Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

OS BGX for sport speed

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OS BGX for sport speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS BGX for sport speed

I've got a Lanier Dominator 1500 kit that I'm about to start, and I'm planning to hang an OS BGX on the nose. I'm not going to modify the airframe significantly, outside of maybe a built-up partial cowl.

I'm wondering if anyone has played with the BGX as a speed engine? I know a tuned pipe is in order, but what else? Should I bother with grinding out the intake or exhaust ports? Any recommendations for what prop to start with?

I know this doesn't fall within the usual "extreme" speed category, I'm expecting to get into the 125-130 range at best. Just hoping someone else here has fooled around with one of these engines before.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

measure carb throat diameter it may be smaller than the heli carbs if so use a 2 needle heli carb.. ringed engines have steel sleeves for the most part.. if so raise exhaust timing to 160-168 degree duration...with pipe setup you should perk it up a bit depending on prop used.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tuned pipe, pump, open carb up and run a 15x15 prop. should pull it around 9,000 or so. I have one of these i havent built yet andwill someday. I was thinking a MVVS/EVO 58 on pipe with 20x15 Carbon race prop from APC
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 1500 Dominator racers were best run with MOKI 2.10 XL engines, you could easly get 10,000rpm out of them and they were reliable