Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

6 year old Demon resurfaced

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

6 year old Demon resurfaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks Bad Asp...!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand all about fun with computers.
The cowl looks sharp.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There, I think I've done my part for TLAR aerodynamics and it's time to finish up the cowl and move along..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	West50 cowl 9.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	2134641   Click image for larger version

Name:	West50 cowl 10.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	2134642  
Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:00 PM
MJD

Compared to this I did a crappy job on the cooling inlet on the .65 and it seemed happy. So this oughta work.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:57 PM
MJD

3lb 5.2 oz minus finishing the hatch and trim and a few screws.

Name:	West50 cowl 11.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	2134664   Click image for larger version

Name:	West50 cowl 12.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	2134665  
Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 PM
dbacque

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!

What can you tell us about your servo hoods. I'm formulating thoughts on something very similar.

I'm out of the building business for now. Busy at work as well as around the house, getting ready for medical leave. Everybody says "Oh man, you're going to get so much building done!" But it's not quite like that. Mobility will be an issue and my workshop is not handicap friendly. I could go about an hour before I need something that I wouldn't be able to reach. So my SD build will have to wait until February or so. But I sure can do lots of thinking and planning in that time!

Looking good Mike. That's a beautiful setup.

Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by dbacque
Very nice!

What can you tell us about your servo hoods. I'm formulating thoughts on something very similar.

I'm out of the building business for now. Busy at work as well as around the house, getting ready for medical leave. Everybody says "Oh man, you're going to get so much building done!" But it's not quite like that. Mobility will be an issue and my workshop is not handicap friendly. I could go about an hour before I need something that I wouldn't be able to reach. So my SD build will have to wait until February or so. But I sure can do lots of thinking and planning in that time!

Dave
I've made a couple like that now, and as I casually plunk away and finalize rev 2 Demon, I'll have it as a standard part. I'll put the parts on a pdf so you can see and post later.

1/16" ply hatch, 1/32 ply hood sides, 1/32 ply cap over the top.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 PM
MJD

The hatch, for some forgotten reason, is offset on this Demon. Hench the lack of symmetry. I could standardize it and make it part of the kit, but every change has a secondary effect of some kind - in this case the design of the hatch locks in the location of the servo arm, requiring the mounting to be consistent and not a scratch build design-on-the-fly exercise. I goop my servos in now.. not sure that'll go over well as a standard method. Anyhow I am thinking of simple servo mounting schemes too, including hatch cover mounting. I have some of those molded plastic hatch cover/servo mounts that I thought of incorporating at one point. But in the spirit of wooden construction I'll think on the idea of laser cut ply versions. The aileron servo mounts in one of my ARFs are done like that.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:56 PM
dbacque

As always, I overthink things. I like the way you made the hoods.

Dave
Old 12-09-2015, 06:23 PM
MJD

Double post

Last edited by MJD; 12-09-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by dbacque

Dave
Hey do those images show up for everyone else? Not on my screen, just says attachmentxxxxxattachmentyyyy.. but when I edit it I see them..

So Dave, why don't you move into the workshop? My wife has suggested this before..

I thought I'd do all kinds of things in my time off.. 7 weeks I guess it was.. and while I did crank away at a few things, I also loved the part about going to bed and having no idea what I might do in the morning, and then waking up and actually doing bugger all because I could. It was a cruel taste of retirement life, got to like it a lot.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 PM
dbacque

Yeah, that the attachments on that last post didn't work. Just shows up as attachment xxxxx and clicking on them says they don't work. But the explanation did work. Man, I was thinking of all kinds of ways of doing fiberglass and a little ply solves the day. I love it.

As for moving into the workshop. Well, with as many airplanes as there are in it, there's just no place to sleep. Much less space to maneuver the one knee scooter I'll be riding on. Oh well, I can wait. The Demon will be fast next season.

Dave
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 PM
dbacque

Yeah, the attachments on that last post didn't work. They just shows up as attachment xxxxx and clicking on them says invalid attachment.

