Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions > Executive Vice President Candidate - Mark Smith
Reload this Page >

Position on FPV (First Person Video) Flying

Community
Search
Notices
Executive Vice President Candidate - Mark Smith This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Mark Smith, an AMA Executive Vice Presidential Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil.

Position on FPV (First Person Video) Flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Mr.Pibb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Position on FPV (First Person Video) Flying

I would like to know your position on FPV (First Person Video) flying and how it may (or may not) be integrated into the AMA. Currently based on the rules this type of "flying by video" AKA "Video Piloting" is not allowed, but there are discussions of adopting rules to allow this type of flying. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911761)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
marktsmith

Default RE: Position on FPV (First Person Video) Flying

My position is we need to ensure our AMA Safety Code maintains a safe flying environment for us while, at the same time, does not inhibit the growth of this new and exciting technology. I do not think we can, nor should we, try to regulate technology. I foresee a merging of our present radio technology with the UAS in the not too distant future. Just last month, our President, Dave Mathewson and I met with the President and CEO of Hobby Lobby, Jay Graves and his Director of Sales, Jason Cole to discuss this very subject. Both gentlemen are very supportive of AMA and want to ensure their product is in compliance with AMA. In short, the AMA Safety Committee is addressing the FPV. I feel confident we will have, at a minimum, the requirement for an observer when using FPV and that the model will not be flown outside the standard boundaries of the flying site.

Mark
Old 10-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marktsmith

My position is we need to ensure our AMA Safety Code maintains a safe flying environment for us while, at the same time, does not inhibit the growth of this new and exciting technology. I do not think we can, nor should we, try to regulate technology. I foresee a merging of our present radio technology with the UAS in the not too distant future. Just last month, our President, Dave Mathewson and I met with the President and CEO of Hobby Lobby, Jay Graves and his Director of Sales, Jason Cole to discuss this very subject. Both gentlemen are very supportive of AMA and want to ensure their product is in compliance with AMA. In short, the AMA Safety Committee is addressing the FPV. I feel confident we will have, at a minimum, the requirement for an observer when using FPV and that the model will not be flown outside the standard boundaries of the flying site.

Mark
I brought this up in the UAV/Drone forum once sudjesting the "safety observer" be a qualified pilot for the aircraft in use and be conected via "buddy box" with the pilot utilizing the FPV. Assuming the spotter/safety observer has the master control and can take over the moment he recognizes a potentially hazardous situation, like an instructor would.

I do not believe with this kind of safety net as well as the perameters you stated that any current AMA rules would be violated as primary control is still in the hands of a pilot with eyes on the plane.

Do you agree/disagree?

Thank you, Phil
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM
marktsmith

Phil, per my previous posting, this issue is currently under consideration by the Safety Committee which is comprised of several talented and dedicated modelers. I support the committee structure process and want to review their recommendations and accompanying rationale before I offer my opinion because I simply do not have all the facts.

Mark
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Mr.Pibb

Obviously everyone has opinions about what is or is not safe, and the question about using a spotter with the master trainer box has been brought up as a potential way to be "ok" based on the current rules.

In my opinion, requiring a spotter or buddy box is a deal killer for me and a lot of other people. The guidelines suggested here I think are good one's: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911761

I believe the safety committee is aware of those recommended guidelines written by those who understand that aspect of the hobby well, but if you have direct contact with those on the committee please forward that information to them.

Because of the current restrictions, I've done very little flying at AMA fields this year, maybe only four or five times. It really isn't worth it for me to pay AMA dues and club dues and not be able to use the field. I'm seriously considering not renewing this year.

IMHO the AMA needs to agressively fight the FAA regarding new restrictions (in committe AND legally if necessary). When we accept the premise that we have to give up more rights just to make people feel comfortable, then we might as well just lie down and let the goverment run every part of our lives. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Tim Stanfield
AMA 874660
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
marktsmith

Tim, thank you for your comments which I have forwarded to our Safety Committee. Please rest assured, no informed modeler wants more FAA oversight and thus, we have our best and brightest working on this.

Mark
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
typicalaimster

Mark,
I believe the rules we have posted over on RCG have been submitted to the safety committee. I know as a fact I handed a copy over to Rich Hanson when I met him in DC. Plus I believe Bob Underwood and David Gee have an electronic copy of the proposed guidelines... If you have questions I'm sure you can contact them regarding our efforts.