Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

MVVS 3090 Diesel .61

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MVVS 3090 Diesel .61

I just placed an order for the parts necessary to convert my MVVS 3090 .61 glow engine to its factory built Diesel equivalent.

I bought this engine NIB from an eBay dealer a while back for less than $80. According to Dar Zeelon, this is an older model. It is NIB. The newer model has a different carb, but is identical except for the color of the cylinder head and the box it came in.

I noticed that the prop recommendations for this glow engine included some really huge prop sizes. My conclusion was that this engine was either ported/timed for very quiet operation as a glow engine and was targeted for F3A competition, or, it was originally timed to be used as a Diesel. Dar confirmed my suspicions by revealing that the same basic engine was sold as a Diesel by MVVS and that the parts were still available for a complete conversion to a factory made Diesel. The parts, consisting of a new head assembly, new smaller carb and a bin muffler (my choice, not Diesel necessarily) came to $92 USD, which included shipping from Israel. So, for a grand total of less than $180, I have a new, factory made Diesel .61 that is convertible from side exhaust to rear exhaust. I don't know which configuration I will use as yet.

I also have a Senior Telemaster ARF (recent acquisition) that I plan on powering with this engine. I hope to use this model/engine combo as an aerial observation platform. Now I need a now out of production Sullivan generator kit to help keep the avionics alive while airborne. Anyone know of one for sale or trade?

Ed Cregger

Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM
AMB

Default RE: MVVS 3090 Diesel .61

Ed sounds great I have the same palne with an TTpro61 davis head we will have to compare mote when we "getum up there"
I also have a MVVS 61 with a davis head great runner and STRONG as gloe awswome as diesel martin
Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ed, when I bought my MVVS .61 from Pe, he said that when I first convert it, it would turn an APC 14x7 at about 9,000 rpm but over one seasons flying it would slowly increase to 9,500 and that is precisely what it did.
Did you get the square dustbin muffler or the Pitts like one for laying the engine on its side?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Ed, when I bought my MVVS .61 from Pe, he said that when I first convert it, it would turn an APC 14x7 at about 9,000 rpm but over one seasons flying it would slowly increase to 9,500 and that is precisely what it did.
Did you get the square dustbin muffler or the Pitts like one for laying the engine on its side?

-----------------

I ordered the dust bin, but Dar says it is out of stock and no longer being sold. So I changed it to the Pitts muffler.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Hobbsy

Let me tell you about the square dustbin, it will cover every square inch of your plane with Diesel exhaust. The one you're getting is probably much better in that regard.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 AM
NM2K

Let me tell you about the square dustbin, it will cover every square inch of your plane with Diesel exhaust. The one you're getting is probably much better in that regard.

------------

Ah-ha! Well, I'm glad then that it worked out as it did. Now to wait for everything to get here. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good luck with your MVVS .61 diesel. I owned an MVVS .61 diesel - it actually was sold by Carlson Imports with both glow and diesel heads.
As a glow, it was a good running engine. With the diesel head, it was easily the worst running diesel - worst handling engine I have ever owned - and I've owned two dozen different diesels and conversions.
I bloodied my fingers flipping the prop to get it started. Once it started, there was no adjusting it for even remotely reliable running.
I ultimately re-installed the glow head and had fun flying rather than messing with it.
Hope you have much better luck.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Hobbsy

Gee, I have an MVVS .61 Diesel and it runs like a Swiss watch, turning a 14x7 APC at 9,500 whether using the Davis head or the MVVS head. It idles better with the Davis head. When I first got it it would turn the APC at 9,000 rpm, Pe Reivers told me it would wake up over a flying season and turn 9,500 and he was right on the money.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 AM
NM2K

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

My parts aren't here as yet, but I knew it would take a while for them to arrive when I ordered them.

If the prop is whapping you that bad, it sounds as though it might have been too small. But since you have so many Diesel engines and much experience, I suppose you were running the right size prop.

My first Diesel, a McCoy .09, beat me bloody too. I was running an 8x6 prop. When I went in the USAF later on, my mother sent me a letter describing what happened in our back yard when Dad mounted the engine to a fence post and spent an afternoon trying to get it to run. I laughed until I cried while reading that letter. Dad had never tried to start any model engine before, but he had watched me run the glow engines a lot. Mom said he was dancing a new jig every few minutes. She wouldn't repeat the words to the song he sang though.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 PM
AMB

