Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rare Bear

Hey what do you guys think of the thunder tiger Rare Bear? I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for a Jett .90. What say ye?
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4571.htm
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rare Bear

The Jett 90L will work in there, but you have to configure it with a turbo-jett muffler and use a 13" prop.

I know of one flying right now with the SJ-90L and turbo. Guy enjoys flying it, flys quickly - its not a rocket, but has pleanty of performance.

Better solution is the jett bse-120, turbojett, and 14x10 prop.

There is a huge thread on the bear in the ARF section. Take time to scan it.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Wow- just went through those 47 pages of shame in the ARF section. I definately will not be purchasing the Bear. Thanks anyways.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen a Rare Bear sitting at the hobby shop here for months, always wondered why it wasn't going anywhere.

BTW, War Damn Eagle! (class of '02)
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I think you need to go to the ARF section and catch up this thing. The overall opinion of the plane is if your set on getting it, then dont' bother assembling it. Just put the new Jett 90 in the box along with all the radio gear , place it in the drive way and run over the whole thing a few times and get it over with. This will save you much aggravation in the long run.-Seriously

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

Hey what do you guys think of the thunder tiger Rare Bear? I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for a Jett .90. What say ye?
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4571.htm
Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Skull Man

Three rare bears lost at our field this summer...all had horz. stab failure! They are now history.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Lomcevak Duck

That's a real shame. Not just that such a beautiful plane has a flaw, but that Thunder Tiger doesn't care. Because of reading these reports of poor customer service I will probably never buy another TT product again. How disgraceful.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Camster
My Feedback: (59)

We had a guy at our field that did a bunch of reinforcement to the tail feathers. He was running a OS 1.60FX. Needless to say, way too much power and elevator fluttered and the rest is history.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:24 AM
ossie

Don't believe everything you read......ain't it interesting how the same names keep appearing.......
For me the tailplane on the RB if assembled correctly is more than adequate. If you go back through the RB threads you'll see where I contributed, all positive.

Mines fitting with a ST 2300, the model is still as strong as every.

The RB looks and flys great. Follow the instructions carefully with attention to detail and you wont be disappointed...
In the front pages of the manual it does say "Not for beginners"

Cheers

Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 AM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Ossie, any chance you can tell me distance from firewall front to prop driver on Rare Bear please? I am looking at putting on OS FS120 SP in something, but it needs ~175mm from mount face to prop driver. Its almost certainly less than this - how hard would you rate shortening the mount box to suit this size?
Thanks,
jp
Old 12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
ossie

G'day,
Not home at present. Will let you know exactly when I return, should be in a couple of weeks.
From memory though the distance from the engine mounting plate (built up firewall) to the engine drive washer is somewhere around 150mm.
Moving the firewall rearward would be quite easy to do, just reposition the slots in the side frames. However some thought would be needed in a couple of areas, for instance, the lightening holes in the side frames would need filling in at the front, a bit of redesigning for the fuel tank (reduced area between the firewall and the wing spar) and keep in mind this model needs a fair bit of weight up front, the main reason I opted for the ST 2300.
Cheers
Old 12-27-2005, 06:00 PM
jp928

Ossie, thanks for the reply. Based on other ARFs of this type I thought they might use the same keyed ply arrangement.
I am looking at OS FS120 SP (supercharged) so there is no lack of weight, when fitted with OS cast alloy mount system. Other problem is the mount needs at least a 90mm base, preferably 100mm square to allow for T nuts in the rear, and maybe more horizontally if the mount has to be offset for right thrust....if you could post the firewall size too it would be a help.
The engine is currently (not quite fully run in) pulling a 12lb (5kg+) 68" test bed stik around quite fast at 1/2 throttle with a 14x10, so I dont think power is an issue. A little concerned that a radial type cowl may not be best for small diameter/high pitch props, and the SP doesnt seem to like the larger diameter props - OS say they have never tested them! I beefed up the firewall on the stik for 4 stroke weights and loads, so anticipate doing something like that,.

thanks,
jp
Old 03-09-2006, 08:22 PM
jp928

FWIW I am not going this route, having seen one in the flesh. A friend bought a used one off ebay recnetly. Stab was not parallel to wing, so it had to come off the be fixed. Being in the radiography business, he xrayed the tail at work - guess why they sometimes lose the stab? The carbon tube spar, once inserted into one stab, glued and then pushed through fuselage and into other stab half, doesnt reach the next rib out from the root!! Its only attached to the root rib, which means that stab half will flex on the glued fuselage surface, and eventually will break it away....He is getting a length of arrow shaft in CF and making a proper length spar for it.

I have put the OS 120 SP in a CMpro Giles 202 140 size, and it flies great!

jp
Old 03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The OS FS 120 SP in a Rare Bear!?
Sorry but that engine is just a show piece .
Ran one many years ago and tested if for a Swedish model magazine and it was just not up to OS usually high standards. The main problem was it's need for much nitro (15-20%)and it's poor throttling ability and over all poor reliablility.
It's not a hard too see why OS stopped production after just a couple of years.
Sorry!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden