Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:50 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum

I wanted to pass along there is a new Weston distributor in the US, there website is www.westonusa.com Combos are $345.00, I ordered two and recieved them in about two weeks however I received Magnums not MagnumRs. They have a full page ad in Model Airplane News which has a big picture of a magnum and a small picture at the bottom that appears to be an R. I wasn't even aware anything but Rs were made anymore. I'm not new to flying fast airplanes however I've never flown a Magnum it calls for standard servos is this realistic.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:00 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Magnum

Howdy,
I didn't chance it. Went with Hitec 635s w/karbonite gears. Cheap insurance.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 AM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks I have never used standard servos in my speed planes just didn't sound good to me.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Hitec 605's in mine... and I would consider the 605 a strong standard servo...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Chuck !!!

I just got Email from modelbau-USA that they no longer sell the magnum and their price was 375 for the combo, and 195 just for the Magnum R!!!

Weston USA has the Magnum R for 99.95 + S&H Wooo Hooo
Spinner for 10.00 more
Bob Revver #105

and I just order one just in case my original version has a misshap
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 AM
HaveBlue

I really like the Magnum, seems like an awesome combo... seriously pondering this one..although after getting a letter from our customs people regarding my Jett 90l and additional tax I have to pay( geeesh this has turned into an expensive engine..hope its worth it).. I have to give the Magnum some serious thought, but the sounds of that" 200mph possible" sure sounds good!!!

well I guess that saying is true" speed costs money son , how fast do you want to go?"..lol
Old 02-23-2005, 05:13 AM
kmorgan

Hi
I have been flying a standard Magnum with a tuned piped HP40 up front for a number of years. It has a decent turn of speed but nowhere near 200mph, maybe 150/160 at best. Have used Futaba 3001 servos and not seen a problem. Might need something a bit better though if you up the power!

Cheers

Kevin
Old 02-23-2005, 05:24 AM
HaveBlue

when it comes to any serious speed , the lowest servo I use are HS 625mg..I have a fear factor of nylon gears stripping, so I always try to use metal gears, as far as the karbonite goes I have heard of them stripping out , making them only fractionally better than nylon gears... but in some cases metal one strip aswell, so to play it safe I usually go for the highest torque rating I can afford....I'm a firm believer in that you can never have to much power..hehehehe
Old 02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
ossie

Haveblue
Kerry at RC on a Budget will help you out with a Magnum.
I've had a Magnum (check out my gallery) for a bit over 18months now.........great fun.
The West Eurotech is more than enough umph.........
Old 02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

when it comes to any serious speed , the lowest servo I use are HS 625mg..I have a fear factor of nylon gears stripping, so I always try to use metal gears, as far as the karbonite goes I have heard of them stripping out , making them only fractionally better than nylon gears... but in some cases metal one strip aswell, so to play it safe I usually go for the highest torque rating I can afford....I'm a firm believer in that you can never have to much power..hehehehe
Haveblue...
Ask around in the pylon forum: high revving engines and metal gears don't mix... nylon is MUCHOS BETTEROS!

Remember this: as long as things don't flutter, those "whimpy" nylon gears hold up fine... and when things flutter "something" gets destroyed... but usually not the servo gears...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 AM
HaveBlue

I admit my fastest plane would only be doing about 125mph, but until I get a failure I wont use anything but metal gear if I can help it, and the only type of failure Ive had in the servo department is electronic, I ve actually had a computer chip fall out of the casing of a 1/4 scale series servo. I have engines doing around 22,000 rpm although I havent tached this engine it is listed for 29,000 rpm (marine engine spinning an 9X6in my pilot kit bf 109) again no problems with servo gears..do your planes have some vibration problems with high revving engines? the only plane that I use nylon gears is my .52 powered extra and my .40 powered trainer and all my throttle servos are standard servo's so they too would be nylon, but any aileron ,rudder, or elevator servo..metal gears probably not going fast enough yet to worry about flutter , backlash or any vibration problems

I can understand the pylon guys using them ,but I dont like like servo's under 6kg torque rating , and all the ones above this say like 8kg use metal gears( although you can get karbonite or nylon in these and higher ratings)... like I said until I get a failure I'll use metal gear and I use hitech dont forget.. many people are nervous about hitech servos according to some of the forum threads
Old 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM
VoodooRay

My Magnum R with West V1 only uses 3001. The control surface throws are almost neglible and so then are the stresses placed on the servos. Only ever used nylon gears on my speed planes and only ever crashed 'cos the gaps I try to fit through aren't big enough for the plane...[>:]
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Crazy4Flight

Chuck,

right now he has the original magnum for sale WAIT till thr new R version comes in.

Bob #105
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM
drnickm

i just finished a Magnum. power is a sport jett 50. Too much snow and wind to try it yet. Any problem with hand launch. I had some interesting experiences with a D Dust on take off.

Nick
Old 03-10-2005, 10:58 AM
drnickm

i just finished a Magnum. power is a sport jett 50. Too much snow and wind to try it yet. Any problem with hand launch. I had some interesting experiences with a D Dust on take off.

Nick
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Rudeboy

If you have problems with launching a Diamond Dust... then hold on to your knickers with the Magnum!
Get someone that can properly throw a plane, and have him throw it slightly upwards (20-30 degree angle). On the other hand, with the Jett .50 you'll be using 9 inch prop, so you'll have enough thrust to launch it vertically... the bigger props will make life easier for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Nick,

Take a look back at this thread. Nice video posted of a Magnum showing the launch and stuff. Its not too big of a deal.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2716222

Definatly not something you want to self-launch.

Good hard toss, slightly nose up.... it will fly away pretty clean.

Bob
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Crazy4Flight

have a buddy launch it for you left wing up a bit it will torque-roll to the left and you have no rudder to hold against the P-factor and reactionary torque
Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Andology

My Magnum was my favourite plane of all that i have built / owned. I sold it at a show in the UK before leaving for Thailand to start my company (sold all my stuff - gutted).. I used to hand launch my Magnum myself, no problem at all. I had mine around 5 years ago when it came in kit form. I sanded the wing section down to about 3mm at LE and around 2mm at TE with around 5mm at spar area (wing back then was made up from 4 sections of ¼” balsa sheet glued together and shaped).
My Magnum used to take out all others at the clubs / shows. I used a high torque mini servo for the ailerons and a high torque mini servo for the elevator with a micro servo on the throttle. I had a magnum engine (.46) which was ported and tuned by Weston UK using a custom pipe also from Weston UK – I tried various props and settled with an APC 8x9 - it rocked!!! i easy had over 200mph out of it and out of around 12 planes, that was the one that was always in my car every flying day without fail. For had launch on my own i set up flaps on my tranni mixers which set the elevator to around 50% (just a flick of a switch), threw the throttle stick to max, held the nose area fore of the wing with my left hand and griped the back of the fuse with my right hand and basically threw it at about a 45 degree angle upwards.. With the flaps set (elevator up 50%) i had enough time to get my hands on the sticks for controlled accent (neck strap needed obviously .

Cheers

And