Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Main Rotor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
tgabe24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Rotor Issue

Can someone give me a clue?
I flew my Eagle 50 for a minute it ended up side down on the ground. Nothing broke that i could see. Now when i try to fly it the main blades don't speed up enough to take off. I noticed the motor was going faster than the blades. I beleive the gear is spinning on the shaft. I tried tightening the set screw but it will not fix the issue. Do i need to replace the shaft? Could there be any other things i can check?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Lil Ray

Default RE: Main Rotor Issue

Did you check the the main gear to make sure that the motor is tight enough to spin it?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
tgabe24

Yes,
The main gear spins with the motor. I think the gear is spinning on the shaft.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:43 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sugesst you remove the main gear from the main shaft. You can see the main shaft has a groove and the hex nut on the main gear needs to be locked to that groove.

Let me know

Andy
Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 PM
AZheli

Yep, had that problem - easy fix. What Andy was really saying is that there is a flat on the lower end of the main rotor shaft that the main gear set screw tightens down onto.

I found that if you don't get it tightened down onto the flat, it spins up, loosens & gives the symptoms you have. I got one of mine grooved a little, so had to disassemble it & spin it in a power drill & touch it up with some fine abrasive cloth so that it would properly aligh & lock down - no further problems with it.

The entire incident made me realize just how close the top surface of the battery is to the bottom of the gear hub/shaft end. I got nervous with the close proximity & cut & attached a piece of polypropylene margarine dish lid to the battery so the whole thing will gouge & scrape on it instead of on the battery, in case of a mishap. Poly pro is pretty tough & abrasion resistant & the small piece the dimensions of the top of the battery weighs practically nothing.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
tgabe24

OK,
I look at that. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
mrgemini527

mine is doing the same . glad i read this.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
mrgemini527

thank you for the info
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 AM
cflytrap

You can see the main shaft has a groove and the hex nut on the main gear needs to be locked to that groove.
After a crash I find that the part that goes out the most is the grub screw on the fixing patch attached to the main gear. If the patch itself doesn't strip out when you remove the grub screw then all you need to do is replace the grub screw. Make sure you hit the flat spot and use locktite.

Its important that from the main gear up the shaft to the T-hub you have no slop. This should all spin together as a solid unit.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
N3GQM

I'm very new to this. Both the helicopters and posting. You would think a retired Network engineer would be an old hand, anyway; I have a G2 which I am attempting to upgrade to aluminum parts. I can't seem to get the main shaft ( I believe It's called theprincipal axis), out of the helicopter. I can pull it all the way to the gears, then it gets stuck. Am I missing something... I read the post on the set screws, but I removed them
Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
yadac123

the stock main shaft and the aluminum upgrade head main shaft are different.

Andy
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
N3GQM

Andy, I don't follow your comment on the main shaft and aluminum being different, Actually Mine were identical, only made of a different material.

The issue ended up being the flat spot mentioned earlier on the base of the main shaft. I believe there was enough of a bur, grabbing as I was attempting to pull it out. The new parts went in very nicely. After sitting here for hours, reading through all the inputs, I've gained a world of knowledge; However, I just wish it was more centrally compiled. Anyway, Thanks so much for the help.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
yadac123

Andy