Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
jetpilotrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

I just began working on my new CERMARK F-16. I figured we needed a good build thread for it.... there seems to be lots of interest in this plane! There is not to much to building it but, like any ARF, there always seem to be better ways of doing things or things to watch out for. I have already noted several really good and some not so great things that we can all compare notes and ideas on so we can get our planes to fly better!

It is nice to see that there seems to be a whole slew of next generation prop-jet type airplanes becoming available in both "KIT" and "ARF" formats that are of an excellent quality. The best part is they perform well and do not cost $10,000 per copy as a turbine model can cost!

I am looking foward to this ARF... I just finished my AKM SU-27 "FLANKER" prop-jet ( http://akmodels.bizland.com/ for those interested ) ... which is probably the nicest prop-jet kit around but, it is a kit... This F-16 should make for some good instant gratification! The quality looks fantastic!

All are welcome to get in on this thread especially all the prop-jet people out there!

To start things out I have posted a few pics of the layout of parts and a Flanker pic or two from the AKM SU-27 build thread.

Thats all for now!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80931.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	285437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11958.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	285438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77024.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	285439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15140.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	285440  
Old 06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Rich, good choice! I plan on ordering one next week....

will follow your build with interest!

what engine you will put on the nose? mine will have a MVVS .91 with a short pipe (have to see the fit when I get the plane)

BTW, make sure you reed some comments on the supplied retracts! I won't be using those for sure, putting in a set of pneumatic B&D, others have used Spring Airs.

Anyway, lets build this jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:37 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I have had no problems so far. I am installing the gear (air) tonight. All of this with no instructions. I have heard several people getting one with the gear included. I received no gear with mine as it says on their website, the gear sold seperately. I posted some pics in my gallery.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:55 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, Rich.

Wish I still had money.

Don
Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Blade47

You do DON but it is all in box's in a garage in Redding right?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: Blade47

You do DON but it is all in box's in a garage in Redding right?
Nahh, it's all on my new wife's finger and in her closet...LOL!!!

(okay, yeah, it's in the garage too.)

Don
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

This should be a fun thread..... just signing up
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Blade47

Bob27 a Q for you? Will one of your mufflers fit the Evo 1.00NX? The muffler bolt spacing is 42 and the bolts pass through the muffler and screw into the motor head case.

the weight is 5.3 oz and I would like to get a lighter one...along with any other benefits
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Blade47

Bob27 a Q for you? Will one of your mufflers fit the Evo 1.00NX? The muffler bolt spacing is 42 and the bolts pass through the muffler and screw into the motor head case.

the weight is 5.3 oz and I would like to get a lighter one...along with any other benefits
Blade,

Sure...... the JS-90 muffler will work great. The 42 mm bolt-on is possible with the use of an adapter piece. Just specify the Evo100 and the JS-90 muffler when ordering. The ASP/Magnum .75 and 1.20 have the same bolt-on 42mm configuration.

Jett Stream JS-90 muffler weighs about 180 grams......... that's around 6oz. Not sure there is help in the weight department.

Bob

(note ..... the 90LX muffler weights about 1/2oz less, and is smaller, but you would have to prop the engine to run up at least 14K rpm on the ground)
Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Blade47

Thanks for the info Bob ...will think about trying one on the EVO
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Rich

Nice photos of ur new F 16 from Cermark.

I had that green retract gear on my F20 it wiggled a bit more then I cared for. However I noticed they sell something called
Custom Aluminum Retracts anyone seen these?

What motor u going to put in her?

Will the Jet 90 fit and do u think the Airframe could handle 130mph?

She does look like a good speed-plane candidate.

Ian

Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Can you please let me know where to get this plane , every time I try to find a website i get all the RCU or other RC webs but nothing on cermark , thanks . [&o]
Old 06-17-2005, 07:16 AM
hattend

ORIGINAL: LDM

Can you please let me know where to get this plane , every time I try to find a website i get all the RCU or other RC webs but nothing on cermark , thanks . [&o]
http://www.cermark.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=AAA

Don
Old 06-17-2005, 07:07 PM
LDM

thanks Don
Old 06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

what is the auw of this ?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:46 AM
LDM

Any reports on the retracts from Cermark ??? ARe they a brand , spring air ,Robart ect ?
Thanks , this plane looks very very nice . Quality seems high from the pics .
Rich , that SU27 alos looks fantastic , I was amazed that the kit only listed out around $125 , really cheap considering the looks of the lasor cutting and quality . I may just build one and Buy this F 16 , wifey and the kids are getting tired of seeing me fly all the ww2 planes
Old 06-18-2005, 11:04 AM
jetpilotrich

I fly the old Cermark F-16 a lot. The gear is the same basic set EXCEPT.... it is completely re-designed..... all the parts that were plastic are now machined aluminum and the wires were upgraded to a 5mm or 3/16" wire! It appears to be a very soild gear set! Many people with the old style mechanical gear will want this set... I think Cermark may have an opportunity to sell this gear set independent of the F-16 kit for those tho are tired of working with the same old "Junky" mechanical systems of the past.

