Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Fuse finished, one wing framed up, breaking in engine.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start mine next week (Sunday?). Everything else will be off my building board by Friday. My only change is that I will be implementing full flying stabs. I am working on the drawing now to ensure I don't have issues with other parts of the build later on.

Also, I plan on getting the Jett pipe to bolt on it. From Bob's post, it looks like my OS91 will not be too shabby after all.

Spar
Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sparhawk:

Do you think you could post the details of your flying stabs?

I'm going to build Pavel Bosak's PITN F-4 Phantom before I start my SU-27, and I'd like to do flying stabs on both.

Looks SO much more realistic.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:01 PM
magnumeng
My Feedback: (8)

I have contracted my plane out to be built. We are shooting for it to be ready for April or May of 06. Hopefully he finishes sooner...
Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Blade47

Just a side note ... there has been 20,031 hits to this thread and only 20 or so reported SU builds ..has got to be more out there some place Hmmmmm?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-03-2005, 07:19 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

I have been watching this thread as I'm going to start building a AKM Mig this winter.
Not much info when compared to the SU thread that has been ongoing here.
I have really enjoyed reading the info on this thread.
John
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 PM
HaveBlue

well I'm getting to my build,..Ive bought a new garden shed to put up so I can clean up this mess !!!!..the only thing now is to get the concrete layed for the shed that way I'll get my garage back!!!..then I can get my SU done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10008.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	333703  
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Have Blue,

Looks like my bedroom.

Don
Old 10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

For those of you who have not purchase a pilot figure for the Flanker, I found a good source of pilot figures at Pete's Pilots in the UK. The AKM Flanker is close to 1:10th scale. Pete has a good looking 1:10th scale jet pilot (the pilot with the black visor).

http://petespilots.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

I ordered and received the 10th scale and it is a perfect fit. It is a hollow rubber figure and comes fully painted. The price shipped to the US was only $13.60.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Sparhawk

Very nice - thanks for the link. I just ordered one for the Flanker, plus some more for other jets I have/going to build.

Spar
Old 10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Atom Ant

Although they are more expensive, http://mgapilots.com/ has some really nice figures. I have a few and they are exceptional.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Sparhawk

They are nice but have two major flaws. 1) not available in this scale , and 2) pretty pricey.
I think I will stick to a $15 pilot... Top Gun jet deserves them.

Spar
Old 10-09-2005, 08:43 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

I have nearly completed the basic frame for both wings. I found on my first wing build that once I installed it on the fuse, it was a little bit off and did not fit perfectly. The outboard rib on the fuse did not match perfectly with the inboard rib on the wing. It is only off less than 1/8th of an inch at the leading edge. For the second wing, I partially assembled the wing frame with tack glueing out to the third rib, then removed it from the board and checked the alignment. I had to "tweak" the inboard rib little to get a perfect mate with the fuse. I glued it in place and put it back on the board and completed the framing. This resulted in a closer mate between the wing and fuse.

The original wing design has the last three bays of the wing open (unsheeted) and the ribs covered with rib caps. This was eveidently done to "lighten" the wing. I originally planned to sheet the entire wing. However, I will modify this and sheet the last bay on the top and bottom of the wing. I saw someone else do that and thought is was a good idea. It won't add much weight and will add some strength to the wing tip. Since there have been no reports of wing instability (flutter), this is obviously not required but it makes me feel better about the stength of the wing.

I am also not truely comfortable with the wing mounting design. I have seen other removable wings with a dowel in the back for alignment, stability and strength. Again, there have been no reports of problems with the original design, but are there any thoughts/comments about adding a dowel near the back of the wing?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Blade47

I sheeted the full wing on my Su and wrote about it in one of the earlier post along with 3" wing extensions .... makes it a whole lot easier to use two colors on the wing. I have had no problem with the wing attachments the way they are ( well almost stock ) and see no need for the extra dowel IMO.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:49 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

I thought I remembered that you had sheeted your wing. Well, I decided to sheet mine as well. Here is a photo of the first wing sheeted. I will use a single piece of balsa to sheet the other wing.

Name:	Yv66031.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	336620  
Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From the pic... I think the top of your fuse needs a little more sanding, it looks a bit "square".
With some TLC you can get the backside of the plane to look really smooth, but it's hard to do when the rest of the fuse (LEX) is already installed...

