Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

How long have you been flying diesel for? **Also Collection Photos**

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I have been flying diesels for less than 1 year.
9.68%
I have been flying diesels for 1-5 years.
7.53%
I have been flying diesels for 5-10 years.
3.23%
I have been flying diesels for 10+ years.
26.88%
I fly diesel power more than other power (glow, electric).
7.53%
I fly diesels less than other power sources.
10.75%
I fly diesel and others equally.
8.60%
I collect, bench run, or build and run diesels.
25.81%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

How long have you been flying diesel for? **Also Collection Photos**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long have you been flying diesel for? **Also Collection Photos**

How long have you been flying diesel for? How often do you fly your diesel?

I started 12 years ago but went to electric. I got back into diesels in '06. Currently I don't fly often, but it's been more diesel than electric, which I flew for the time in between.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long have you been flying diesel for?

I started flying U/C glow in 1950 or 1951 with a Fox .35. Later built some 1/2 A models with OK Cub engines. One of the older fellows loaned me a British small diesel to use on U/C model. I do not remember the brand or size, maybe 1 cc. No need for a starting battery and the older fellow taught me how to start and adjust the diesel. We moved away in 1956 and I returned his diesel. In the late 1950's I purchased a Super Tigre G-30 2.5 diesel and used it for U/C and R/C into the 1960's. In the 1960's I purchased a Super Tigre G20/15 diesel (1962) , an O.S. Max .15 diesel (1964) and a Webra Mach II (1966). I like the Webra best and used it for both U/C and R/C until 1970. In 1970 I got into R/C sailpanes and in a few years got rid of my engines. I stopped flying sailplanes in 1991 and got into SAM old timers in 1995 with diesels and electric power. Still flying SAM stuff. I have flown at all but one of the SAM Champs since 1995. I have MVVS, PAW, GB, Drone BB, Mills, Irvine, Enya and Oliver Jaguar to name a few of my diesels. Jack
Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
chevy43

Less than a year for me. Most of my flying has been on my OS LA.40 burning "Baker Black Brew". Some flying on PAW's too.

Treven Baker.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
burtcs

How can you own a diesel and not bench run it once in a while.

Steve B.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
gkamysz

Well I guess I mean you don't fly, but you visit the site because you like to run and talk diesel. I know, I started my diesel a few times during the 10 years while I was flying electric.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

How long have you been flying diesel for? How often do you fly your diesel?

I started 12 years ago but went to electric. I got back into diesels in '06. Currently I don't fly often, but it's been more diesel than electric, which I flew for the time in between.

-------------

I flew my first model Diesel engine in 1961 or 62. It was a McCoy .09 Diesel, fitted to a control line Scientific Stunt Master, to replace a Fox .15X glow engine. I ran out of glow fuel and didn't have any money. A friend gave me the McCoy .09 Diesel and a quart of fuel. The rest is history.

ADDENDUM: I presently own the following model Diesels and conversions:

1. McCoy .09 Diesel
2. OK Cub .049 Diesel
3. Deezil Diesel fixed compression (displacement unknown)
4. OS .32F-H converted to Diesel (Davis)
5. Enya SS25 Diesel
6. MVVS .61 Diesel
7. MVVS .25 Diesel (Thanks Diesel Driver!)
8. Enya Ultra11CX Diesel (still in process)
9. Magnum .40 GP converted to Diesel (RJL)
10. Thunder Tiger .10 GP converted to Diesel (Davis)
11. Thunder Tiger .15 GP converted to Diesel (Davis)
12. Super Tigre G2300 (1.40) converted to Diesel (Davis)
13. OS .40 LA converted to Diesel (Davis)
14. OS .46 LA converted to Diesel (Davis)
15. Maybe, just maybe a Moki 2.10 (Davis)
16. Fox .50BB R/C converted to Diesel (Davis) ((I doubt if I'm through yet))

Anyone wishing to sell a McCoy .09 Diesel in running condition should contact me via PM. Mine is bwoke-ded.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
AMB

