Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

F3D-30 KANGKE ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F3D-30 KANGKE ARF

I bought a used Kange F3D-30 here on RCU it arrived tuesday

Tonight I gutted out the Magic funfly for the engine and radio
installed OS.32SX and MACS muffler to keep dirt/dust out,
but I will have MACS headder and quiet tuned pipe when it comes time to fly
3 of 5 HS-425BB hitec servos aileron servos (2) need special attention.
guidance by Futaba 9CA and PCM Rx

things to do: make rudder control rod ( previous owner fixed rudder straight)
streamline landing gear, get a spinner, sand parting line flash off wings leading edge, and possibly make some wheel pantlets
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84179.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	230843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95804.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	230844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78804.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	230845  
Old 02-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3D-30 KANGKE ARF

Pantlets?

Nice hangar there-- What turbine do you have on the roo?
Old 02-18-2005, 09:41 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Is that the stock landing gear location ? Its been a while since I have seen one of these.

Seems to me its going to bounch like crazy with it that far forward. Maybe keep that in mind.

Maybe down the road, go to lcsperformance.com and get some carbon gear and racing wheels

Enjoy the plane!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:23 AM
splatt

I had one of the those with a SX32. I used a 8.5x7.7 APC and a pointy aluminum spinner. Went a little over 100 MPH.

Made a little whistle sound from the hole the elevator. The landing gear is a little boucy, not bad. Glides forever.

Some people have crammed 40's and racing 40's into them.

Launch it like a racer, full throttle and a quick shove.

I see yeah got lots of planes there, but be careful of the leading edge. It's a composite, if the leading edge splits or leaks air, than maybe boom, or maybe splatt might be the result.

Good luck
Old 02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Pantlets?

Nice hangar there-- What turbine do you have on the roo?
turbine is a RAM 750 autostart
pantlets partial wheel pant the width of the tire and only behind the tire. A freind built a Soneri kit plane and he made pantletts for it.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: splatt

Made a little whistle sound from the hole the elevator. The landing gear is a little boucy, not bad. Glides forever.

Some people have crammed 40's and racing 40's into them.

Launch it like a racer, full throttle and a quick shove.

I see yeah got lots of planes there, but be careful of the leading edge. It's a composite, if the leading edge splits or leaks air, than maybe boom, or maybe splatt might be the result.

Good luck
I have a dubb jett 40 but I wore out my shoehorn getting a Dubb Jett 1.20 into the F-4 Phantom. [:@]

I need to smooth off the flash on the leading edge thats all. I did have to repair the Roo that developed a split along the seam of the fuse at wing root.

to beat the bounce on landing is hold it off, get it down within inches of the runway and then add elevator to hold the flare untill it settles in. Just like my Kangaroo, if you land hot and let the nose drop it will hop.

bob

and the Lancair is for my girlfriend
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Bob, GOOD observation on the landing gear. This is the most "bounciest" plane I've ever flown. In fact, the ONLY time I've ever landed it without it bouncing, is when I flew it in gale force winds. Now, that's the only time I fly it.....when it's blowin' like hell.

Running a ST 45/APC 10x7. What's fun, is.....coming from orbit, with the wind, and doin' a LOW pass!

I don't think I could squeeze any more out of it when I do that. Not my fav, but fun when it get's windy.

The Tequila Sunrise (25), was another plane that was a real friggin' pleasure to land.

Gary
Old 02-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The Tequila Sunrise .25 was probably the worst flying and built airplane I have ever flown...

Flew like a pair of pliers---
Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

The Tequila Sunrise .25 was probably the worst flying and built airplane I have ever flown...

Flew like a pair of pliers---
Oh what to do now ?? I still have a Tequila 25 with a MVVS.28 still unfinished going on 5 years now. Was going to get it done to tag along with its big brother with a OS.50SX under the cowl.

Go flying with two shots of Tequila
Old 02-18-2005, 08:36 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took an MVVS .28 out of one of those to put into another ship. My freind wants me to stuff an MVVS .49 in it.[X(]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:38 PM
vicman

C4F, Where are you flying up there? I know Ribcrackers is getting ready or has lost the field off 10 Mi. The next time I get back home I would like to come see you fly that weston. I grew up in South Lyon BTW.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Crazy4Flight

Viceman,

Ribcrakers still have their 2nd field in New Hudson, only requirement is to have a spotter due to prox of the New Hudson Airport.

I fly at the Flying Pilgrims, joined two years ago for the paved runway, when I got the Roo & RAM750. I may also join PMAC or the Livingston county club.