On a different note: has anyone used (flown) anything else besides the Spring Air 101 HD retracts?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Rudeboy, I have not done the final sanding/shaping of the fuse and other surfaces yet. It is far from its finished look. I always save that for last, just before covering. Hate to get the final finish dinged up during construction. If you look close, you can also see that there is some filer around the lex and other joints. The leading edge on the wing is also just roughed in and the vertical fins are not glued in yet. I just put it together for the photo and to give me a feal for how the plane will look when finished.

NOTE: After inspecting some of my earlier photos, due to the design and construction of the fuse, there is not a lot more "meat" to take off of the corners to make them round. If you take off too much, you will weaken the structure. The area above the nose wheel will remain flat for the cockpit. However, as I said, I still have to do the final shaping and sanding. Be careful not to remove too much of the corners!!

BTW - do you have any photos of your Flanker?

Name:	Fd91872.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	336736  
Old 10-11-2005, 10:03 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

I think this should be posted in the building tips forum but as I was sheeting the wing on the Flanker, I added some CA to the balsa joint and reached for some waxed paper to press the joint together while the CA cured. I had put the waxed paper in a drawer and by the time I would have gotten to it, the thin CA would had cured so I grabbed a piece of clear stuff that was laying around from a Monocote patch job I had recently finished. The clear backing that is on the back of Monokote is what I picked up and put it over the joint, pressed in down and waited a few seconds for the CA to cure. Much to my surprise, the clear stuff pulled off without sticking at all. I thought this was a fluke and tried it again on some scrap balsa. WOW!! CA WILL NOT STICK TO THAT CLEAR PLASTIC STUFF.

I have been using it religiously to hold pieces together as the wet CA dries. You can feel the heat as the CA cures but then it just peals right off. No more waxed paper for me. If you have some scrap pieces of Monokote, peel the clear stuff off the back and use it instead of waxed paper.

I know I am not the first to discover this, but I thought I would pass it on.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 AM
agnew

Hi Rich,

After reading and looking at the information on the AK-Models SU-27, I decided to purchase the plane. Can you tell me a little bit ablout the flight charecteristics of the plane.

If you would not mind sharing your flying experience in some detail, I would appreciate it!

Darrell

Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

we need this plane in a ARC form , this would be a sell out !!!!! Dont get me wrong I love to build but I have to many projects going and this is a great value and seems to be a great KIT
Old 10-18-2005, 10:38 PM
agnew

Hello,

I am curious about the tips you might have on building the Flanker SU-27. I just purchased the plane and have reviewed the list of items to purchase on page 2 of the manual. Plane not here yet as it just shipped today. Did you purchase exactly what was on this list or did you have to change some things?

Anything that you can offer advice wise, would be appreciated.

Darrell
Old 10-22-2005, 10:12 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

Just an update on construction. I am now in the final sanding and shaping stage. I have pulled out my secret weapon (Power Plane) to help with the final shaping. I also use an assortment of home made sanding tools as shown in the photos.

I did not like the plastic covers for the servo bays so I made mine out of scrap balsa (some else did this as well). I copied the last two formers and then used 1/16th inch balsa as the sheeting.

I had some "tubes" laying around that are used for routing wires inside the planes. Looking closely, you can see one sticking out behind the aluminum wing tube. I also used this tubing in the wing panels. Makes things a bit neater.

I also got an idea from a friend at my flying field on a "Wing Box". The wing panels are small on this plane and some of my other planes. The commercial wing bags are just too big. My friend made a "Wing Box" for his small wing panels and I just copied the idea. It is made of foam board that you can purchase at any department store or Staples. The box cost a whopping $11.00 including the packing tape. I can provide more details on request.

Name:	Lj22737.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	342279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80054.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	342280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31020.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	342281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47392.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	342282  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Blade47

Very cool Vic ! the fun part has started .... Sanding/Shaping [:'(] ...Not to blow my own horn ( Beep Beep ) but I post the pictures of the hatch Mods ..they work well and look clean.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
bayareajeff

Has any one done this kit up with and Electric??

Thanks..
Jeff
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Blade47

Not that I have seen on this thread ... but may be neat build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.