Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How fast???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
3DMON
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast???

I saw something a while ago in the back of one of my mags that showed a card like device you could use to tell how fast a plane was traveling. It also showed a bigger version that could be set up on the flight line, I think. It was used by calculating time to distance to see how fast a model is going.

Does anyone know what and where this is?

I can't find it now.

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 11-06-2005, 11:01 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: How fast???

im not sure exactly what that might be if its a time/speed/distance calculator.

The only devices I know of to get decent speed measurements are radar guns and on-board air data recorders.

Bob
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Nashcat
My Feedback: (1)

I saw some info on calculating speed using a sound recording of the engine as it passed by a microphone. You could record the sound on your computer and the program would calculate the speed by using the Doppler effect. I can't seem to find the info now that I have a use for it.

Nashcat
Old 11-06-2005, 09:25 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Nashcat

I saw some info on calculating speed using a sound recording of the engine as it passed by a microphone. You could record the sound on your computer and the program would calculate the speed by using the Doppler effect. I can't seem to find the info now that I have a use for it.

Nashcat
I didn't read through the entire article, but this sounds similar: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~hughan/speed.htm
Old 11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
3DMON
My Feedback: (39)

I think this is interesting, but what I was referring to was a very simple card that you look through. I remember seeing it in one of my magazines but just can't find it. Was just hoping someone here would have known exactly what it was.

Thanks,
Shaun