Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Shrike Landing gear ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike Landing gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrike Landing gear ?

I am considering building a Shrike .40. It will be my first hand launched plane. I have researched using Dollies for lauch and I am not really wanting to go that route. Has anyone ever put trike gear on one. If so, I would like to see or hear from you, thanks.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Shrike Landing gear ?

Don't see anyone jummping in here? Few years ago, got tired of scraping up my shrike landing on a paved runway. Did the obvious thing and installed standard layout gear. ROG was ok, flew a little strangely, but ok. Thing was, top end speed was cut way down to a unacceptable levil. Next attempt, used a front center racing wheel with a standoff wire at each wing tip. Speed increased, ease of takeoff and landing acceptable. Seems like the best way to go overall. To keep things pure and speed up, leave landing gear off. Build a launch ramp from PVC pipe about 3-4 feet long, angeled up about 40%. Keep plenty of clearance between rails, and release streight. Saw one on line that used a carbon fiber rod centered within the airframe, and another smaller rod fixed to the launch frame, a quick release foot actuated. Seems like a lot of R & D work, but beats having scars on the top of your head. I refuse to hand launch these things at this stage of life as a result of some bad experiences both as plot and launcher. Anything that can go worng will go wrong. Retracts would be the best overall, but the airframe is much to small to stand the weight without affectling performance. What ever you do, handle this thing with same care as a loaded gun. First trim flight is usually real scarry, at least for me. It all this worth it? Yea, I think it is, but examine the source. Im my case, a truly carazy old man.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

You might try a search as this subject has been covered in the recent past. I have read about fixed gear and retracts on a Shrike 40 but personally would not give up the performance. A push into the wind with the nose up some is all that is needed for takeoff. Landing in the grass is a must to avoid serious damage.

Shrike launch - Some use a launch dolly but I use a launch doll.
http://members.cox.net/mdconnor/shriketo.mpg
More pictures and videos on my site.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A short list of reasons why hand launches are sloppy, or don't work.

1. Not enough power

2. Plane is too heavy

3. Controls and CG are set up too squirrelly for stable flight

4. Controls are set too low for adequate low speed handling, but then again, if items #1 & #2 are up to standards, low speed handling problems go away.

5. Launch angle is too steep, but then again, if items #1 & #2 are up to standards.......

6. Launch isn't dead on, straight into the wind, but then again, if items #1 & #2 are up to standards......

7. Selected low diameter / high pitch speed prop isn't producing enough thrust, time to either throw the plane harder or go with a catapult launch
Old 06-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Kaos1

Wheels and wires equals drag. Speed will suffer. But you can do touch and gos if you want. I installed a steerable nose wheel on this one with a pair of mains. It's nice to be able to taxi and take off from a distance but if you want all out speed, consider other options.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48781.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	280800  
Old 06-05-2005, 08:15 PM
RCDON
My Feedback: (8)

Hello, I had installed mechanical retracts on my 40 size shrike and love it. I am not sure if the speed was influenced but it was clocked at 115 mph with a 46FX (that may be slow ?) I love my shrike and buzz the field when I can. I installed the Hobbico Mech. Retracts when I built the model. I had to install 4 new plywood ribs in the wing with hardwood rails to hold the mains. The nose gear was a bit harder and mounted just behind the fire wall. The gear is controlled by one retract servo and a "cross-over" style z-bend control linkage. I can send some basic photos to whoever is interested. I just recently filmed an on-board video of my shrike. Check it out if you like:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/the_shrike-cam.html

The video shows the gear in operation briefly.....

Cheers,

Don G.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Dk4stroke
My Feedback: (3)

Don,

I would be interested in seeing those retracts and your installation and location.
I will be starting my Shrike this winter and would like to pre-plan my retract installation.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 PM
RCDON
My Feedback: (8)

Hello Dk4stroke, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you some basic info.

Cheers,

Don G.