The new gear also comes with a nice set of aluminum hub wheels.

I will be working on a single-servo gear setup to see if I can make it work! I guess Cermark had problems with getting it to function properly.. they decided to use 3 servos instead which will work great... but adds alot of weight!

For anyone who wants that SU-27... just tell alex at AKM I sent you and he will give you a FREE set of the laser cut stickers that go with the kit if you order the SU-27!

For the F-16 here is the link: http://www.cermark.com/

I will be using A Jett 90L ... would not think of using anything else!

There is some drag from the front scoop but otherwise the plane is very clean... I could be potentially very fast.... the best part about it is the "flying Tail" or "Stabilator". Back in the 1940's when the sound barrier was broken the "Flying Tail" was the single design element which made supersonic flight possible... most turbine planes have them due to the speed. It should be way less prone to flutter. Most planes flutter in the tail... and this plane has a nice tail setup!

Also the rudder linkage is very direct and short.... thus also way less prone to flutter... I think this plane may really cook!

Will post some pictures of construction soon! fere are a few pics!

Rich

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16368.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	286633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55540.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	286634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34549.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	286635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34310.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	286636  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: LDM

Any reports on the retracts from Cermark ??? ARe they a brand , spring air ,Robart ect ?
Thanks , this plane looks very very nice . Quality seems high from the pics .
Rich , that SU27 alos looks fantastic , I was amazed that the kit only listed out around $125 , really cheap considering the looks of the lasor cutting and quality . I may just build one and Buy this F 16 , wifey and the kids are getting tired of seeing me fly all the ww2 planes
LDM...

From what I have seen of the F-16 (one local built one, plus the one at the Toledo show) its a real nice plane. The mechanical gear (upgraded) are VERY nice looking. More like the MK pattern gear from a few years back than 'cheap' hobbico gear - VERY well constructed and appear to include 'real' steel struts. The 3-servo thing is probably the only concern - it is for the most part impossible to get them all to work from a common servo, or even just two servos. Spring-Airs or the new robart 'cloes' would be good alternates. All up weight of the bird ..... expect over 9 lbs. Its a big plane. But it has a lot of wing area - weight is not a big issue.

The AKM kits are outstanding. Well designed, cutting is real nice. Alex produces some good products. Some good thread info here in RCU to follow for the SU-27 and also for the Mig.

Bob
Old 06-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I may have to get one of these too. Rich - on the SU-27 - have you thought about using 2 rudder servos to get rid of the transverse connector rod and make the hook up more solid? G.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:27 PM
jetpilotrich

The rod is not the problem. I used a 4-40 commecting rod. All the play is in the flexing of the touque rod. A 2 thicker torque rods in the rudders or a more direct linkage system would solve the problem!

Rich
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM
lear31A

I have the main gear installed. The springairs are a nice fit. I am installing the Robart air kit (tank/valve) tonight. I am now racking my brain to figure out how to bend the wire legs. I will post more pics as well.

BTW: Anyone know where to buy some 3/16 wire struts only? Tower only has 5/32???
Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 PM
lear31A

Never mind, I found it. Tower has it in 36" music wire catagory.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:39 AM
msweeten

I built the new F-16 with the custom retracts. At first you think sure I can make this work with one servo. The Problem is that the gear retract forward against the air stream. I put three standard servos in( I thought if one retract servo at 94 oz will do it then two 46 oz servos should be fine). On the ground the gear went up and down with authority. Once in the air the plane picks up speed fast. I hit the retracts and only the nose wheel went up. You need to use two retract servos and a standard servo to make them work. The retracts themselves are pretty good. You do need to work them a little to make the work smoth. take a small file and get rid of any small burs. next I greased the friction points of the retracts. Lastly make sure all of the screws are tight and use lock-tite to make sure they stay that way. If you don't mind the three servos the custom retracts work well. On take off and landing the plane tracks well. I am useing the jet 90L and the upgrade retracts from Cermark and my plane is just at 10lbs. The plane floats in on landing. I set up mine to use flaperons but have not tried them yet. The only bummer is that my club informed me that they have a 100 db sound limit so I can't fly my plane with the standard tuned pipe from Jett I will have to use a MACs quiet pipe. I don't know how much HP i will lose? I do know it will make my wallet about $160 lighter. I think I will try over proping on the ground and hope it unloads in the air. I know this will not quite make the 100 db limit but should be closer and I will just have to fly on off days not to draw attention to myself. Any way good flying

Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
jetpilotrich

To bad you cant use the JETT. It makes all the difference!

Rich
Old 06-19-2005, 05:43 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I do not understand the Cermark 3 servo retracts philosophy... with the cost +3 servos, one can buy air retracts with all the bells & whistles! I am sure it's lighter& easier to install...

Why do the hustle? it seems like a no-brainer to me![X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.