Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Why No Nelsons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 12:36 PM
NitroWoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why No Nelsons?

I'm just curious. It seems everyone who wants to go really fast use Jetts. Henry builds fantastic engines also so why isn't his stuff more popular. Is there a problem I don't know about?
Old 07-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nelsons

I don't think they come with throttles, do they?
Old 07-14-2002, 02:09 PM
RossiRay

Default Nelsons

Henry used to offer a .40 or .50 variant of the Q-500 engine with an ST 12mm carb. It was available with a choice of mufflers to tune it to the application. When the parts supply for the carb dried up, the engine was no longer listed. Hopefully when ST parts become available again it will come back.

He does currently offer a rear intake/rear exhaust version with a 14mm(!) carb. It can be set up with an Ultrathrust muffler or full length tuned pipe. The only issue with this engine is the needle valve is close to the centerline, so a remote needle assembly is necessary to install it on some models.

I have one of each and you are right, they are fantastic powerplants. I have the side exhaust engine on a Whiplash, and it is a hoot to fly. Perfect throttle response, and when that thing comes down the runway at full bore it is just a howling blur!

RR
Old 07-20-2002, 11:08 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nelson Vs Jett

I think it basically comes down to economics.

I believe the Sport Jett .40 is about $260

When Henry sold the Sport Nelson .40 it was about $360

Many sport fliers struggled to spend $260 on a sport engine, let alone $360.

I'm sure the Nelson was every bit as good as the Jett, if not better, but thats quite a price spread.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:30 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why No Nelsons?

One of the things you have to keep in mind is the "line up" offered by Dubb Jett, along with where they're located and the great service. I am not that familiar with Nelsons, but am curious as to how many different size displacement motors he offers? Isn't he strictly quickee/pylon?

I currently own 2 Jetts, and love them. BUT, even his prices can be a little hard on the wallet!

Gary
Old 07-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Fuel Dinosaur

Default .35 aero

There is a good sleeper engine, a .35, not the venerable .32, but the .35. Now available, at least was in Canada and other places. One problem is that you can go great guns with a nice fast .45 or so, but to get the speed AND the maneuverability, with a .35, you need little or no tail weight, and built light, but strong, you can both great speed and maneuverability. Not much fun to always go in a dive and through the timer, consider a .35 for a Diamond Dust and similar planes.