timeing box- this indicates different camshaft ,probably with no or little overlap to give piston/valve clearance with the high compression head.
Considering the low volume of the production its possiable all these diesel components are hand made/machined , hence the high cost.
Stewart
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
gkamysz

The cams are not unique to the diesel.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: SGC

Scanning the parts list of the 41-4CD the only parts in common with the glow version seem to be the crankcase, crankshaft houseing, bearings and the tappit cover. The rest is special production for the diesel, if you notice it lists the timeing box- this indicates different camshaft ,probably with no or little overlap to give piston/valve clearance with the high compression head.
Considering the low volume of the production its possiable all these diesel components are hand made/machined , hence the high cost.
Stewart

---------------

Has anyone tried trying to find the upper limit of prop load with something like an 11x11 or 12 APC pattern prop? At the low rpm the engines are producing, it might be the only way to fly a converted four-stroke on a standard model airplane, without going to a super light floater with acres of wing area. I'll bet they will tackle such a load with ease. At least if this prop load causes detonation, it is a simple matter to back off the ether or add another shim. Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
gkamysz

I've been flying my OS FS48 conversion in an old Kyosho Aurum 30 with an 11x7. I could use slightly more speed but thrust is great right now. The power curve is the same as the glow version. This means that if you load it up with a bigger prop is makes less HP. There is no reason in my opinion to load up the engine. The props Enya recommends are quite large. I can't run props that large on my engine.

I don't understand the concept of loading up diesels in general. In all cases reduced RPM results in reduced HP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.