Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Is this enough motor for a Diamond Dust electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Is this enough motor for a Diamond Dust electric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this enough motor for a Diamond Dust electric?

I currently have a Dust flying with an older Sport Jett 46. Flies great and I'm happy about the speed but I'm finding myself flying less glow and more electric or gas. I have a Turnigy 3648 1450kv motor and some 5S 3000 mah batteries. I was going to install this motor in a Multiplex funjet foamie (about 140mph in a funjet) but I don't have the funjet yet and I thought maybe it would power the Dust. Would it be enough to match the speed of the Jett powered one? My current Jett powered dust weighs just under 3 pounds and it spins a 9x7 prop. The electric will most likely spin a 7x6 e prop. Just trying to see if it's worth hacking up the front end to mount the outrunner.

Mike
Old 02-11-2012, 06:10 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Is this enough motor for a Diamond Dust electric?

The problem will be the battery weight and size. I think power wise you'll be OK. Have you tried to lay out were you'll need the components for balance? I would think the front spar will be where you want the LiPo.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, duplicate post.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike given the specs on the electric motor your looking to use it is about the same as a 2 Hp engine and will spin a prop at around 26,000 rpm on a five cell. It should be real close in performance to the glow powered airplane, perhaps a bit better if your careful about the weight. Either way it would make for a interesting experiment if nothing else.