First a drone fixed compression u/c too many years ago, then about 10 year ago back I came irvine 40 diesel vmar
apache 2 as a matter of fact 3 of them irvine 40 diesel, irvine 46 and 53s with davis heads . my most recent a 400 electric cub conversion OS10 davis head. Due to illness in family could not truck 50 miiles to fly the big guys but steal
a couple of hours to hit the park close to the house the "electric site" It grabbed some attention just fuel flip and go
and was quieter than the geared electrics and well accepted by the electric group , have MVVS, PAWs Sharmas irvines as stated MVVS, STs TTs OS all wearing Davis heads and a few heads by A.J Coholic that davis did not have in production. and if not flying do manage to run one a week on the bench martin
and my latest OS1.08 for a senior telemaster Big brown is bringing a davis head for it in a few days this my biggest so far this rounds out the collection every 2 strk from an 033 PAW now to the OS1.08 is diesel or a conversion
there is some 4 stk glows around too and a couple of electric park flyers waitng for the small oil burners to be installed
Bigger ones
1969 mercedes 220 D 1978 dodge PU 6 CYL mitusbishi (limited editon) 1982 chevy van V8 ( Not the olds conversion) 1982 volvo. 2006 cummins dodge( now), my boats 220 4 cyl bedford 2 cyl Bukh (Danish) the dodge is the only current one the dodge is the only current one. they never saw a shop did all work on them and really no major issues
miised the whole fuel shortage thing late 70s gas station waits etc ran kero each 5 galllons had an added qt of 30 wt oil when diesel pumps empty

Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Dan Vincent

I bought an ED Bee 1.0cc diesel from Polk Hobbies around 1952. I was the only one in our flying group to attempt running a diesel and immediately fell in love with the "Puppy-Dog" handling characteristics of the ED. I also liked the odor of the diesel fuel. I made an airboat and discovered the little ED could cross the lake and beach itself long before it would run out of fuel. The ED impressed me so much I bought another for a spare.

Around 1953 McCoy released their radial mount .049 and it was an absolute powerhouse. It had much more power than any other .049 glo I had at the time.

Then McCoy released their .09 diesel and It quickly became my favorite diesel.

OK Cub made .049 and .075 diesels so I bought them too but I was less than impressed with their starting characteristics and power output.

Since then I've purchased many diesels but those early ones will always bring back the memories I treasure.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Applehoney
My Feedback: (3)

1948 - Frog 180 1.6cc

Still flying PAW 1.5's and a Webra Mach 1 in F/F contest, various small diesels, .4cc - .75cc in sport types
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
ffkiwi

For around 40 years-in F/F (predominantly) and C/L occasionally. I have around 350 engines, split pretty much equally into diesels and glow (plus one token sparkie!)
I have a nearly complete collection of Frogs, ED's, D-C/Allbon, Mills, Taifun, Elfins, a few PAWs, quite a lot of MP Jets of one model or another, the odd ME, a couple of Taipans, a few Webras etc-and a heap of diesel replicas both VA, AH, and CS
As a rule of thumb the diesels get used in sport, vintage and scale models-and the glows in competition models-though there is a bit of overlap.
Would fly diesel probably about once a fortnight, sometimes on a weekly basis, and bench run about the same frequency-but I might run half a dozen different engines during a bench running session. First diesel was a second hand Webra Piccolo-which I could never get started (and have posted about here before)-first 'good un' was a very second hand but very cooperative ED Hornet. most recent was a rare ED Pep 0.8cc acquired 3 days ago from the UK in excellent condition (but minus a tank) which is now made and polished up, pending my first foray into colour anodising-scheduled for this coming weekend. I resisted the temptation to run the Pep before anodising the tank, on the basis that if I used it with tank, I might never get the tank perfectly clean again prior to anodising-which relies on the article being scrupulously clean at every step in the process.
favourite diesel-MP Jet Classic 0.6-the only engine I know that is BETTER than an original Mills 75 in handling and manners (and that's saying something!)

