Community
Search
Notices
EvoJet Direct Support When you have questions and need help from the source, discuss the EvoJet here.

Evojet 180vx starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
topiwala

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evojet 180vx starts

Hi Chad,
Well summer is coming. Though I've got some flying done through the early part of winter. Clocked up 20 flights on the UL and the 180vx.
I have something that I've noticed, occurring over the last few runs on the 180vx.
1. The start sequence on a couple of occasions has timed out. During these start attempts, I can hear the fuel ignite nicely, then the engine hangs before the heat sequence. The engine continues to spool at the low rpm of around 2900, and then times out. A subsequent start has so far been ok.
2. Also at another session, during the start attempt I can't hear any ignition take place, but can smell fuel. No ignition occurs and I have to abort the start due to a fear of flooding the engine, or a wet/hot start. After waiting a while, a subsequent start attempt results in ignition, but a very rough start and spool up. Quite a few pops, as it accelerates, until it goes through around 30k rpm and then all is fine. Smooth through the run in flight after that.
In either of these events, the engine has not caused any issues during normal running. It is only the start sequence that is causing me concern. Am I doing something wrong here?Is there anything in all of what I have described. Just to confirm, these issues are not the same as what I had before, which got fixed by replacing the battery with a Lipo.
I've checked all fuel lines, the filter, and pump voltages.
At start the pump voltage is around 2.2v. At idle it is 1.6v, and maximum v at fuel throttle is 9.33v. These have all been normal through out. The battery is at least 12v. It dips to around 11.8 during the start, which is expected and normal since day one.
Also, I can see the ignitor glow (dim to medium) during the start. Should this be a dim or a very bright glow. Could it be an ignitor issue?
Let me know if there is something I can check to confirm all is ok. Just want to be sure everything is fine.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks
Mayur
Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 AM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evojet 180vx starts

Email sent.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM
topiwala

Thanks chad. Will feedback after next flying session.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
topiwala

Hi Chad,
Just for closure. This issue disappeared as quickly as it came to light. Have had two very excellent extended sessions since my first post. The starts are perfect. I did adjust the ECU burner preheat time (#48), from 14sec to 20sec. This has sorted the issue out. The starts are still as quick as before.
Infact, the 180vx start sequence is so much faster than some other new turbines.
All is well...good weather on its way....more time to burn Jet A1....excellent.

Still waiting for news on a EvoJet 200plus......might have a model next year that could do with a 200-220....

Have great Xmas.....

Rgds

Mayur
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mayur,

Thanks for the great feedback. Have a Merry Christmas, and fly safe. Both RC and full-scale!!

Chad