But the explanation did work. I was thinking of all kinds of ways of doing fiberglass and a little ply solves the day. I love it.

As for moving into the workshop. Well, with as many airplanes as there are in it, there's just no place to sleep. Not even enough space to maneuver the one knee scooter I'll be riding on. Oh well, I can wait. The Demon will be fast next season.

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 12-09-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:33 PM
dbacque

Yeah, the attachments on that last post didn't work. Just shows up as attachment xxxxx and clicking on them says invalid attachment.

But the explanation did work. I was thinking of all kinds of ways of doing fiberglass and a little ply solves the day. I love it.

As for moving into the workshop. Well, with as many airplanes as there are in it, there's just no place to sleep. Not even enough space to maneuver the one knee scooter I'll be riding on. Oh well, I can wait. The Demon will be fast next season.

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 12-09-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:07 PM
MJD

Try again..

Name:	Demon hatch custom.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2135128   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch1.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2135129   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch2.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	2135130   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch3.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	2135131  
Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
MJD

I got a double post, you have a triple there. I wonder what the record is

I can see the pictures now, can you?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM
combatpigg

The pictures look good from here.
I think as long as Demon builders are made aware that some of the top pylon racers GOOP their servos flat to the fiberglass fuselages of their planes, that should help persuade some to try it.
As long as the servo can be GOOPED to a 1/16" plywood pad it ought to be bullet proof. You could also prep a balsa surface with a well glued in piece of 1/32" plywood, to give a GOOPed in servo a more substantial base....but I haven't tested this option. A test to see how much force is required to peel 2 sq inches of plywood from a balsa surface would settle that question.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 PM
MJD

The Goop bond is pretty tenacious and over a decent amount of surface area so there is no question of security. If the balsa is soft, a ply pad is smart. I have Gooped them to harder balsa though-- this spreads the load very well.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 PM
dbacque

I like your servo hoods. I was thinking of the same ply base but then either glassing it over while adding the hoods or making vacuum formed hoods. And since I built a vacuum former, that's still an option.

Somehow, I'm intrigued by hooding the entire linkage out to the aileron horn. Easy to do with vacuum formed plastic. I'll probably break them in the rough where I have to land but they sure will have style points.

Yep, I'm definitely going with the magic faerie boogers for servo mounting.

Thanks for the details,
Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 12-10-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Which GOOP exactly are you talking about?

I've used 3M double sided foam tape with succes.
Coat the wood, whatever it is, with CA, until is you have a smooth surface. Green ZAP works best for me. Degrease servo with brake/clutch cleaner. Apply tape and position servo, leave overnight. At first you think it doesn't stick properly, the day after you'll nearly rip your plane to pieces to get that servo back out.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 PM
combatpigg

Hello RudeBoy...! You probably have a similar product in Belgium if you have never seen this brand. People use it to repair holes in rubber boots and loose soles of shoes and boots.
It has tolulene as a solvent so it shrinks quite a lot as it dries which might enhance it's grip.
I've used double sided tape / CA glue with .049 powered planes, but I think GOOP is a little bit stronger. All I know for sure is that GOOP mounted servos is endorsed by local .40 size pylon racers.

Name:	GOOP.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	2135396  
Old 12-11-2015, 02:02 PM
MJD

It truly is tenacious - very very strong and tough. Also note, it has some chlorinated solvent in it* so don't try it on EPO foam, although it looks okay when you first apply it it will turn the foam to mush.

As long as the substrate is clean and strong enough, the servo ain't going anywhere. You can slice them out if you need to later.

* at least the marine version does, I like it.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM
MJD

On foam tape, I have had enough trouble that I still use CA on each side.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by MJD
On foam tape, I have had enough trouble that I still use CA on each side.
Yessiree...!
IIRC, it was a ACE RC kit [maybe the GLH?] that suggested using double sided tape to mount the servos.
I've always used lacquer thinner to etch the servo cases and on the balsa surface I'm a believer in poking holes in the wood then soaking it with some medium CA to toughen it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.