Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Exceed RC Support - Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Taking the plunge - Falcon 40

Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Taking the plunge - Falcon 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the plunge - Falcon 40

Hi all, I've been flying planks for a couple of years now, but helicopters are fairly new to me. I bought an Air Hogs Helix last fall just to play around with, and I enjoyed it enough that I decided to try the next step up. I was considering a Global EF Sabre, but when I ran across the Exceed RC Falcon 40, I decided it would be a great next step for me. I ordered mine from Raidentech earlier this week and the big brown truck is scheduled to deliver it on Monday.

I was looking for a couple of pieces of advice:

1) What are a few of the settings and adjustments I want to pay particular attention to out of the box before I try to spin it up for its first flight? I know it's supposed to be "Ready to Fly," but I'm expecting that I'd benefit from a thorough inspection and tune-up before trying to take off.

2) Does anybody have any suggestions for a comparable practice heli on the Real Flight G3.5 simulator? I don't have any idea if the Watt-not or Finch might fly somewhat similarly to the Falcon 40, or if there is anything that is even remotely close with regard to flying characteristics.

I'm looking forward to joining the fun! I appreciate your help and suggestions in advance. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
ronf79

Default RE: Taking the plunge - Falcon 40

Congrats on the Falcon 40 purchase. As far as settings go, make sure the battery is balanced by holding the heli by the flybar with the flybar perpindicular to the tail boom. Then make sure that the heli hangs level. If it hangs leaning slightly forward, move the battery toward the rear a little and vise versa if it hangs leaning slightly to the rear. Also you may want to remove the main rotors and balance and adjust the flybar by itself. That makes it easier to tell if it is balanced because A. you don't have the rotor leaning to the left or the right to throw it off balance. B. you can sight across the paddle to make sure they are both level with each other and the rotor head ring. You can then spool it up and see if it vibrates excessively. As far as the trim goes, you really can't adjust it too well until you begin to fly it. I would suggest getting a training set (the ping pong balls on carbon fiber rods). They will help reduce the damage when you crash. Yes you will crash, unfortunately, it is part of learning. You are on the right track by using a simulator but as for which model to practice with, I can't say. However, any model you use will help your thumbs learn what to do. The pictures came from the venom night ranger II manual. It's pretty much the same heli as the falcon 40. I have ordered parts for it to use on my falcon 40. Here is a link to download the manual. [link=http://www.venom-group.com/print_motion/manuals/aircorps/VNR2_Manual.pdf]VNR2_Manual.pdf[/link] Good luck and happy flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49510.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	670909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67338.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	670910  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:55 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks ronf79, that was exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for! I'll also add training gear to my shopping list.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM
ronf79

Your welcome bigedmustafa. There are many more tidbits of info if you browse through the forums. Check out [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4826535/tm.htm]Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum
[/link]