Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot/Who's Built More Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot/Who's Built More Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot/Who's Built More Kits

I have a slight problem with the wing joint.Fit's perfect behind the main spar,but a crack in front of the main spar.Held a straight edge down rib one and it shows straight all the way from front to back.Got me puzzled. Don't want to sand too much as the number one ribs will get too thin.Wondering whether to epoxy the wings together but put the epoxy on the rear part of the wing and put a peice of balsa sheet in the crack with epoxy.Like shim the crack or fill it with Gorilla Glue.
The wings look good from the front as far as being straight (dihedral is there). From the main spar all the way back is a good tite fit.
I've built one Pat kit and may have had just a minute' space but this is larger but fixable.
I can pinch the front together but this causes a crack in the back so feel it would be better to leave the back tite with each other and deal with the crack.
I don't know if I've ever built a kit and had the wings turn out perfect as far as fitting together.But they've always flown well after my doctoring.

Can I get some feedback?What would yall do??
Thanx
Walt
Old 02-24-2004, 12:34 AM
Skribnod

Default RE: Patriot/Who's Built More Kits

I finished up my pat a couple weeks ago and had a gap about the same as yours so i filled it with epoxy and glassed the top and bottom. I never got a chance to fly it yet but the dehid. and height from table to wings are exact so I think it will fly Ok. I'm sure someone can answer the question for us. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28853.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	104461  
Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Rubbie

I just finished mine as well and it had the "crack", most of my planes do for some reason. Probably because of me rushing I just measure that everything lines up perfect then fill that crack with somthing (balsa, and epoxy). The strengh of the wing comes from the spar not that small piece at the trailing edge. And anyway you have to glue that huge underpiece over it later anyway. Don't stress over it use some epoxy and fill it in, then glass the section later. You are going to love this plane.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Thanx Guys,
I was going to wait a couple of days but I'm gettin' antsy so probably do that tonite.I mean,it's like,what choice do I have? So tonite I'll get that done..

Skri:What plane is that hangin on the wall.Spacewalker??
By the way:Love that Patriot..A good looker...Looks fast just sitting there.

Thanx again Guys
Walt
Old 02-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Skribnod

Yeh q-ball its a Seagulls spacewalker II , just the 40 size and fun to fly. I have a 1/4 scale GP spacewalker but just havent gotten around to putting it together yet. The little spacewalker had a bad crash and I just snagged it back together and it still flies great. Thanks and hope to see your patriot pics up when you get it finished.