Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

HS-55 for throttle?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

HS-55 for throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:55 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HS-55 for throttle?

Hey guys,
Just trying to finish up a GP Viper with 46FX and wondering if the HS-55 is normally used for throttle on these planes. I've only used them on foamies and have a couple laying around. A standard servo will be a little more work/weight and since my battery is more foward than the suggested space, it might be nose heavy. Thanks.

Marty
Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HS-55 for throttle?

I usually use the HS-81 for throttle on my planes including my 2 meter pattern bird. If the 55 will do the job and you have it, why not use it.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The concern I'd have with the HS-55 is not the torque, which is enough for any decent throttle setup, but it's intolerance to vibration and shock loads. It's not hard to strip gears on those guys, but if the motor is running smoothly, nicely balanced prop and all that, it's probably okay. But keep an eye on it. Someone here posted recently that their HS55 had stripped on throttle duty and they were forced to fly out the tank at full bore. Luckily anyone in this forum likely is used to that anyhow..

MJD
Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldn't use it, too much vibration.

Hitec 80,81, or 85 would be a better choice.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks guys. I might just go back to using the standard as I checked the balance and she's tail heavy. Will move battery foward and then see where it ends up. Right now with HS-55 inside, it's at 3lbs 15oz. and needs about 1 1/2 oz in the nose to balance.

Marty