Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Rossi 60 long stroke ABC

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rossi 60 long stroke ABC

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM
CorvetteJeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rossi 60 long stroke ABC

What is everyone's opinion of the Rossi 60 long stroke ABC sold through SG models? It's advertised having 3.2 HP at 17,000 RPM but weighs in at a health 21.5 OZ. It is worth the $314 price or are you better off spending a bit more and get a JETT 0.56 or spend down and get a HP gold cup 0.61 (through MECOA at $190) or an Evolution 0.60NX ($149)? I am in the search for a high RPM speed engine to be used in a Sundowner 50. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Rossi 60 long stroke ABC

Nothing will beat a Jett 56lx...especially for the Sundowner 50, the price is cheap IMO for what you get, and a very light engine at that, the others won't come close, the rossi isn't bad but the weight is up there, and an HP gold cup is too old school, you wouldn't be happy with it.
Get the JETT!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i doubt that engine is making 3.2 hp. plus what prop you going to run to get it at 17,000. you will be over 26 ounces once you get the pipe and header. add in that you will need a 14 ounce tank for it. might as well run a OS 120 AX lol. That engine is a long stroke which means its designed for low rpm of around 10,000 on props like the 12x12 and 13x10 props.

Stay with the Jett 56 it will outlast any engine out there and makes the most stock power of engines out there.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't buy into 3.2hp at 17k. As to props, for a piped big block .60 with some muscle I would think a 10-7 or 10-8 is in the ballpark of the right load factor for that kind of rpm.

Jeff the thing is, do you want a small block (.40 size case) or big block .60? Big weight difference and more real estate in the engine compartment. I agree with the others in that you are better off with a high performance small case like the Jett .56. Or to spend less and trade off performance the Evolution .60NX with Jettstream exhaust seems to be getting positive reviews.

If you were going to fit a big block engine that spins, I'd buy an OS .77 VRDF on the marketplace/auction and fit a CF 9x10 prop. I have no idea if the airframe is up to it. And you'd be sucking 4oz of fuel per minute.

In the end the Sundowner looks fast but is only a sport speed airframe. 570 squares and lots of frontal area. Not sure how small you can go on prop, likely 9" is about the limit for disc area.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:43 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as someone who ran the Jett 56LX in my Sundowner, i can assure you that the Jett is the best if not the only bet to making the Sundowner scream within it's limits. i say limits cuz with a 9x7, the pre 1st flight drew many naysayers in regards to the prop size. first flight in a windy day shut 'em up real quick. a dozen flight later a 9x8 was installed, and while still on the rich side (never blew the intial plug either) the Sundowner was just a holy terror. a mild whistle somewhere in the airframe became a wicked howl.
the biggest naysayer was an electric flyer who ran a 14x7. he thought for sure the 9x7 wouldn't even get the plane off the ground........the engine was begging for a 9x9, but i never tried it.
the Sundowner was refitted with a BSE 50.
my intial quest to be into total all out speed is superceeded by age and the fact that i don't get out to fly more than 2-3 times a month.
never thought i would say it, but age has krept up with me.
the Jett 56LX will be an investment you won't regret.
buy Dub's aluminum mount too........i'd never mount an engine like this on a nylon mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55450.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	1533182  
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
CorvetteJeff

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice and I think you convinced me to buy the Jett.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorvetteJeff

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice and I think you convinced me to buy the Jett.

Probibly the right choice for that airplane but the new Rossi engines are quite good. I run one of the .45s from SG with their VP mods and an ultra thrust muffler on a scratch built 56" warbird racer. Had it turning an APC 9.5X7N at 16,200 on the ground. Very well mannered engine to boot. Was keeping up with the YS 110 powered guys.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21506.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1533975  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also consider the EVO .60NX with Jetts muffler since it will provide some serious speed too.