Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Need for speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 02:28 AM
flyboy_1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need for speed

I'm looking to finish off my Dominator with an engine that will take the plane to the 150+ mph range. I live in Utah at an elevation of 4300'. I'm looking at either the Jett or Nelson engines. If money was not an issue, what engine would fit my needs. If not either of these, then who.

I currently run Cool Power Heli 30 in everything I fly. Do you suggest this fuel in a higher performance engine?

I have no plans to race in any official races. My plan is to have the Dominator weigh in close to the 3 lb mark. I'm utilizing every weight lose technic I know and purchasing the lightest component available for each part.

Thanks in advance for any info.

JJ
Old 09-27-2002, 05:02 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Need for speed

go to:

www.jettengineering.com

Click on Hangar Specials.

He has the Sport-Jett .46 on special for $220

This will take you just over 150 mph, maybe 160 under the right conditions (Temp, Weather, humidity, and pressure).

You could also look at the Neslon 40, but you will not see much of a performance difference for the extra $150.

Both of these engines are made to run on 15% Nitro fuel. I would not recommend running anything else. Either Omega, or Powermaster would be my recommendation. Make sure you have some castor (not all synthetic oil).
Old 09-28-2002, 12:29 AM
flyboy_1963

Default Jett Engine

I spoke with Dub today and he suggested the Jett Fire 50 with a tuned pipe. He said this might take my plane to 170mph depending on construction and weather.

What do you know about the Jett Fire engines?

JJ
Old 09-28-2002, 12:45 AM
daven

Default Need for speed

I don't know anything about the Jett Fire Engines. I do know the sport .46 is a great engine, at a very good price (In comparison).

It has an idleable carb (that actually allows it to idle) and puts out great power.

This engine could be run in both Fast planes, and / or sport planes. They are beutifully built, and will last a long time if taken care of.

Its tough to beat the price, and it will get you to 150 mph.

170 mph is very tough to do in a quickee. That is very close to the fastest quickee I have ever seen with a Nelson .40. Also, you are talking about a wood/foam quickee, and not a composite.

Lastly, if you have alot of experience with these types of engines, the fire may be the way to go. If this will be your first "extreme speed" plane, I would suggest the Sport Jett. You will have a much easier time learning how to set the needle and choosing the proper props. At the same time, allowing you to throttle back if the speed is too great, or the plane is outta trim.

Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:47 AM
daven

Default One more thing

If you have questions about the Jett Fire, check in the Engine Manufacturing support forum on RCU.

There is a sub-forum for Jett engines, and you will get any answer you need there from Bob B.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:35 AM
flyboy_1963

Default Jumping in with both feet

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Jett Fire 50 with tuned pipe. I also just ordered the Whiplash X.

My plan is to break into fast planes with the dominator. Once I get use to 150 mph, then install the Jett Fire 50 on the Whiplash. I hope flying at 4300' doesn't slow things down tooooo much.

JJ
Old 09-28-2002, 02:28 AM
AQ500

Default Need for speed

Flyboy.....

I beleive we may have met, Logan on Labor day. I had my Dominator with the Rossi and the Predator with the "Quickeefied" Jett 50 on it that day. I have flown the plane down in St. George in 65 degree weather. The plane was probably 20 mph faster down there. I had to step down 3/4 of an inch in diameter to run the same RPM at our altitude and temp. It should be fairly fast with the Fire on it.

Soon you'll be saying to yourself, "Is the plane slowing down, or am I getting used to the speed?"
Old 09-29-2002, 03:07 AM
flyboy_1963

Default Dominator

Yes, we did meet. I was the one asking you a ton of questions. Well you inspired me to take the plung and build a fast plan. I've got the fuse almost done. I'm covering the v-tail before I attach it. I've got everything to finish the plane, just waiting for the engine to arrive.

I'll let you know more as the project nears completion.