Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

tigershark *vs* magnumR

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

tigershark *vs* magnumR

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:27 AM
hooliganflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tigershark *vs* magnumR

Hi everyone, westonUK advertises the magumR beeing able to hit 200mph and the tigershark to be able to hit 150mph. I am completely confused I would have thought that the tigershark could go much faster because it is a flat wing delta, while the magum has an airfoild wind and tailplane (a lot more drag) can someone please tell me why the magnum is faster? also to people who own tigersharks, how fast have yours gone?

Regards
Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: tigershark *vs* magnumR

A flat plate has in fact more drag than a properly profiled wing...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:46 AM
hooliganflyer

[X(] really?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:34 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hooligan:

The Weston UK has a thin wing generally designed for speed as are the tailfeathers and fuse. The Tigershark is limited in speed by the thickness of the airfoil whick creates a lot of drag and lift. If you looked at the Bruce Tharp wing against a whiplash, you would see the whiplash has about 1/3 the thickness of the Tharp wing design. The whiplash will scoot, takes a experienced pilot, the Tharp wing is a very good docile flyer, almost a trainner. To create a quick airplane, the entire airframe needs to be streemlined with all drag areas kept to a minimum. Take the F-16-F-20 arfs. Sleek, neat and should be fast based on overall design. They do scoot a little better than a sport plane, but generally have one flaw, the tailfeathers. The blunt tailcone engine simulation is almost like carrying a drag shute arround. The fixed gear is a large factor in itself. Clean them up and there is more speed available. Had a Jett 90L in a Cemark F-20, flew well, landed well, did not scoot. Did not retract it as I did not think that by itself would give me what I wanted (a whole bunch). The fuse sits in the attic, the wing is on my wing rack waiting for me to get off the stick and create a package that will do the job. If things keep going as they are, it will be late summer before I get serious about scratch building something like the Weston UK, power is in the cabinet, a YS re-piped 60. Should be interesting if it will get off the ground. The real question is "will it turn", another aero-dynamic problem you get when designing for speed with swept back wings. Oh woe, where is the great one? ENJOY