Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
 Magnum carnage... total loss... >

Magnum carnage... total loss...

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum carnage... total loss...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum carnage... total loss...

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

If it were a switch failure, plane wouldn't have rolled suddenly....

True, it would not initiate a roll on its own ....... but ... loss of switch/battery connection would leave the servos in what ever position they were in when power was lost. If the aileron servo was off center at that instant, it would roll.

Apparently there was a delay of some kind between when this happened, and when the roll was able to be corrected. Could be explained by an intermittent electrical connection.

An aileron linkage failure or a control surface pulled out on the hinge line would create an uncommanded roll as well. So far, I can not interpret if that may have happened in what has been described. The fact that he was able to correct the roll leads me to believe the surfaces were intact.

As I noted.... the switch and RX post is just intended as useful experience. Not specifically a post-mort of this particular crash.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using the kit plastic clevises?

Mine went straight in the bin and were replaced with metal ones. The only one I kept was the one on the throttle. This snapped in flight and left me with a full throttle magnum until the fuel ran out.

IMO I would ditch the plastic clevises.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did replace the clevises... but I replaced them with proper nylon clevises.

The ones that come with the kit are indeed some kind of plastic, and they appear to be more brittle... that, and they are way too big.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:26 AM

Gents (and any Ladies),

Just put my Weston Tigershark in this morning. Full power impact, and a total loss of the airframe, the hardware is still to be checked. It is difficult to pinpoint the cause, however the symptoms prior to the crash may be applicable to this thread. The aircraft was difficult to turn to the right right, from the first flight. As bank increased the nose would drop and past a point could not be maintained level with elevator. On the fatal flight I was playing with a pylon racer, doing all left turns. I noticed that I had to back nearly 90 deg to avoid gaining lots of height. I had already worked out that there was a trim problem in yaw and was going to fix it after today. At this point the problem was manageable. After playing for 5 or 6 minutes the racer landed and I rejoined a right circuit for some low passes. I immediately encountered the right turn problem, however it seemed worse. On the first circuit I lost a lot of height, and thinking it was my poor flying turned for a second circuit. This time I lost more height and nearly lost the aircraft, I recovered to level flight and a shallow climbout under full power. As the aircraft crossed the fence, it rolled slowly to the right, dropped the nose and impacted the runway end quite spectacularly. Prior to the flight I had been having some trouble with lifted covering and was considering taking it off and painting the model. On the first flight today there was some more covering lifting from the centre of the right wing. I looked around for some CA to glue it down, but couldn't find any. I elected to crease the trim back flat, believing the airflow would keep it flat on the wing. I now believe I was wrong and the covering came off more and either acted as a right wing spoiler or created turbulent airflow over the right elevon. Lifting and bubbling covering is an ongoing problem for me with ARF's, from now I will stick to painting models.

Seeya
Old 12-01-2004, 10:13 AM

Must look quite spectacular aircraft going in at 200mph +.

Seriously though, what do you guys use for radio, pcm and if so what do set fail save. I had a large aerobatic using PC with fail save off. It was fine for some time, untill I set fail save, lasted two flights before a lock out.

Cheers

Kris