Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Shrike 10--1st speed plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 10--1st speed plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shrike 10--1st speed plane

Hi,
I just picked up my Shrike 10 kit--it will be my first actual speed plane.
My engine options are OS 15 (the little bushing R/C engine), OS 25 FSR or Webra 32 Speed.

My question: How fast with each engine? My fastest current model is an Aresti 40 with Rossi 53 with mini pipe. I can keep up with it, no problem, but not sure about the Shrike with anything more than the little .15.

Any advice will be appreciated; well, most advice, anyway!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Q-Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shrike 10--1st speed plane

Jim,
I would think that the Webra would be the stronger of the group if your after speed.Depends on the prop.I've found out that the same engine can do a lot of different things by changing the prop.
I"ve had four Shrikes,all 40 size and the 40 size will fly nicely with a 25,so it don't take a power house to move it.If it's your first speed plane,I wouldn't over do it.Get used to the handling and go from there.They're a different little animal but a lotta fun.

Keep us posted
Walt
Old 02-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Strykaas

SalmonBug has just flown his, OS.32 + tuned pipe equipped. He should chime in soon...
Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Howdy,
The Shrike 10 is a good first speed plane. The .25 will really make it go. With the Webra you might have to add some tail weight.

Some mods you might want to consider if you use anything above a .15 are: Move the firewall back a quarter inch, Use hardwood spars in the wing, & sheet the entire wing and tail area. Also you might want to add some balsa to the inside of the trailing edge to give the hinges something to grab.

The firewall mod is to help in balancing the heavier engine, when using a .25 and putting the battery as far back as possible no additional weight is required. The other mods are to keep the plane in one piece.

Enjoy,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20444.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	107582  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:27 AM
SALMONBUG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as strykaas mentioned, here I am.

here are the mods I suggest if you are going with a .30 size engine

-replace the balsa wing spars by spruce spars
-enlarge the wing sheeting
-sheet the stab
- sheet the fins one side
-move firewall backward 1/2 inche
-extra hatch in the back of the fuse for battery pack
-builded canopyless to reduce the drag

mine flown something like 140MPH. My neveuw overstressed the airframe during extreme hig speed manoeuvre and this resulted in a wing failure in flight......

this was a great flyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85838.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	107659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77769.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	107660  
Old 03-04-2004, 09:15 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

I did most of the same mods that Salmonbug did to his. After going to the .32, I won't go back to the .25. I actually like my Shrike better then my JETT FIRE powered Diamond Dust. Beefing up the wing is definitely needed. I ripped the wing off my first .32 powered one. Good Luck. [link=http://www.911teletrainer.com/craig/shrike4.htm]Craig's Shrike[/link]
Old 03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Jim Oliver

Hi,
Thanks for all the good info; I decided to "Go for the Gold"!![X(] Just got a new Webra .32 for the Shrike, will use standard muffler and maybe a 10x4 prop to begin with.

I will certainly follow your suggestions for strengthing airframe--had already decided to replace balsa spars with spruce; will add sheeting to other areas, too.

Thanks, again.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Strykaas

Just got a new Webra .32 for the Shrike,
Welcome on-board ! I have the same setup being built right now... I also plan to use std unbaffled muffler for first flights, and then perhaps (is still in one piece), add a tuned pipe (but that would be merely a contest issue, I have something to sort out with Salmonbug).

Which Webra did u choose : ABN or ringed ?

Keep us posted as you move forward !
Old 03-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Jim Oliver

Hi Strykaas,

My LHS had a NIB Webra 32 ABN for $75.00 that I couldn't pass up--would probably have gotten ring version if available. Also looked at MVVS 28. My previous experience with Webra helped me decide--I know Webras; I'm sure MVVS would be fine but don't have any experience with them--yet.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Carl.E

I had a Shrike 10 with MVVS 28 in it...you can turn the cylinders on those to rear-exhaust and use a rear tuned-pipe. Only before they are broken in though! I turned mine to rear exhaust for less drag. (looks cooler too[8D]) Turned an 8x7 at over 15,500 as I recall. Moved right along with that engine...much faster than the OS 25FP I had in it before that...hehe. I had nothing but great experiences with my MVVS's..I also had the GRRT pylon engine in a Diamond Dust, which is a good step after the MVVS 28-powered shrike if you still crave speed.

No experience with Webra's, sorry!

Carl
Old 03-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Q-Ball

I'm not famailiar with the Webra engines but have always been tempted to try one.I am famailiar with the MVVS"s. I have a 49 and a 40,both power houses that like to turn hi rpm's. I'd recommend them to anyone..I'm running a 9X9 on the 49 and it really gets it.
Later
Walt
Old 03-23-2004, 12:25 PM
gusser

Hey folks....I'm thinking about glassing my shrike .10. I have an 0s25fx for power. Any suggestions as to thickness of the cloth to be used??? Hopefully it wont slow it down too much....whadaya think???
Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Do you want it fast or durable? To go fast with maximum durability use hardwood spars, sheet the whole wing & the tail area.

Joe