Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

ENYA 41 4 STRK DIESEL NOW LISTED

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:10 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ENYA 41 4 STRK DIESEL NOW LISTED

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

I've been flying my OS FS48 conversion in an old Kyosho Aurum 30 with an 11x7. I could use slightly more speed but thrust is great right now. The power curve is the same as the glow version. This means that if you load it up with a bigger prop is makes less HP. There is no reason in my opinion to load up the engine. The props Enya recommends are quite large. I can't run props that large on my engine.

I don't understand the concept of loading up diesels in general. In all cases reduced RPM results in reduced HP.

----------------

With a .48, you are probably correct. I was thinking more of a Saito .80 running Diesel fuel.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

I've been flying my OS FS48 conversion in an old Kyosho Aurum 30 with an 11x7. I could use slightly more speed but thrust is great right now. The power curve is the same as the glow version. This means that if you load it up with a bigger prop is makes less HP. There is no reason in my opinion to load up the engine. The props Enya recommends are quite large. I can't run props that large on my engine.

I don't understand the concept of loading up diesels in general. In all cases reduced RPM results in reduced HP.

-------------------

If the world worked only on HP, your premise would be correct. However, we must factor in propeller efficiency. Sometimes the increase in propeller efficiency provided by a larger propeller more than offsets the reduced HP generated. This is why model Diesel engines are appealling. Otherwise, there would be no advantage in running them, other than reduced fuel volume consumed for a given amount of power.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm aware of prop efficiency. See my comments in the fuel thread.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:00 PM
gkamysz

I put a couple pictures of the 41-4CD on my site. www.edfinfo.com/diesel.html I have started the engine but didn't have much time to run it. It feels really tight so it might take a while to break in. It started without a problem.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM
gkamysz

I got a note from the person who purchased the 41-4CD I sold. He has run it on the bench and has 7kRPM on a 12X6 and it idles at 1800. He said he has put 45 minutes of run in time on it. He will be flying it this weekend. I have not done any more with mine yet.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:40 PM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a bit of an update... Model Flight in Australia is now listing the Enya 41 4C Diesel (as of September 27). Although I probably will stick to glow, it seems fairly reasonably priced, considering what it is selling for in England.

[link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/enya_engines/enya_41_4c_diesel_rc.htm]http://www.modelflight.com.au/enya_engines/enya_41_4c_diesel_rc.htm[/link]

Check it out! Looks nice...

-Mike
Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 AM
gkamysz

Enya have just released a 4 stroke diesel (41 4CD), a review of it is in the December issue of RCM&E page 35.
Displacement 6.64cc
Rated power 4.5 BHP @ 8000RPM
Prop range 11.5x5 and 13.5x8 (tested)
Price ÂŁ319.99 Not cheap by any standards

13.5x8 reached 5500rpm with an idle of 1200rpm
11.5x5 @9000rpm (recommended max RPM)
The above was posted in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_900816/mpage_5/tm.htm]Four Stroke Diesel[/link] thread. I posted the following reply there.

I hadn't seen the RPM figures. 11.5x5 at 9,000 is only 0.4HP. That's awful. The 13.5x8 is even worse at .29HP.
I guess I really owe it to you guys to test run some props on mine. The HP figures quoted above are awful. Nowhere near the 1.5HP claimed. Why they limit to 9kRPM I don't know. My conversions run right up to the regular glow rev limit. I even made one run on the FS-48 with a 10x6. I didn't tach it but it was screaming.

As mentioned above the individual who bought the one I sold said he got 7000 on a 12x6. That works out to about .28HP. If the engine makes this little power it's strictly a collectors item. My FS-48 conversion turns a 12x6 at 10,500 or so for 0.9+ HP.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Greg, I've been slowly changing my mind about the HP thing. I'll use my Fox .74 ABC as an example. As a glow engine it turns a Graupner 12x8 2 blade at 11,200 rpm, as a Diesel conversion it turns a Graupner 12x8 3 blade at just under 9,400 rpm. On my CG Tiger 60 ARF it will not climb verticle very far or make very large loops as a glow engine but with the Diesel head on and the 12x8 three blade verticle is fast and easy and loops can be as large as you can see it at the top. I think when it comes to (flying power) you can toss the hp ratings out the window. They're simply not relative.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
gkamysz

Sure, but you are talking about maybe 80% of original power. In the case of the Enya we are talking about 30% of an equivalent glow engine. Prop efficiency can't make up that difference.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 AM
AMB

Greg regardless I have ordered one I have decided to put in in a 25 size cub 50" span which is not a light plane for just putting around
think it will be OK and if for no other reason would like a 4 strk diesel then will go from there, the construction details seem quite robust and does not appear to be just a converted 41 glow 4 strk and OS will will not join the game my guess since Enya did got to a steel liner and cast iron piston, if they will not go ABC in their 2 strks I do not see them doing this (OS) martin
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

Greg regardless I have ordered one I have decided to put in in a 25 size cub 50" span which is not a light plane for just putting around
think it will be OK and if for no other reason would like a 4 strk diesel then will go from there, the construction details seem quite robust and does not appear to be just a converted 41 glow 4 strk and OS will will not join the game my guess since Enya did got to a steel liner and cast iron piston, if they will not go ABC in their 2 strks I do not see them doing this (OS) martin

----------------

I'm lost - a bit.