'ffkiwi' (owner of more engines than is probably good for him.............)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 AM
JMP_blackfoot

My first model engine was a German Jaguar 2,5 cm3 diesel, bought in the summer of 1955, while in a German family for a student exchange. I was twelve years old then. I used the engine in controline models. It was a quality engine, as I remember. I found a good one recently, which confirms the remembrance. Second one was an ED Baby 0.46cc, bought in the summer of 1956, in England. I used it in a Junior Mallard freeflight, then various other freeflight models. I now have about 135 engines, 82 of which are diesels. My favorites are the Super-Tigre G20-15D, Webra Mach II and a well-flown Taifun Zyklon. I haven't run the Enya SS25D yet, but am impressed at the obvious quality. This one shoulg power a nice vintage model. I run one or the other of my diesels about every fortnight, and expect to fly a fair number of them after retiring at the end of 2007
Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parked all my electrics because they wern't enough of a challenge And besides, a guy just has to fiddle! And I sort of like the stink.
Flying a 30" span eindecker with a PAW .55 RC and a 1 oz tank and just loving it. Working on a few more!

I've learned lot from these forums and appreciate the freeflow of ideas and opinions and thanks for the info provided in PM's.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first diesel was a McCoy .049 (radial mount) in the early nineteen fifties. Next was the beam mounted one (which I ruined by running it over-compressed in a WOWEE). Then I started buying European diesels at my LHS that came through World Engines (then in Warren, Ohio). Two diesels I wish I still had from then are a FROG .21 and a ST G-30 (I think...the red head BB 2.5). I still have most of the ones I bought back then...plus a bunch of new ones. I'm a passive collector.

George
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Using diesels?

Busted the shaft on a McCoy .049D radial mount when I was about 12...

First successful - and ever since dearly missed - diesel flown was a David-Andersen 2.5 (.15)(Hi, Jens!), at about the time the first CG Shoestring profiles appeared - 1956/57? Why relate those two to determine date?

Well, what did I know? hung the D-A on the Shoestring, 10-6 prop, .018 lines about 60' out of a U-Reely, Cub diesel fuel, and flew the sucker. Flew fine, but wingovers were rather liesurely. Enough pull, just took a while...

Also had an OS Max II .15D - a 2BB screamer, and an ENYA 15D II - which was sweet except the compression screw tended to drift in flight. Still have the ENYA and learned how to fabricate a lock lever for the comp screw. Soon, again, maybe?

Since then, mostly PAWs, an occasionsl Silver Swallow or its mainland grandson CS...

Used to tag my posts on a few of the early forums with: "There's a certain manly aroma about a diesel flier..."
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
balsaworks

My first diesel was a Fok 10 (.06 c.i.), that I got for my 11th birthday in 1963.
A nice Hungarian engine with beautiful gold anodized head & spinner.
My local shop owner provided me with a 7-3 wood prop that was much too light (he wasn’t a diesel man; he much preferred fancy American multi-channel reed ships with huge McCoy glow engines).
Every time the Fok fired the prop rapped my fingers so hard I nearly burst into tears. My elder brother gave me a nylon prop and we soon had the Fok running like a clock.
Alas the Fok 10 got lost but last year I found a Fok 15 in great shape

Other early diesels were:
Webra Piccolo (the last version with tapered non-anodized head), which was a superb runner.
Embee , which was a sham engine in my opinion, I believe it was one of Mike Clanford´s early “less functional†projects. The purchase of this engine taught me a great deal about the shadier side of the model engine business, at a tender age. I´m greatful for that.
Doonside Mills – what a jewel. I just couldn´t bear putting it in a plane and risk losing it. It will be one of the last to go when I sell my collection.
ED Super Racer Mk6 R/C with twin silencers. The muted burbling sound of this engine at idle is wonderful. This engine powered my first multi-channel R/C plane, a KK Mini-Super. When this plane got too oil-soaked and heavy, I switched to a PAW 19.
DC Dart – one of my all-time favourites, I have one that still powers a ½A ship that I´ve flown periodically for 25 years and it just seems to run stronger for every flight.

In the mid 80´s I joined the local MECA chapter and got to know Arne Hende among others. The first two engines I got from Arne were the Pfeffer square head 0.6 and the AH Dyno 0.6.
Both were made by Pfeffer and I believe they use the same cyl/piston unit. Excellent runners. Oddly, the Dyno revs a bit higher if you block one of the exhaust ports.

I collect diesels, and run them in models or in the test bench, as often as the weather & the job & the wife permits.