I have the same engine MVVS 61 and I got it with the MVVS diesel head, a couple of the guys complained about the compression
screw backing off when running I had the same problem, Although not a listed head Davis made one up for me , I think Hobbsy got one. and some one recentley got two, Davis needed the engines due to fact there must be some hand finishing on them and NOT
completely identical each one was fitted to the engine. Also the adjustment on the davis is different (much finer adjustment) the head has a different squish
band and works a lot better than the MVVS Also with the "finger wack thing" you may be over compressed and a little rich on the needle, and yes ouch when they kick back you cannot get the finger out of the way fast enough. Davis reccomends using an electric
starter a good idea the first few times till you get it adjusted once up and running you can get the fine adjustments needed on compression and needle settings, once set they calm down fast and lose that nasty kickback , I can start most of mine now
with a few flips, of course in cool weather the starter will bring up the heat of compression and off they go the base engine is great
but the davis head far better I have the MVVS 40 with his head running a smaller carb 6 or 7 mm the MVVS is running the stock carb
that came with it full speed is only about 3/4 open on the throttle martin
Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, I am the guy who got two DDD heads for my two MVVS .61 engines. I purchased A glow MVVS .61 a few years back from Carlson and installeda MVVSdiesel head. For the first runs I used a PAW .60 carb. This way I only had to figure out the compression setting. After a few runs I installed the MVVS .61 carb. No problems, easy to start and adjust. This engine has an 8 mm prop shaft. I purchased a used MVVS .61 with the MVVS diesel head that has a 6 mm prop shaft. Probably an older vintage. It was dirty and needed cleaning up. I have picked up a MVVS .21 to .40 smaller carb but have not used it yet. I recently sent both engines to DDD for his heads but have not run them yet. I have been running Drones and my GB for next years SAM Champ models. One of these years I will build a model for the big MVVS diesel. Jack
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 AM
AMB

Jack I also have a MVVS15D which is great in an AK models J-3 cub.Had all kinds of problems ran great on the bench but not past a prime run in the plane could find nothing wrong but finally replaced the tank it now feeds fine and runs great I checked the old tank
and it seems fine line to clunk ok lines ok never solved it but the new tank did. I think the MVVS 61 head just not the best design
and ditto for the Irvine 40 diesel hence 3 davis heads for my irvine 40s. and most likely there are a lot of the MVVS and Irvine diesel
heads doing fine just think the davis heads are better, my muffler by the way on the MVVS is a small black can with 2 stacks coming
off the bottom it either came from Dar or just engines . I am running a couple of regular MVVS mufflers on my irvine 40Ds they are good for an other 500 to 800 rpm over the stock irvine mufflers those did come from Dar martin

Also went over my PAW29 yesterday a few months ago when I got it (very well used) hard to start an knocked badly the rod both ends
were badly egged out and got a new rod and wrist pin from Carlson. it still ran badly overcompressed , Did a complete breakdown and the contra was jammed down (all the way) in the cylinder used my drill press and a rod as an arbor press and got it out, had some scores cleaned
it up with some 600 grit wet/dry 3m paper and did a few light strokes in the bore, put it back together and started on 2nd flip after a
prime, now with the contra released and up runs ok , my guess the previous owner had run it over compressed for a long time hence
the rod problem.had I not checked it would have done the same thing again and it had no carb when I got it now wears a cheap knockoff of an OS carb will put a pressure tap in the muffler these carbs do better running pressure my transitions will be improved

We really owe Davis a round of applause. He made these heads for us and they are NOT his listed production heads MVVS61

Old 11-23-2006, 06:25 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

------------

Ah-ha! Well, I'm glad then that it worked out as it did. Now to wait for everything to get here. <G>

Ed Cregger

----------------

Everything got here okay and fairly fast, considering how far it came.

You should have seen the postman's expression as he had me sign for the package. Israel? Yep. I explained that it was a friend I had made on the internet, among many, and that it was model airplane engine parts. He's a good guy and was satisfied.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Hobbsy

Happy ThanksGiving all.

Ed I have one of those generators and most of the accessories that go with it. I think it is bored for a 5/16th shaft. I could see how it fits the .61.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM
NM2K

Happy ThanksGiving all.

Ed I have one of those generators and most of the accessories that go with it. I think it is bored for a 5/16th shaft. I could see how it fits the .61.

------------

That would be neat, Dave. Gotta get my "Eye In The Sky" ready for better flying weather. As slow as I am, it will take me all winter. <G>

I'm now glad that I held on to my ham fast scan TV transmitter boards from PC Electronics. They will be far enough away in frequency not to bother the Spektrum 7 channel 2.4 GHz. SS rig I have on back order with Horizon. Plus they have a strong enough power output to have some really useful range.

Ed, NM2K
Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 AM
AMB

Ed an other idea get a 1200 milliamp battery and a switch controlled by an unused channel of your trans/rec and there is your tv camera power they use very little power but keep this keeps it independent from your reciever power martin
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good option for generating power is a small brushless (~100W) motor geared up appropriately. Add a 3 phase full wave bridge rectifier and a simple voltage regulator and you can have quite a bit of power. I've talked to people who have done it. The new 2700mAh AA cells though would be a good alternative.