Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Telemaster/OS1,08 ccombo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:19 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Telemaster/OS1,08 ccombo

I did pick up a telemaster 8ft span and it did have the 1,08 in it as glow it is now diesel . the aircraft is designed for a 40 to 60 engine I do have some concerns about the front of this
airframes intregrity at least the fire wall and mount with this engine It flew twice with it as glow and the mounting does appear a little "light" for this size engine thoughts guys?? understand it was a bit of a barnburner no surprise martin

I do have a 1/4 scale spacewalker and even that goes to only a 75 on 2 strk glow
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Telemaster/OS1,08 ccombo

Martin, I would remove the big engine, clean up the front end and add any beef up you might consider needed to the front end. K2r Spot-Lifter does a good job of removing oil from the wood if present. It may take a couple of applications. Then put one of your Irvine .40 diesels or other diesel up to the MVVS .61 size. With the light wing loading and lift/drag from that big flat bottom wing no need for an engine bigger than a .60 size. Jack
Old 05-12-2007, 01:18 PM
AMB

Jack you have just re-inforced my thoughts it is great condtion no oil soaks or "bad spots" I think I will fill in the space under and over the mount and fus sides with 1/8 ply right to the firewallto box the wood beam mount that extra oz or so will not be a problem some fastenings right thru the side into the mount (pinning may not be a bad idea either about 3 each
side #6 would do it martin

my 40 and 60s are better mounted than this was he was quite lucky he was not wearing the engine after starting it
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 PM
AMB

Jack I did pick up a spinner nut for the 1.08 today so I can spin with the starter I feel a little safer than hand flipping even with a chicken stick will fire up tomorrow afternoon
will use the 18 x8 wood zoar prop and davis ABC mix turns out the thread size is 3/8 x24 glad I brought the egnine to the hobby shop I had about 3 people in awe. It had the davis head on it and I went thru the whole thing on diesels they were impressed since a couple of them are flying gassers ,martin
Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 PM
AMB

[quote]ORIGINAL: dieseldan

Jack I did pick up a spinner nut for the 1.08 today so I can spin with the starter I feel a little safer than hand flipping even with a chicken stick will fire up tomorrow afternoon
will use the 18 x8 wood zoar prop and davis ABC mix turns out the thread size is 3/8 x24 glad I brought the engine to the hobby shop to get tje right size I had about 3 people in awe. It had the davis head on it and I went thru the whole thing on diesels they were impressed since a couple of them are flying gassers ,martin
no not a quote wrong key
Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, Always a good idea to beef up the nose area of a model when using a diesel. Added compression can put more stress on the airframe when starting. Probably a .60 size diesel would be perfect. There is a fellow locally flying the 8 foot version with a Super Tigre .90 glow. Way more power than he needs. Jack
Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 PM
AMB

Jack I always do rule of the thumb 40 diesel equals 60 glow at least in my book might be off a little bit this rule has kept me out of trouble the little extra weight no issue my
apache 2 with the irvine 40 diesel davis head well above design wt with its tundra beef up still flying after 5 plus years martin
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Martin, I had one of the early yellow Senior ARFs, I flew it with an Irvine Q 72, the Q 72 is the equivalent of most .90s powerwise but runs so well at part throttle that it's size was never a problem.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:00 PM
AMB

Hobbs Davis thinks it will be fine at 1/3 rd throttle or so with the 1.08 will do the beef up on the front end no big deal martin

The guys at the shop also commented that is one the best OS made too bad not current production