Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes F-14

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes F-14

Is the Great Planes F-14 a fast plane? How does it compare to the Patriot? Does it also accept retracts like the Patriot?
What would be a good fast engine for it?

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes F-14

Jim,

I built one several years ago. I used a Webra Speed 61 in it. Yes, you can install retracts in it. I used Hobbico mechanical retracts. The linkage is a bit tricky to get right, but mine worked ok. It is a bit harder to build than the Patriot, especially the fuse. Check the linkage connection to the rudders and nose wheel. Unless GP corrected the plans, the nose wheel operates reverse of the rudders if linkage is connected per the plans. I found that it seemed a bit slower than the Patriot with a Royal 46 (built it in 1992) but I think that was to be expected with the large frontal area of the fuse on the F14. A larger engine might have helped with the speed, but then again, I really didn't need any more speed that it had. It does fly fairly slow if you want it to with no bad habits.
I added a pic of the one I built. The date on the pic is 1993.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42972.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	96843  
Old 02-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Rubbie

Jim, you can probably do a search and come up with all the good things about the F-14 (BTW I probably posted them all). This is probably one of my favourite planes, and yes I have build 3 patriots. The plane is a little heaver then the Patriot, and as such flies a little differently. It really grooves, I think it flies fast, not quite as fast as my patriot but fast anyway. I have a MVVS .77 with a full length tuned quiet muffler and a 10x11 prop that pulls it along great. It has Spring airs as I couldn't be bothered to put in the mechanicals (too hard to figure out). It glides forever as I think the fusalage contributes to the lift. If I was to build another one I don't know if I would put the rudders in as I probably haven't used them yet (3 years) this thing will handle all but the most powerfull crosswind landings and takeoffs. I know I must be babbling but I can't wait for the snow to clear (anothr 10 cm here in Toronto today!!!) this plane is one of the most enjoyable that I have. And I do own a patriot with a MVVS .49

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:25 AM
FlooredCOBRA

From the GP F-14'S I seen they were not that fast. They flew around nicely but was not a plane you would say that was fast. I seen few different set ups before one with a piped 60 and other with a 90. Both seemed like they flew about the same.

I seen both with retracts mostly on the F-14. It is a very nice looking plane but if your looking for speed I would choose the Patriot. Not to knock the F-14 is does look impressive in air but the speed does not fit the look. It all depends on what you consider fast also. If you are going from a trainer yes it will be faster.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Thanks much for the info guys.

Jim
Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey guys,

I have one that I put an OS 61 FX with a tuned pipe and it was super fast! The reason it was so fast was that I could not richen up the fuel mixture with the tuned pipe (a testament to how DIFFICULT it is to "tune" a pipe!!), so it ran lean more often than not. It would glide for ever on approach. I eventually took off the pipe because I got sick of the dead sticks. The last time I flew this airplane it glided so far that it rolled off the runway and cracked the nose! Oh well, an easy fix. It has the Hobbico mechanical retracts that worked just fine for me and the plans came with an addendum to set up the nose gear to steer in the right way with the rudders. I have moved on to turbines and giant scale. You know, I might even sell it! Anybody want to be a top gun at their field!!!LOL!!!!