Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

V-Tail Mixing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
radiocontrol
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Tail Mixing

I have ordered my first plane with a V-Tail configuration. (Viper 500). I have a computer radio that explains the setup, but the instructions aren't very clear. If set up properly, I assume that if I pull back on the right stick, both ruddervators will go up. If I push forward on the right stick, both ruddervators will go down. If I move the left stick to the right for right rudder, will the right ruddervator go up and the left ruddervator go down? Or vice versa? I'm confused! Also, what is the advantage of a V-Tail over a standard tail will rudder and elevator?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:34 PM
MikeMc

Default RE: V-Tail Mixing

For right rudder.

Right = down
Left = Up
Old 06-30-2004, 06:49 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

RC,

Go take a look in the pylon forums. There are a number of posts on exactly what you're asking.

But to answer your question here, when moving the rudder stick to the right (for right rudder), the right ruddervator will go down and the left will go up AS VIEWED FROM BEHIND THE AIRPLANE. This is the opposite of how the ailerons operate. Remember that you're dealing with the yaw axis (not the roll axis) and it should become more clear.

You are correct about both ruddervators moving up when you pull back on the elevator stick.

There are several advantages to the V-tail config. First, there is less wetted area and one less surface for your empennage, thus there is less drag. Second, because the angle of the V-tail is greater than 90 degrees and depending upon where on the fuselage the V is mounted, draggy surface intersections are avoided. Third the elevator will never be blanked by the wake of the wing thus there won't be a "dead" spot in the elevator's responsiveness.

There are also disadvantages to the V-tail config. First, setting it up takes thought (until you're used to doing it). Second, it's a lot harder to build and set the correct angle of incidence. Third there may be roll coupling when giving rudder input.

That's just off the top of my head. Maybe others can think of more advantages and disadvantages.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:52 PM
radiocontrol
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks MikeMc and js3. I appreciate your input.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:55 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

The easiest way for me to remember, is that the movement will be the opposite of the Aileron.

If you hold the aileron stick to the right , the right is up, and the left is down.

For a V-tail, it is the opposite when you hold the rudder to the right.