Why wouldn't the OS steel liner and ringed aluminum piston, which is currently used in their four-strokes, be fine for a Diesel? Diesels do not have to be non ringed.

My OS .32F-H ringed heli engine made a fine Diesel conversion using a Davis conversion head. I must not be tracking the thread correctly.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
gkamysz

I don't know why they decided to go to a larger crank in the 41-4CD. If that's all the power it makes, there is no need whatsoever. If this engine makes so little power, you have a very heavy engine.

There is some theory that model diesels beat up ring lands which leads to stuck rings or ring failures. I have have seen no indication of this so far.

I think the iron and steel design is a result of break in needs. A tight iron and steel engine will have excellent compression for starting when new. A ringed engine might not have good enough compression when new to allow easy hand starting. Since the "no starters with diesels" idea is perpetuated this would result in a engine which is very hard to start.

My FS-30 which I converted out of the box didn't really have any problems. I could see how a larger engine might be hard to start with an unseated ring.

The logic manufacturers sometimes use for their decisions has nothing to do with reality. Hmm, virtually all diesels use IS liner, let's use it too. Enya is a dinosaur in the engine business. They make engines that nobody else wants to make. Their marketing and distribution, will lead to their demise. Enya must make money elsewhere(not the hobby industry) or they do not need to make a lot of money and have no intention of expanding. From what I understand it's a family run company. Look at PAW. They have made no steps in updating designs, except for a modern carb. Luckily they have brand name recognition, loyal customers, virtual monopoly in the diesel engine market(because nobody else is interested), and they make income elsewhere.

F2C engines are at the top of the technology curve for diesels. They have been using ABC and AAC liners for years. And we know from years of conversions of glow engines that this isn't a problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
AMB

Ed must have had a brain sieze I have many conversions that are ringed ASP91, TS 90, ST 40 and 90. Was thinking of a heavier rod and crank but so far the conversions the guys made to OS 4 strks are fine in reality OS will not gear up for a niche market. they have really gone hot and heavy into rc car glow engines and pricy but the car guys will spend the bucks martin
Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 AM
AMB

PAW and Enya are excellent examples of caring family owned companies who take pride in their product when these people retire \this will be an issue anyone to take over?? PAW is big into making full scale auto racing parts brakes??
. Bob davis in an other example and of course Buford down under with his little diesel. There are the few who will pay the xtra for the exceptional product, I am one of them, but not true of the majority as we know. who is buying this stuff, those of us who have been
around doing this 20,30, 40 years maybe more look at the ads out of the box fly in 20 minutes, no,assembly required thus the new breed has no need to learn that is sad but maybe the new life styles leave little time for them/ all well so much for that martin
Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
slope-soarer

There has been a review of the Enya 4 stroke in a UK model mag. RCM&E.

I must admit to being puzzled, I can't see just who Enya are aiming this engine at.
The price is ridiculous and the thing needs some finishing off when it comes... for the price being asked I don't see why it should need finishing off by the new owner ! [&o]

PAW are criticised for not developing their engines over the years. Well... in the same magazine there is a brief write up and photo of a new TWIN cylinder diesel that PAW are currently working on and the intent is to put it into production soon.

Perhaps PAW have never felt the necessity of having a program of continuous update. Their engines sell well, work well and also last well... what more can you say ???

The diesel market is fairly limited for sales potential, unlike the glow market which sells far more engines. The market that PAW aims at is served very well by their range of engines. In the USA there is a trend to convert 2 stroke and 4 stroke glow engines by means of conversion heads. There is not the same degree of interest in the UK where the glow and/or electric power reign supreme.

I guess PAW know their market, serve it well and can't see any substantial growth prospects that would justify continuos updates to their engine range. What they do sell doe's exactly what it says it will do on the tin ! [ ]]

I am still left wondering who, outside of collectors and the downright aquisitive, would seriously want to spend that amount of money on the Enya 4 stroke diesel.... you can achieve the same result with a 4 stroke glow and conversion head.... and the Enya needs work doing on it when it arrives !

It's strange that the engine is not fully assembled, and working as fully assembled when it comes. It's almost as though Enya had a bright idea... we will do a 4 stroke diesel... then lost interest in it and couldn't even be bothered finishing it off properly []

Reg
Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Putting it together only adds to the interest and the fun.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
gkamysz

Diesel certainly isn't for the people who want things easy.

You can't achieve the same as the 41-4CD with a conversion head. Nobody makes four stroke conversion kits as it's impractical. If you want a four stroke conversion contact me.

