Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

prop's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:45 PM
drnickm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop's

Is there any advantage of using an APC pylon prop over an APC racing prop. I have been using the Pylon prop on a viper with a sport Jett 50. Prop's look different. I wonder which is best.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:01 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: prop's

I was not aware there was a difference ..... we tend to use the term racing prop and pylon prop interchangeable. The only different one would be a "sport" prop which would be C-1 or C-2 series.

For any of the Q-500 type applications, such as your Viper, you want to use any of the APC D-1 series pylon props.

If you have the standard SJ-50 muffler (not the SS muffler) I suggest an APC 8.8x8.5 for good all around sport/speed performance. You can also try the 8.8x8.75, 8.75x9W, and 8.8x9.25 (last one only if the engine is well broken in, and you are careful with the needle).

I hope this is helpful.

Bob
Old 09-19-2004, 06:43 PM
drnickm

Thanks for the reply. There seems to be a little difference between the sport prop and the racing prop. The racing is a bit thinner at the tip. the plyon is noticably thinner which is what I have been using in the sizes you mentioned. One of the guys in my club is using the racing prop so I thought I would give i a try. Oh yeah the needle is real close. I shaved a bit of flesh once.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I meant the needle close to the optimum setting...

When did you purchase your Jett engine? Almost all of the engines for the past two years have been provided with the universal remote needle valve. Mounts on the backplate of the engine, or on the firewall... or anywhere you want.

If you have an earlier engine, its definately a good investment. The universal remote and be used on any engine. I use them on just about all of my aircraft these days.