Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

TWIN PATRIOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
GAD77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIN PATRIOT

Hi

I'm starting to build patriot 40 and consider to build it as a twin engine and use 2 jett 35

My interesting is to go as fast as I can with the patriot.

Do you think 2 35 jett will be fast then the traditional patriot with one 56 jett up front?

Thanks

g.a

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: TWIN PATRIOT

A single engine Patriot was clocked at over 170 MPH [177?] so that is your target speed. Those Jett .35s need to be propped to give you a mathematical potential to go at least that fast if your project is to stand a chance.

A pair of engines with 6x8 props turning 25,000 rpm might do it.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be a slick project, no question about it, but I have a hard time thinking that a pair of .35's - strong as they are - will be faster. Maybe..? One thing to consider is that with a twin, not only do you still have the frontal area of the fuselage, but you have the two additional nacelles and about twice the engine paraphernalia in the airstream as well. Total drag will be higher, not by a trivial amount.

What about a single big block engine, like an OS .77 or .91 VR-DF? Total weight will not be much different.

But the twin would be way cool. What about a pair of .56's...?

If you do not factor in a fixed airframe, if you think about it the top speed potential of two of a specific engine is no higher than for a single.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will also have more weight so will have to fly with a higher AOA. I dont think it would be faster. A DF engine would be the best bet.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
A6TEXAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3uOT-X6uRI

check this out. it may give you some help or ideas.