Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Engine Driven Fan?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Engine Driven Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Torqued

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Driven Fan?

Im sure this must have been asked before, sorry if this is a repeat question. My question is, has anyone ever built a custom jet using the same type of setup as an electronic ducted fan, but use an engine to power the internal fan? This would be the same type of setup that a jetski uses with an internal impeller rather then an external prop. You would have to fabricate an extended driveshaft and some sort of impeller housing to make it work. The engine could then be internal and much slicker than the jets you see with the prop on the nose or the rear. You still dont get that awesome jet sound but I figure this could be the next best thing? Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Kaos1

Default RE: Engine Driven Fan?

What you are describing sounds like a ducted fan. Check out the jets forum and you will find a lot of info.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Nitro & electric powered like these ?

http://www.jethangar.com/Ducted%20Fans/df.html
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Torqued

Ahh, so they already to have them no surprise there! My design thought is somewhat different though. I envisioned the duct to have only a drive shaft with the engine outside the duct. It would seem to me that the engine would greatly disrupt the flow of air from the fan in the designs in the above links.

Here is more of what I was thinking and PLEASE excuse the extremely crude drawing

Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Torqued

Im sure this must have been asked before, sorry if this is a repeat question. My question is, has anyone ever built a custom jet using the same type of setup as an electronic ducted fan, but use an engine to power the internal fan? This would be the same type of setup that a jetski uses with an internal impeller rather then an external prop. You would have to fabricate an extended driveshaft and some sort of impeller housing to make it work. The engine could then be internal and much slicker than the jets you see with the prop on the nose or the rear. You still dont get that awesome jet sound but I figure this could be the next best thing? Thoughts?

You must be new to RC. Not to put that down but the Ducted Fan has been around for years and is becoming obsolete with the Turbines
Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Torqued

Ahh, so they already to have them no surprise there! My design thought is somewhat different though. I envisioned the duct to have only a drive shaft with the engine outside the duct. It would seem to me that the engine would greatly disrupt the flow of air from the fan in the designs in the above links.

Here is more of what I was thinking and PLEASE excuse the extremely crude drawing

Ducted fan engines usually turn over 20,000 rpm so a drive shaft may have to be heavy and complex (braces and bearings). Also there would be no engine cooling unless you were moving forward. I think the outlet should not be a nozzle also. There are my non expert thoughts.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Torqued

Look at my post count Of course I am new. After reading more on this topic, I realize that the EDFs are pretty much replacing the GDF's. I figured it would be the other way around, but hey what do I know I am brand new to this stuff. Even in my very short time of reading about RC I am well aware of the turbines, and obviously they are awesome. However, the price tag on those are out of reach for most people. I was just wondering if something existed like this already. Im certainly not an engineer....

Anyway, it seems this is a deadend :P Thx for looking!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
SPEED51J

here you go

http://jetmodelproducts.com/dynamax.htm