Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

getting fuel into the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
senior_falcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting fuel into the tank?

What's the best way to pump fuel into the tank? Just curious to know what works for you folks.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: getting fuel into the tank?

I use the KISS method. A black squeeze bulb fueler, holds about 6 oz, the one used for gas, maybe 5 or 6 dollars with a piece of neoprene tubing
I have a crank pump but this is easier, some of the guys have some nice crank pump setups that fit the can so just a personal choice. Which ever one
you use close the can tightly to avoid ether loss martin

Also use an in line filter so no junk gets in the tank
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Jim Thomerson

Norvel makes (made?) and all plastic 2 oz syringe which works very nicely for putting in a measured amount of fuel in a small tank. I also use the black sullivan bulb as mentioned. I saw a fellow using the usually plumbed diesel quart can (two tubes, one to bottom, one to top, closed off with a piece of fuel tubing.) He attached the tube from the bottom to the fuel tank and a syringe to the top tube. He pushed in a measured amount of air. This way you could use any syringe as it does not touch the fuel. I thought it was pretty neat, but have not adopted it myself. [&o]
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Jim Thomerson

I use the black squeeze bulb. I also have an all plastic 2-oz syringe from Norvel which works nicely for measured amounts and small tanks. I watched a fellow fill his tank from one of the quart cans plumbed with one tube to the bottom and one at the top (closed with a loop of tubing when not in use). He attached the bottom tube to the tank and used a syringe to push a measured amount of air into the top fuel can tube. Thought it was neat as you could use any syringe because the syringe doesn't touch the fuel.

Sorry, double post.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I had trouble finding it - but it was worth the wait - for the Norvel syringe. Mine is about three years old now and shows no deteriation. It works very well for me but all my "working" diesels are small PAWs. One of the things I like about the clear syringe is that I can see the fuel - going into the syringe and going into the tank.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:37 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr
I had trouble finding it - but it was worth the wait - for the Norvel syringe. Mine is about three years old now and shows no deteriation. It works very well for me but all my "working" diesels are small PAWs. One of the things I like about the clear syringe is that I can see the fuel - going into the syringe and going into the tank.
I have one of the older NORVEL fuelers...white plastic. After about five years, some of the plastic on the top broke. I made a wooden disk and epoxied it to the remaining top...I like that fueler.

I suppose some day I will need to go to the neoprene bulb, but a six ounce bulb is a lot if you are flying an .033 diesel that day. []

Guess I'll have to make one of those (Dr. Diesel) gravity feed cans. Never thought to pressure it with a syringe.

George
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Look in the local drugstore for oral syringes. These can be adapted for our use.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
chevy43

Depends on what size plane and tank we are talking about.... I like my Dubro crank pump for 4 oz and up and I have used the black sqeeze bottle a lot too. Only thing I don't like about the sqeeze bottle is some fuel gets left in the bottle unless you guess just right. Then you have to put that down without it turning over and without the tip getting in the dirt and it gets hot in the sun...
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
slope-soarer

Being a cheapskate.....

I use either a glass bottle, with a metal screw on lid or a tin with a similar lid.

I solder into the lid 2 pieces of brass fuel tube. A loop of suitable diesel fuel tube is connected to the brass tubes, the loop is about 18 inches long. This is then cut in the centre of the loop and a piece of brass tube is used to join the loop up again.

Fill the can or bottle. Disconnect the brass tube from centre of loop. One end of tube goes onto tank filler the other is held alongside the fuel container which is then inverted. Gravity does the rest !

For the small amounts of fuel used with my diesels this works very well. Virtually no ether will be lost during the filling process.

Reg
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
FrancisPerson

Please see the pics and save time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35697.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	763092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23457.jpg