Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Eagle 50 Motor ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM
AZheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle 50 Motor ALERT

Having burned out & replaced the OEM motor on my Eagle 50, I decided to dissect the fried motor, like I once did as a kid with toasted electric toys.

The wire armature windings are surprisingly stout & didn't short out on my motor. The brushes really are carbon - little bitty things that don't appear to be built for the long haul. Nevertheless, when the motor blew, it bent one of the brush arms so it no longer contacted to commutator. A little reconfiguration and reassembly & it appears to now run at full RPM's again ... for now.

But Wait, There's MORE:

EVERYONE who has the OEM Exceer RK-370SD motor with the yellow label on the motor body: Go look at your motor & see how the Marketing/Inventory/some dumb pencil pusher decided to design and apply the yellow label - it covers the ventilation slot on one side of the motor body. The motor has a little fan built into the armature which draws in air at one end of the case, & out the other end. They clumsily managed to cover up one of the cooling slots with the stupid yellow sticker - replacewment motors don't have this problem.

Your mission, in order to improve air flow thru your motor, is to yank out the motor & cut the portion of label covering the cooling slot.

I'll wager it adds more life to your motor
Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 PM
dknovick

Default RE: Eagle 50 Motor ALERT

ORIGINAL: AZheli

Your mission, in order to improve air flow thru your motor, is to yank out the motor & cut the portion of label covering the cooling slot.

I'll wager it adds more life to your motor
While your at it, just remove the entire sticker. It acts like a blanket around your motor, impeding the heat transfer.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
RobBeach

and while you're at it... put a heat sink on the tail motor and the main motor.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Lil Ray

Well all of what you are saying is true. I haven't replaced mine yet but I was flying mine and when I brought it down to land it started smkoing and lock up. I thought that the battery had be hit by something and that was the problem, but it wasn't. Everything is working except the main motor. And mine was the motor that came with it.

And I thought that I was the only one that had that problem!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Lil Ray

Where di you get your new engine from? And did it come with the wires attached? The only one's that I've found was the one's that don't have wires.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Lil Ray

I recieve a new engine from Andy a t exceed RC and replace it like you said, but it still does not want to spind. Everything else works but the main motor. Did something else burn out or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Lil Ray

I recieve a new engine from Andy a t exceed RC and replace it like you said, but it still does not want to spind. Everything else works but the main motor. Did something else burn out or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's your receiver.

Andy
ORIGINAL: Lil Ray

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
pa902

I smoked my receiver too -puff of smoke and it was dead -my fault -didn't have an online fuse