I was at the UFO thru 2004. I left for several reasons: lack of frequncy control (shot down twice!), some members would not follow field proceedures, they raised the dues, cut the membership cap from 100 to 85. I felt the dues and cap limit was in response to the Ribcrackers 10 mile field closing. Some of the officers stated that they would be over run by outsiders and would be voted out of office and the UFO would lose their identity.

Ironically in model avation dave browns presidents perspective:

Unfortunately, growth isn't a priority for many of our members. In fact, it is opposed by a number of them who view growth as reducing their access to already overtaxed facilities. "Although a few clubs are actively recruiting members in an attempt to grow, some clubs are hampered by too much activity that overwhelms their flying sites. It is becoming an increasing trend for clubs to close their gates and limit their membership to a fixed number.

Ironically, some of those clubs that closed membership and at one time had a waiting list are finding themselves with declining numbers. Often, these rules are driven by a handful of people who are accustomed to the days when they could fly without delay because of others at the field. "

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/0305/president.htm souce for the quote

Bob E.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:12 PM
vicman

I have been trying to help them find a new field but have not been too lucky. There seems to be strange relationship among clubs in that area.[] The next time I get back there I would still like to watch the Weston and the roo.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Crazy4Flight

Viceman,

The magnum has a Dubb Jett Sport .50 and it hauls butt. I bought the airframe from a friend who had an OS .46LA in it. It is the 1st gen UK Magnum. 2nd gen has fibreglass fuselage and better wing/to wing saddle fit.

I will have a new Whiplash soon with a Dubb Jett Sport .50. Right now it is out being airbrushed. I plan on taking it to Toledo. Still flying my Purple Whip with Jett FIRE .50

Some clubs here get too political, me I just want to kick the tires light the fire, turn and burn. Once spring gets here.[&:]
Old 02-18-2005, 11:03 PM
vicman

If you ever get south of the M/D give me a shout I belong to a great club you can go as fast as you can and even burn your kero.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 AM
StregaFlyer

I have one of these ships... Got me a Webra Speed 32 on the front of it.. I run a APC 7.2 X 8.0 QM40 prop.. Have never tached the engine of had it on the radar gun.. It is alot faster than a 424 Q500 with a TT40 on the front.. I just don't like the whistling sound.. It annoys me when I fly it..
Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
bob27s

Interesting enough.....

I managed to run my old Webra 33 heli engine with the QM40 prop last week. Really did perform nice in the test stand. It probably would be a good choice for the Kangke bird.

As for the landing gear, I spoke with an associate who flew one of these. He ended up moving the gear back and mounting it to the fwd mounting area of the wing. Installed dedicated mouunting points (glass/cavasil/epoxy) and used a Q-500 aluminum gear. He said it was still a bit too far fwd, but a whole bunch better.

In general, landing gear location should be pretty close to the aircraft CG. Too far off, and ground handling is gone, and its going to bounce. We ran into some trouble with the Vector 500 design years ago. The gear was fuselage mounted, and the angle I had it at placed it way too far fwd. Ended up going with Doddger gear to move the wheels back as a fix. The current version of the design has the gear back at the LE of the wing. Still a bit fwd, but works outstanding on grass fields, and is still well behaved on pavement. The Pacemaker has the gear right in the sweet spot, and you can change from a grass to paved setup swapping the gear sweep direction.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28851.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	232471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49039.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	232472  
Old 02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
StregaFlyer

I have tore the gear off the F3D about 3 times.. Very good flying airplane.. Bob you might remember me as a teenager racing Q500 and QM40 and having my dad land the airplane.. So you know landing is never my specialty.. Iremember the Vector's landing gear placement very well. My dad built about 15 of them for people and I never once flew one, cause I always liked the way the Conspirator flew.. You still out in Ohio Bob??
Old 02-21-2005, 05:25 PM
bob27s

yeah, live just west of Cleveland.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Crazy4Flight

has anyone moved the tail wheel?

I am thinking of putting a thin tail wheel inside the rudder and have the lower third exposed. this would give me a controllable tailwheel "wheel panted" and out of the slip stream.

a freind had a giant scale funfly with the wheel in the rudder
Old 04-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Crazy4Flight

Flew my F3D-30 twice yesterday...
Fast agile and turns on a dime giving a nickel in change too!
But It needs a very long approach, darn thing just does not want to slow down.
Took of the wing in the landing in the grass

CG near or on rear markat 3"
3-Hs -425BB servos inside the fuse and 2-HS-225s in the wing.

Time to order up some HS-85MG for the throt/elev/rudd to save weight
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Alex Chan

I use HS-85MG in the wing which is a very durable.
I'd crashed more than 10 F3D-30 with the sevro still survival.
Even the servo gear don't damage.
But I suggest a higher torque sevro at elevator, especially during deep dive.

F3D-30 is my turbine trainer, my Draco will be rolled into the sky after some test.