Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

World Record RC Plane Speed?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

World Record RC Plane Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Record RC Plane Speed?

ORIGINAL: teamfutaba

troy-rcu, not to burst your non-believing bubble but i was there, in france, at the worlds and 220 mph is not only duable but common. no dives just 10 clean laps, level flight, no nitro, mb motors turning 6.5 diameter x 8" props. 34+ thousand rpm's. more common were the 218 mph laps. oh yeah that was exiting turn 3 where we were gunning from. straight-away speeds were a higher but we didnt have the oppertunity to go out there and stand behind turn 2 to see what they were. fai legal F5D planes are nowhere as fast as F3D planes. 180 mph in F5D is world class speed, but there getting there. just my 2 cents. RR
I will humbly concede to your findings as it's the first "real" account I've heard. The numbers I have are from Travis and Fred B.'s radar readings from one of their recent measurements. I believed them to be current and realistic considering lap times. I realize you didn't get any readings coming from #1 in France but do you know how much speed is scrubbed coming out of #1 (in F3D).
Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Troy-RCU

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU
I met a gentleman at the Revvers function whose F5D was radared at 205MPH a couple weeks ago-
It was Mark's electrified Stiletto F3D which was radared at 205.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I like the part when some of the club members duck behind the frequency board
Old 06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
daven

Thanks for the info Rocket, they are moving faster now than what I have seen in Florida and Phoenix. Glad to hear, now I'm real tempted

Bob, is Dubb making a FAI motor? I think I saw one on the website, but have never seen one.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob27s

I like the part when some of the club members duck behind the frequency board
Esp. when I'm already hiding there myself.. [X(] "Where did it go now??"
Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: daven

Thanks for the info Rocket, they are moving faster now than what I have seen in Florida and Phoenix. Glad to hear, now I'm real tempted

Bob, is Dubb making a FAI motor? I think I saw one on the website, but have never seen one.

It is something we refer to as the FAI Practice Engine. Nothing Dub makes currently can go head-to-head with the MB and Henry's finest (that takes a lot of R&D time)

He has had this for a while - it is basically a rear exhaust QM40 engine, with some tweeks to get more rpm out of it and to run on FAI fuel when needed. The QM40 APC props work well. The Nelson, Dechastel or a Jett pipe is offered, as desired. He even offers this with a carb for those wishing to throttle back a bit A few of these sell each year. Mainly to guys in Europe for some reason. If i recall, they run around $350 (about the same as the other race engines)
Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ray, interesting numbers. Guess I'm the skeptic here. 218 mph is better than 97 meters/sec. With a course length of 4000 meters, times should be better than 57 seconds. Perhaps you were reading a bit of a down wind run pushing the speed higher. And didn't Fred win an event over there with slower numbers?????
Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
garys

At the recent F3D race in the Czech Republic, a couple of guys were radared at over 340km/hour on the course, and I've heard of 350+. Generally, those getting the highest speeds aren't they guys turning the best times (those with higher speeds may be flying a longer course, climbing/diving, ect), but that's why we use stopwatches and not radar guns.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
mroos

The first F3D contest in Germany this year, and the eurocup last year in Quedlinburg showed speeds of up to 345 km/h (216mph) coming from #1. I stood next to the radar gun. As far as i know MB made some improvements, so this and a long level flight should make a 350 km/h flight possible. But that's only with the really really top material. There are also some differences from MB40 to MB40. It's common that there are F3D planes doing "only" 310 km/h or 320 km/h etc., some equiped with older engines or less efficient props.

But, that 6,5ccm sized engines, limited by the F3D reglment will have no change againest a 15ccm engine which does have 2,3 times the Capacity (volume). When those engines will show up there true performance the records will be set by them at the next speedcup. But the 15ccm engines is something special for the german speedcup. FAI records can only be set by 10ccm engines. And there will be more than one 10ccm engine also at the speedcup.

F5D planes also 'suffer' from there Rglement (number of cells limited). So comparing racing classes just doesn't make sense. If you want to set a record in terms of speed (FAI reglment) a whole new setup has to be done. Engine, Plane, prop. everything. Adapting a MB40 is just an easy way of getting good, but not the maximum results.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
DrRider-X

i seen one hit over 250mph man that was fast that's my friend has a plane like that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-DtoKyYS4
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT-DtoKyYS4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT-DtoKyYS4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
http://f1.putfile.com/videos/c9-26114530815.mpg