Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Dust control throws

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Dust control throws

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dust control throws

I know I have the info somewhere and I'm 99.9% I set it up already, but I'd rather be safe than picking up sticks because I was lazy. I built my Dust last year and I think I set it all up but have been too busy with my pattern stuff to fly it.

Now I hoping to maiden it this weekend and can't remember if I set the throws on the elevons or not. So to that end. What should I be shooting for on High and Low rates? I have 50% expo cranked in but need to make sure the physical throws of the surfaces are right.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dust control throws

The instructions say a good starting point is 3/8" up and down for ailerons and 1/4" for elevator both up and down. 3/8" for the elevator if you have a forward CG. They also suggest 100% expo for the ailerons and 60% on the elevator. The radio in my first Dust did not have expo. A little touchy but not too bad.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
petec

Cool...that's what I needed.....Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:11 PM
mathyoo

Those settings should be low rates, with as much as you can get for high rates, bevel the ends of the elevons in 1/2 inch to prevent flutter, and balance it on the middle spar. It may sound a little much but it flys perfectly with this set up.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:23 PM
petec

Mine balances just ahead of the spar, but it has a Rossi 40 on it. I'll make sure those are the low rate throws. I guess I could stick a piece of lead on the tail but I HATE to do that.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM
petec

Just wanted to say thanks to all the responses and PMs...I have the throws set up now and will get her up in the air this weekend FINALLY.......I'm taking it to the field with me every time I go for pattern practice until I get her up. The self launching is scary but if my one pattern buddy comes out we will get her up and away for sure.

Thanks again all.

Pete
Old 09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Launching a Dust is a non event... certainly with .40 power... just point it up 45°, cant the airframe slightly to the right to counteract the torque roll (it's really not that bad, but a little goes a long way), add throttle, and let go. It will just shoot away in the direction you release it.

On my Dust I had time to wipe off my greasy right hand on my pants between releasing the plane and going for the stick, and that one only had a Webra.32 and an APC 8x8 for power... not exactly monster power...
Old 09-02-2005, 11:23 PM
petec

!/4...1/3...or 1/2...throttle? I'm right handed!!!!! I put a .25 on a Zagi once and it was BRUTAL...I guess I'l try the old Trial and Error until I get it right.

BTW - Rudeboy....love your avitar...reminds me of a lot of my friend back in the 80's.......
Old 09-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

petec,

I usually used full throttle and a helper to launch. With a Jett 50 I needed 2 oz. of lead to balance on the spar. It still came out to 2 lbs. 12 oz without fuel and it flew better at the aft CG. Short launch video.

www.members.cox.net/mdconnor/dd2launch.mpg
Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
petec

I put the maiden flight on her today and WOW...need more Expo but she's still in one piece excepth for a hole in the covering on the bottom from landing. The field I fly at is hard pack...no grass. I had a helper to launch and used better than 1/2 throttle on launch....should not use that much as things happened really fast.

I think a launching stand might be in order or I need to figure out the self launch technique. I can say that I will be building a few more DDs in the near future.