Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Hooooweee!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 11:48 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooooweee!!!!

Just ordered my Whiplash late last night I'm getting the airbrushed version with the CanAm scheme since I live relatively close to the Canadian boarder. I can't wait till it gets here!!! Now for the hard part.. deciding what engine to get.

I'm leaning towards the JETT FIRE 50.... would this be a really good choice??? I just cannot swing the cost of a Nelson, otherwise that F1 engine would be MINE!!!

Any other FAST engines out there that I should be looking at????
What prop would suit the FIRE 50 well?? I'm leaning towards an APC prop, but are there others out there that I should be looking at??

Thanks!
Deck
Old 08-15-2002, 05:18 PM
deckerv

Default another question :(

Also... how easy are they to handlaunch? I see on Aerojet's website a Whiplash launcher.

Are we talking a heavy throw to launch these, or just a light toss like my Projeti??

For the engine, what's better??? Bigger displacement (Jett FIRE 50) or more rpm's (Nelson 40 FAI)

I'm just looking for pure speed. There's a dude in this area with a Shrike topping around 160-180ish.... I want FASTER

If I could swing a Nelson FAI 40, does it need a riser header to clear the wing, or would the straight pipe give enough clearance?? I figured I'm doing this, I'm going to do it right the first time and get something put together that will turn heads.

Thanks!!
deck
Old 08-16-2002, 12:14 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Take it easy..take it slow...

Don't get too caught up in the MPH wars..many of the speeds quoted are just guesses. Get a good quality engine, set it up properly, and you will go fast.

I think the GRRT will go fast enough to smoke your Shrike guy...read some of Andy Steere's GRRT numbers...that is cooking pretty good.

The Jett FIRE 50 will, too. This engine on a 9X10 will give you plenty of speed, Dustflyer has one on a DDust with this combo, and it hooks.

If you have to ask about the header on a Nelson FAI, then you might not be ready for this class of engine...the pipe is coupled right to the engine (and it is on the GRRT, too, but..) and these are not easy to tune sport engines...they are so much more finicky than anything else you have mentioned..FAI pylon racers carry a box of props that are just a minute amount different from each other, and a box of head shims of different thicknesses, just to tune their engines from day to day. And they don't have carbs..just fuel shut-offs. And they use a special ($$$) glow plug, can't just slap a long Fox in it..These are extremely complex designs made for all out speed. This, and the fact that the props they must run give very little static thrust on take off (remember the take off questions??) would make for a plane that wouldn't be very easy to operate. But if you ever got it tuned and in the air it would outrun a Shrike.

Even the OS fan engine I was running was pretty easy to set up, and again the pipe was hooked right to the engine.

So my advice is to not get too wrapped up in being the fastest thing on the planet..just get a good, reliable FAST set-up and have fun!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:27 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Default Hooooweee!!!!

I'm running a ducted fan os 46. Right now it is the fastest thing at the field. I put air whistles on mine. When the engine dies and the plane slow down the whistles kick in its got a wicked sound, people think it comes from the engine, then they come down and check it out.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooooweee!!!!

Here is my "Shrike" which has been seen around here. I run a simple TT46 pro with a Ultrathrust muffler. It turns 17000 rpm and speed is about 120. Not bad for a simple TT. Now I have not clocked it. I can take my friends F-20 with Jett 50 and it has been clocked. Now that F-20 weighs a couple more pounds. Where i am going with this is You put a Jett on this Shrike and it will really move.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21705_8393.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13677  
Old 08-16-2002, 12:57 PM
deckerv

Default Hooooweee!!!!

Decided on a JETT FIRE 50, possibly the BSE version.... Thanks for all the input guys!!

I know these are high performance engines, so how well do they hold up??? As well as a sport engine?? I'm thinking that I'd probably fly this once or twice every other week is all, so it's not going to see a ton of use.

Thanks!!
deck