Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Too much paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 08:01 PM
S3HD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much paint

Got my Whiplash back from the paintshop, it is beautiful, -
- no, it is just absolutely gorgeous.

Sorry don't have a way to post pix. Will try to get some on here soon. The top is Ford Metallic Pearl Torch Red - matches the BSE Jett 50 FIRE anodized Carb, and the bottom is a Bright Metal Flake Silver. No fancy designs, just pure color, top and bottom.

However, even though I made it clear to the painter that I needed to keep the weight down, it came back with a whopping 10.7 oz of paint!!!!

Oh! No!! Oh !%$#^&&!

I completely set-up the plane with all components, drilled every hole required, and balanced it with the battery as far back as I could, all prior to painting. I added 4oz of weight behind the CG to simulate the weight of paint aft of the CG, as well. I was hoping for around 5 to 6 oz of paint, max.

Now, I've calculated that the weight of the paint aft of the CG is 9oz. That amount minus the battery(3oz and the 4oz of weight used to simulate the weight of the paint), leaves me with 2oz of weight needed to balance the plane. I'm pretty sure I can get a spinnernut machined to balance the plane. That, and move a bigger battery all the way forward. But that's not all....

I'm thinking that the total weight will be around 5lbs 8oz.

So, this is probably the heaviest Whiplash around.

I think I'm going to have to build a catapult for it.

I'm somewhat concerned about SydClement's method of stretching rubber bands or surgical tubing back to hook onto the trailing edge for launch assist...

What if one of the elastics broke on launch?

What if they both didn't pull equally on launch??

I'll keep you posted on what it takes to get it right again.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:15 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Bummer..

Yeah..I'm a Monokote kinda guy, and I was weighing my "Lash every step. I gained almost 4 oz just putting stripes on the bottom and flames on the top..with Rustoleum! It sure adds up..

I bet the paint guy didn't think 10oz was all that much...it wouldn't be on a Harley or something..
Old 01-17-2003, 04:02 AM
S3HD

Default Not the painter's fault

Chuck,
I guess it sounds like I'm trying to blame the painter. He did what I asked for. Used the type of paint I wanted and it looks like a million bucks. He used to fly R/C, so he knows about planes, he's also restored an award-winning Stearman(full-scale) and is working on a very rare(one-of-a-kind) Waco.
I picked out the paint, PPG Global process, and told him to do what he thought was best - I also told him that I hoped he could keep the weight down as much as possible, BUT, that I was interested in a very nice finish. I couldn't be happier with the result, except for the additional weight. So.... I will just have to figure out how to launch this Whiplash and get it up to flying speed - and how to land it with the higher wing loading.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:20 AM
ChuckAuger

Default No, I hear ya..

I didn't think that, I was agreeing with ya. I couldn't believe how fast it adds up....and I have no one to even try to blame it on LOL I was the culprit.

As for the launcher..I wonder what keeps the plane from torquing around and hitting one of the launch rails even without the bungees.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:18 AM
sydclement

Default ACM Power Launcher

Hi Chuck and S3HD;

There is a shuttle attached to the Whiplash behind the
engine backplate that rides the rails and falls clear after
the Whip clears the rails. Rick got that working good.

I made a small mod to the rail ends and attached rubber
to each side back to the wing tips.

The rubber is 19 inches long relaxed and stretches out
to 12 pounds of pull on each wing tip for a total of about
25 pounds total. Use a fish weighing "pull scale" to get the
pull and balance correct.

I tested it without the engine running and it shot straight
into my arms. It works safe and fast with full throttle.

I'll send pics to your E-mail if you want..

Syd Clement
Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 PM
S3HD

Default Too much paint

SydClement,
I remember your original post on your launcher, recently reviewed it. Do you have more pictures than what you posted? If so, you I'd like to see them. Thanks.
What do you think of having one bungee pulling a cradle. The bungee could be staked out in front of the launcher and pulled back to it, attaching to the underside of the cradle. I'm also wondering if a spring with adjustable tension could be used, like the kind that is used to throw clay pigeons.
I've also mulled over the idea of a dolly that would ride on a rail. The Whiplash would sit on top of it, and the rail would keep it going straight. You would set it up in the direction of desired take-off and go, allowing the Whiplash to fly off the dolly. Figuring out how long the rail has to be would be somewhat tricky, but it could be made long and then shortened after experience is gained.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:28 PM
ChuckAuger

Default Syd..

Sure..I'd love to see your pics. Please shoot them to me if you don't mind. My Whiplash has been ready to fly for some time, but I haven't had anybody to throw it. Now it looks like the guy who usually does my throwing is going to have back surgery (man I hope it's not from throwing my planes! LOL) so it may be a while before I get to fly it. if I don't rig a launcher.

TIA
Old 01-17-2003, 11:35 PM
sydclement

Default Power launcher

Chuck and S3HD;

Send me an E-mail [email protected]
and I'll return one with the rest of the Pics that are
not on my power launcher post.

S3HD; The time your going to spend designing your
own launcher and taking a chance of dinging your