Glow and electric reign supreme in the US too. Diesel is a tiny fraction of a fraction of the market.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
AMB

The regulars on this site will have no problems pulling a head putting in head gaskets inserting push rod tubes and adjusting valves
I am with Hobbsy on this one , the hamburger is done guys just add the ketchup ,martin

Got my package from Hobby people today 2 spinner nuts nice they fit the OS 10 and spacer washers to position the rear muffler \ordered a dozen spacers got 12 PACKS maybe thats whhy they were $1.00 apiece AP 09 and 15 engine
Old 12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
markisenberger

Greg,

I'm intrigued by your very frank words on the Enya. I was an early bidder on the one you auctioned off a few months ago. I have to tell you, I went through a 6 month period where I was OBSESSED with diesel engines. I only bought conversion heads, and never purchased a “purpose-made” diesel. However, I finally gave up in frustration. I only managed to get one successful flight out of an OS FP .40, and it wasn’t impressive by any means. I love the smell of the diesel, the sound, the efficiency, the idea. But I’ve come to the conclusion that model diesel engines are not more popular because they are too tricky, unpredictable, and narrow in their application. When I went back to glow, I couldn’t believe how easy they were to start and tune. An optimally tuned diesel is a thing of beauty, or so I hear. I’ve never managed to achieve that, even on a test stand. Glow is easy, user friendly, predictable, and kind of boring.

I’m curious to see how your Enya performs when you put it on a plane. Best of luck…

MI
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
AMB

There may have been nothing wrong with the engine or your technics you may have has a fuel problem like loss of ether martin
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

Gykamyz;; this is beginning to sound like a real can of worms with fixed compression that really limits the engine for prop choices
and the valve covers do not fit??they will have to do better than that. really would like to see a pix of the "production engine"/Almost sounds like I could take my open rocker 4 strk 40 enya braze in the hole in the glow plug raise the ether content of the fuel and be back in the drone days (yes I had one) ran on ether and castor oil no kero martin

---------

When you can't change compression, choosing the proper prop is how you "tune" the ignition. Unless you make your own fuel...<G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
gkamysz

Well I was very excited about the Enya. I found out about it after I started working on the conversions. I ordered and waited, and waited and waited. it arrived and I just haven't done much more than start it and run maybe an ounce of fuel. I didn't tach it so I don't even know if the published figures for RPM are typical, but they aren't optimistic by any means. Seeing how much compression adjustment is needed between prop sizes on my conversions, I think the head gasket thing will be a nuisance. To do a proper bench test that would be a lot of time. I might just screw in a lanova cell to do the testing.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
gkamysz

http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php...D&area=Engines
I ran across this page with a decent description of the engine. I don't know why they would recommend running without the rocker cover. I didn't have any problems fitting it.

I'm getting ready to do a full review of the engine for you guys. Running may have to wait until later but I'll strip it and photograph it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Marklubbock

ORIGINAL: slope-soarer

There has been a review of the Enya 4 stroke in a UK model mag. RCM&E.

I must admit to being puzzled, I can't see just who Enya are aiming this engine at.
The price is ridiculous and the thing needs some finishing off when it comes... for the price being asked I don't see why it should need finishing off by the new owner ! [&o]

PAW are criticised for not developing their engines over the years. Well... in the same magazine there is a brief write up and photo of a new TWIN cylinder diesel that PAW are currently working on and the intent is to put it into production soon.

Perhaps PAW have never felt the necessity of having a program of continuous update. Their engines sell well, work well and also last well... what more can you say ???

The diesel market is fairly limited for sales potential, unlike the glow market which sells far more engines. The market that PAW aims at is served very well by their range of engines. In the USA there is a trend to convert 2 stroke and 4 stroke glow engines by means of conversion heads. There is not the same degree of interest in the UK where the glow and/or electric power reign supreme.

I guess PAW know their market, serve it well and can't see any substantial growth prospects that would justify continuos updates to their engine range. What they do sell doe's exactly what it says it will do on the tin ! [ ]]

I am still left wondering who, outside of collectors and the downright aquisitive, would seriously want to spend that amount of money on the Enya 4 stroke diesel.... you can achieve the same result with a 4 stroke glow and conversion head.... and the Enya needs work doing on it when it arrives !

It's strange that the engine is not fully assembled, and working as fully assembled when it comes. It's almost as though Enya had a bright idea... we will do a 4 stroke diesel... then lost interest in it and couldn't even be bothered finishing it off properly []

Reg

I tend to agree with this & the test would seem to support my earlier comments in the earlier thread regarding this engine-even the 'plug' is just to bung up the hole!
I know any unusual engine will have a novelty value, but I still hold my view that a company such as Enya could/should have produced a better sorted product at a better price-at that price I would expect a purpose designed & sorted unit. It's a shame Laser did not continue their diesel as this was a really sweet little unit-perhaps the demand was just not there?
PAW engines are excellent-I have used them for over 35 years from early .19's & 1.49's (control line) right up till now with .55's through to the .29 r/c versions all with no trouble whatsoever-the early ones are a bit noisy for modern times though!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

In less than a week from order to delivery, I now have my very own Enya 41CD in my hands. I ordered from Model Flight in Australia, and am impressed with their fast service. I eagerly await the arrival of my first diesel fuel so the high compression, low consumption fun can commence!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.