Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

problems with my dust

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

problems with my dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:14 AM
dusteater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my dust

well you see, the problem is that at high speeds the dust trims out differently than when at low speeds. it wants to roll right at full throttle. so, i thought that i should change the wing incidence by turning the left wingtip counterclockwise if looking at the tip from the left side and turn the right wingtip clockwise if looking from the right, and of course shriking the covering when they are turned thoes ways. is this right or wrong? i have done it several times and the problem still remains. do i just need to do it more?

i thought i covered it good without warping one side more than the other.
you see, i have a jett fire 50 on it now and before with the tt pro .46 it would not do that, and the only thing i have changed is that it had to be recovered cause the covering blew off(monokote, now ultrakote)
i also put the servos in the wings, and that was about it, so if anyone could help me out that would be great.

thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

mine is the same, but its full throttle all the time so i dont mind holding in a fraction of stick while i land. what your doing is wrong, you'll end up getting nasty tip stalling. get that wing straight again.
now...
your problem is torque roll cause by the beast up front.
program yor tranny to mix throttle to aileron, just a fraction 1-2% or so, then fly, do this till its sorted. things might be a little rolly when you first thorttle up, dont worry about that, dont program it to deal with that, or it'll be too out when it settles down, get the full speed dialed in. this also works if your elevator changes with wrong up or down thrust.
you could also try moving the engine to point.... left i think... a little to give more side thrust
Old 08-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trim

You are probably going at least 30-40 mph faster with the Jett, so if you were in perfect trim at full throttle before the higher speed would negate that. Remember any aircraft is in perfect trim at a specific speed only. Your problem can't be torque, as that would cause a roll to the left, not the right.

Could your elevons possibly have warped? It can happen easily.
If they are try to balance out the warp from one side to the other by setting the elevons so, at least by eyeball, the aerodynamic roll force appears balanced.

Something else to check is your CG. It may not have anything to do with the roll problem but I am guessing you are nose-heavier with the Jett. If this is requiring more up-trim and one elevon is a little more warped than the other, who knows?

Your Dust should be balanced right on the front spar. This will minimize any longitudinal trim changes with thrust change. With the Jett 50 you may need to move your battery pack to just ahead of the rear spar to achieve that balance.

Hope this helps. Once you take care of any warped elevons and set your CG properly you shouldn't have any more problems.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:36 PM
Cactus.

left... DOH! no wonder my planes fly backwards
Old 08-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah, but...

Backwards? That's nothing. I tried trimming trees with mine but found out it wasn't too practical!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Cactus.

yes, but i got away with that type of stuff.
flying my Outlaw from a field that had a large bank leading upto a road with trees siding it. i came in low and heard a slight noise, when i landed i saw i'd clipped the top of a tree and put a tear in the covvering
Old 08-27-2002, 07:54 PM
miderror

Set the engine mount and center T.E. level on a table with half
the wing hanging over the table. Get back and sight the tip. It
should be dead even with the center, use the table edge as
a sight guide. Take the twist out and do the outer panel the same. This has alway fixed the high low roll trim problems. The
trick to end this is build absolutly straight, cover and slowly shrink
the covering evenly and then let is strech and relax. If you have
a twisted frame and take the twist out with the covering it will
alway comeback to haunt you.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:10 PM
dusteater

ill try that guys. also, before when i had the tt pro 46 on there...

the trim of the plane didnt really change from slow speed to full throttle. but now it does even if i fly the jett at speeds the tt could only manage so i dont think its the increased speed. also wouldnt giving it side thrust just cause it to go yaw sideways not roll???