Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

3d?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 AM
wfastbugs2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3d?

Are diesel conversions any good for 3d? I have tried searching the subject but cant find anything
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
wfastbugs2

Default RE: 3d?

What does nobody know or does this little niche of rc have some secret code or handshake to get a reply? Wouldn't a smaller and lighter engine swinging a bigger prop and using less fuel would be a huge advantage in the 3d world where lighter is better. Also I have heard that diesels almost never dead stick wouldn't this also be an advantage? I am building a 120 size ultimate and was looking for a lightweight engine to power it and heard that a diesel converted ST 91 could swing the same prop as a 120 nitro burner but would like some input on the setup before spending the cash to set it up then get disappointed in the end.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically Diesels do not throttle well enough for extended 3d - that is not to say that you can't achieve the proper power to weight ratio - you can. it is the throttle transitions are a bit slower than glow.
Somehow I think you might be better served with the 120
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having many diesels in scale, sport, and some acrobatics I do not feel qualified to give you an answer on the is one, the ST 2330 is equivlant to gas. Your best bet is to contact Davis diesel. Bob davis will not just sell you a head " to make a sale" unless it is right for your application. His advice is always 100% on martin
Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
FrancisPerson

I am trying to setup a OS Fx .25 for a PBXL but I am not sure it will work because of the throttling issue (which only happens after light throttle and the engine cools down a little)

Francis
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Francis this is an issue with any smaller engine not enough metal to hold the heat, maybe cooling restriction would help my TT10 head temp when running the engine of the bench
was only 190 to 200 degrees and dropped at lower speeds martin
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Sorry, I'm a little late with this but YES you CAN use a Diesel in a 3D application! Check out my article in the December 2008 issue of Fly RC magazine: an OS 46La / Davis Diesel conversion in a Lanier 3D airplane. I'm still experimenting with props but I was pretty happy with the preliminary results. More on this story as it develops...

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs, Fly RC Magazine