Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

What is this plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What is this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Bad_Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this plane?

I have seen this plane flying a couple of times, and it's a fast little screamer! At least the plane I have seen has similarly-shaped wings, fuselage and tail - - - but I could have sworn the one I saw was a smaller scale with about 20" wingspan.
What is it? Who makes it? Where can i get one?
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/shotcache/a2ed7cb0a6559e2ed57b308ddd349a6f.jpg]RCU Photo[/link]
[link=http://image.rcuniverse.com//gallery/photos/25406/lg-82182.jpg]Bigger Photo[/link]
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Xardas26

Default RE: What is this plane?

It's the Ariane P5 from the german company carbon vertrieb.

http://www.carbon-vertrieb.com/site.php?p=32

Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
TIA

350 bucks!

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Bad_Daddy

Thanks for the reply, but I think the plane I saw was actually the VIP.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

27" span, 120mph.... Check out the Voodoo if you want this kind of plane... These are pretty specialized especially if you are looking to make it a speed plane. Obviously you'll have a million questions......

My latest, the Cheetah...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43756.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	619597  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Xardas26

It's the Ariane P5 from the german company carbon vertrieb.

http://www.carbon-vertrieb.com/site.php?p=32

That's mine. Close but not quite It's an Avionik D-99 from Russia. Try www.icare-rc.com or www.soaringusa.com
They may or may not still offer that airframe. This is not a S400 size plane like the low wing Cheetah, it is a 1 meter (41" ) 165sq" wing that will sustain 20+ G's and 180+mph. Video here: http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....60f7489d2d782e

They changed the airframe rules in F5D and they grew about 30% in size. The newer models are bigger and have a lighter wing loading making them easier to fly all around but they don't suffer in top speed by any measureable amount since you can usually shoe-horn more power into the fuse.

If you want something like that for 'sporting around' at 150mph take a look at the Sunracer V2. It's a very nice airframe but the wing is glass and has issues at 160mph+ due to aeroelastic issues in the ailerons. A nice 3S lipo set up and a brushless motor that'll spin a 4.7APC at 30K would be a good set up. Bang for buck it's a great model...
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU
If you want something like that for 'sporting around' at 150mph take a look at the Sunracer V2. It's a very nice airframe but the wing is glass and has issues at 160mph+ due to aeroelastic issues in the ailerons. A nice 3S lipo set up and a brushless motor that'll spin a 4.7APC at 30K would be a good set up. Bang for buck it's a great model...
It's beautifully made. http://www.jutstar.com/sf/sunracer.htm The picture has not changed, I presume this is now the V2.

Mega 16/15/3, 2100 mAH 3s LiPo, 4.75 x 4.75 prop is a good setup apparently; my buddy is just finishing one up now and guess who gets to test fly it.

MJD
Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Troy-RCU

Sunracer V2 got rid of those unnecessary wingtips...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
evan-RCU

I'm wondering if I should have gotten something like the Sunracer or Voodoo instead of the Cheetah..... It's been one thing after another. I probably should have ordered the Mega 16/15/3 instead of the /2. I've gotten it to run with the tiny cut down props, and the R's are very impressive but the /3 would have been much more user friendly. Then there's the tiny size of the fuse, it came down to thinner heat shrink and less fiber tape on the battery, that's how tight it is. The final hurdle right now is the reciever. There is just enough room for a GWS naro horizontal pin 6 channel, but, the thing gets a max of 40 feet of reception with the antenna colapsed. It works great in other airplanes so I'm assuming it's that the fuse is all carbon fiber reenforced and the antenna is the short one so it only hangs out 14 or 15 inches. I don't want to buy a Berg or something else to only find it won't fit or has range issues too....

Troy you are a wealth of info and I remember a post you put up saying if you have to ask questions the Cheetah is not for you, I agree.....

Anyone reading this listen to Troy, he knows of what he speaks.....

All this and it's supposed to be a bear to fly.... Though it easily has 3x1 power with the /2 motor, easily...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Troy-RCU

Thanks for the endorsement I try to help in areas I've found doing things the hard way and learning from others. I learn something new everytime I browse forums.

Regarding the tight fuselage, it becomes pretty standard practice to shorten all wires and get rid of any bulky connectors or 'fancy packaging' like your heavy-duty battery heatshrink in the S400 airframes. I call it wire-management and sometimes it takes just as long to sort out the wires as it does to install all of the gear and linkages. In the end it makes life a lot easier if everything has its place and the gear gets stuffed in exactly the same spot every time. This helps with your CG (so it doesn't change from flight to flight) and the potential mess of wires getting caught on things like servo arms or getting pinched by a wing bolt. It's just the nature of sleek, minimal designs like these that are designed around the bare essential equipment.

Those GWS receivers are basically parkflyer receivers and don't range check like the standard receivers. If it works well on other planes at reasonable distances then you are probably good since you will not be flying the Cheetah far out because of its size. I use dual conversion or full range receivers on the bigger stuff since they are faster and have more visual range.

You might try a 2S lipo on the 16/15/2 if you want to run a bigger prop. You'll knock off some top end but it will have more lower end grunt.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
evan-RCU

Thanks Troy like I said I have the 3S battery and it's issues worked out, Right now it's just finding the right reciever... Wire management was actually pretty easy after I tossed the Deans Ultra and soldered on some bullet connectors...