Photos to follow:
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
balsaworks

Fok 15
Doonside Mills
DC Dart
Mills Mk.1 ser.2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73231.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	637936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21611.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	637937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67132.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	637938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36341.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	637939  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
balsaworks

Pfeffer 0.6cc
AH mini-Dyno 0.6cc
LD 0.1cc in the hand
…and in the air

Name:	Lj24152.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	637941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28618.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	637942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17141.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	637943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28168.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	637944  
Old 03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
balsaworks

A couple of more favourites on the bench;

Frog 50
Patrman 0.6

Name:	Zx70950.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	638011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35101.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	638012  
Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 PM
gkamysz

The LD is not one I'm familiar with, do you have any more info? The BB,RC you have is nice. I love Pfeffers. I have one of the little square heads and one of the TR 2.5cc replicas. I also have a pair of his prototype engines for the 2.5. I have a Sesqui 1.5. I think the KingKat with the Harley pipes has a truly unique look. I would reallly like to find a couple Fit engine to add to the collection. I did manage to collect 5 different Stels 1/2 engines, one diesel.

I was going to start a separate thread about collections, but we can continue here.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

I have been flying for about 6yrs. flying diesels for 5 I have abunch of planes. half diesel and the rest glow I usally fly one diesel every time I go.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
gkamysz

Here's a photo of the Pfeffer prototypes.

Name:	Mk27012.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	638122  
Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 PM
AMB

After posting myself and reading the rest , I just have a couple of thoughts that apply to diesels and yes glow also
we are running some engines dating from the 50s and 60s to new converted glow engines, so maybe state of the art, which some consider the electrics , yes clean, quiet, and very rapid advances starting with the brushed motors now brushless and now lithium ion, polymer and now lith manganese, state of the art balanced chargers dischargers, new BEC technology
once hooked on this a lot of bucks keeping up with the trends and advances in this propulsion system and quite easy
to far exceed the cost of diesel and glow engines, at least with our diesels the only real expense is fuel and even if
$25 a gallon so what ? a lot of flying on a gallon of diesel bottom line cheap and reliable. \
Unlike computer advances where the price is dropping electric flight costs are going up
I am not badmouthing electric it just does not fit my spending habits in this hobby when I can buy an engine for less
than a expensive battery , wonder if the batteries will last 10-20 years or more martin

PREDICTION (at least mine) OS will make a 4 strk diesel and I bet will sell more than their wankels
and if they do it will work out the box 100% of the time as is
Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Character. That's the reason we won't be seeing
a collection of electric motors.
Ralph
Old 03-09-2007, 03:03 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

After posting myself and reading the rest , I just have a couple of thoughts that apply to diesels and yes glow also
we are running some engines dating from the 50s and 60s to new converted glow engines, so maybe state of the art, which some consider the electrics , yes clean, quiet, and very rapid advances starting with the brushed motors now brushless and now lithium ion, polymer and now lith manganese, state of the art balanced chargers dischargers, new BEC technology
once hooked on this a lot of bucks keeping up with the trends and advances in this propulsion system and quite easy
to far exceed the cost of diesel and glow engines, at least with our diesels the only real expense is fuel and even if
$25 a gallon so what ? a lot of flying on a gallon of diesel bottom line cheap and reliable. \
Unlike computer advances where the price is dropping electric flight costs are going up
I am not badmouthing electric it just does not fit my spending habits in this hobby when I can buy an engine for less
than a expensive battery , wonder if the batteries will last 10-20 years or more martin

PREDICTION (at least mine) OS will make a 4 strk diesel and I bet will sell more than their wankels
and if they do it will work out the box 100% of the time as is

--------------

I do like electric propulsion for some things. More of a spontaneous thing with me. But my real love is and always will be, IC engines.

I would like to see OS and others pursue the four-stroke Diesel engine. But I want it to be more advanced that what is available at the moment. I'd also like to see them experiment with smaller displacement engines - under .30 CID. The latter probably won't happen.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Ployd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I shudder to think of how many diesels I have run or own, too many. I have most of the versions of the Mills 75, Elfin 149's; got Indian, Australian (almost a full collection of Taipans and lesser known), Russian, German, Czech, English and American diesels mainly up to 2.5cc. My favourites are the Mills, Elfin and PAW and the worst are the Czech Johns and Pfeffers, nicely made but don't run. Nothing beats the smell of diesel fuel, it's unique

Ployd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.